Victoria Public Market at The Hudson

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#221 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:45 PM

Well, I'm sure a dispensary will move into the vacuum.

chances of them renting to one are low.....    Also as a location it would not work well

#222 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

Chatting with someone today who works on the site ... he said the word is once the new rental high-rise is half built construction will start on the next phase. 

#223 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

Chatting with someone today who works on the site ... he said the word is once the new rental high-rise is half built construction will start on the next phase. 

Please let that be the 24-storey tower!

#224 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Anyone aware "the Grocer" in Hudson is closed.. and re-opening again under new name/management ?

I'm wondering if they are expanding into the former 'smoke n bones' location, which would be directly behind the wall within their current location of the Hudson market.

#225 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

Anyone aware "the Grocer" in Hudson is closed.. and re-opening again under new name/management ?

I'm wondering if they are expanding into the former 'smoke n bones' location, which would be directly behind the wall within their current location of the Hudson market.

The |Grocer was being run by Townline and they never wanted to be in that business.  Will it be reopening for certain?   As i understand many of the leases are up and at least of the businesses are considering leaving.   The space has never drawn the people I think it was hoped to draw

#226 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

My information is that the Country/Urban Pantry is opening in September and taking over the Smokin Bones space plus some of the grocer.

• Nparker and Bernard like this

#227 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

My information is that the Country/Urban Pantry is opening in September and taking over the Smokin Bones space plus some of the grocer.

a good boutique grocery store would really help that site

#228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

Honestly, a nice liquor store would help that site. There's no liquor store for blocks in any direction from The Hudson District.

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#229 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Honestly, a nice liquor store would help that site. There's no liquor store for blocks in any direction from The Hudson District.

a good idea especially if they have empty space soon

#230 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:49 PM

I was told by someone that manages one of the spaces many leases are coming up in September and many businesses are ready to walk away

I don't go there because it seems everyone is on their lunch break somewhere else.

#231 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:03 PM

I would love to see a retail outlet featuring one of the local wineries, breweries or distilleries (preferably all three teamed up). A brewery that doesn't already have a Victoria presence, like say, Category 12. A boutique shopping district is useless without a place to buy some fancy hootch.

• Bernard and Mr Cook Street like this

#232 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:06 PM

I would love to see a retail outlet featuring one of the local wineries, breweries or distilleries (preferably all three teamed up). 

I'm pretty sure liquor laws do not permit this.  And retailing economics say if a liquor store was allowed, they would not offer just products from 3 suppliers.

Budweiser is the top selling packaged beer in Canada, why would you not want to sell that?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#233 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

I'm pretty sure liquor laws do not permit this.  And retailing economics say if a liquor store was allowed, they would not offer just products from 3 suppliers.

Doesn't Mark Anthony wines do that?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#234 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:36 AM

I'm pretty sure liquor laws do not permit this. And retailing economics say if a liquor store was allowed, they would not offer just products from 3 suppliers.

Budweiser is the top selling packaged beer in Canada, why would you not want to sell that?

I seriously doubt it is the top selling beer in downtown YYJ.

I went camping in Port Alberni and the BC liquor store there had nothing for me. If you live there you are basically forced to drink Bud. No wonder why it sells so well...
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#235 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

Cascadia liquor stores are quite nice and locally owned but don't have a downtown presence. I could see them opening up here.

#236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

Wouldn't that be great? The Smoken Bones space would be ideal!

I know the fellas at Northern Quarter have mused about opening a liquor store in one of the empty storefronts north of their restaurant. That'd be alright.

Oh, and I should say that there is a liquor store relative close in the Rialto Hotel, so nobody is in dire straits at The Hudson I guess :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#237 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:28 AM

I know it can never happen, but a growler refill station supporting multiple local craft brewers would single-handedly make the public market a success.

• Dietrich, tedward, Mr Cook Street and 2 others like this

#238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

Not quite what we were hoping, but good news nonetheless!

The-Hudson-District-August-2016.jpg

Changes coming to Victoria Public Market's retailer line-up

http://victoria.citi...tailer-line-up/

The Hudson District’s Victoria Public Market will see several changes to its tenant line-up this summer and fall, according to Hudson District developer, Townline.

“With Hudson Walk One fully leased and Hudson Walk Two slated for completion next summer, demand for retail space in the Hudson District continues to grow,” notes a statement issued by Townline’s Director of Development in Victoria, Justin Filuk.

The most notable change within the public market will be an ownership and concept switch at The Grocer, a small grocery and snack retailer situated along the market’s Douglas Street frontage. [Full article]

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.

#239 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

Not quite what we were hoping, but good news nonetheless!

Changes coming to Victoria Public Market's retailer line-up

http://victoria.citi...tailer-line-up/

The Hudson District’s Victoria Public Market will see several changes to its tenant line-up this summer and fall, according to Hudson District developer, Townline.

“With Hudson Walk One fully leased and Hudson Walk Two slated for completion next summer, demand for retail space in the Hudson District continues to grow,” notes a statement issued by Townline’s Director of Development in Victoria, Justin Filuk.

The most notable change within the public market will be an ownership and concept switch at The Grocer, a small grocery and snack retailer situated along the market’s Douglas Street frontage. [Full article]

Were you on the end of the boom of the crane when you took that photo?

#240 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

I've got some tricks up my sleeve :)

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users