- - - - -

Victoria Public Market at The Hudson

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#201 smartstart

smartstart
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

Have a look at the "about" page...it provides context for the name, it's rather fitting IMHO

http://victoriapubli...bout/our-story/

In 1860, The Hudson Bay’s Company announced they would provide Victoria with land to create a public market, but this never came to fruition. The next year, private citizens took saw this entrepreneurial opportunity and formed the Victoria Public Market Company. The public protested this as profits would go to private speculators, but the building of the small 12-stall market proceeded anyways in July 1861 on the corner of Broad and Fort Street. Unfortunately, the company declared bankruptcy after only two months and the space was converted to a dance house. Partially attributing to this failure was the difficulty for farmers to bring goods into town on the terrible roads. The public still wanted a market, even though they hadn’t fully supported it at the time.

#202 aastra

aastra
  • 20,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

In typical Victorian fashion, people have to complain about what it is not. Yeah, it's not Pike's Place or Granville Island...

Victoria is too much like Vancouver one minute and not enough like Vancouver the next.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#203 aastra

aastra
  • 20,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

The public still wanted a market, even though they hadn’t fully supported it at the time.

Lather, rinse, repeat, for the next 160 years.

• Nparker likes this

#204 LJ

LJ
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

Wasn't the Johnston St. market a public market originally?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#205 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

Public Market changes...

The biggest old news is that the grocer relocated from the very back of the market to the front, next to Silk Road Tea.  Ironically, once Hudson Walk opens it would have been more convenient for those shoppers if the store remained on the east side.  In any case, the grocer likes their new location much better.  The Teriyaki and Roll place is relatively new.  I picked up some Mexican to go from La Cocina - which was really good.  Hopefully the new Townline towers will give this place enough critical mass to make it more vibrant besides just lunch hour.

26390263643_172f77b399_h.jpg

26720484580_ea385f33dc_h.jpg

26390275043_556f648735_h.jpg

26899847192_0277a50147_h.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#206 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

to me the market feels like an upscale food court for the trendy urbanites - there is nothing there that I can afford

#207 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

to me the market feels like an upscale food court for the trendy urbanites - there is nothing there that I can afford

Have you considered getting some of your meals at Our Place?

#208 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

Have you considered getting some of your meals at Our Place?

No I have not

#209 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

No I have not

Free coffee all day according to VHF.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

#210 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:01 PM

Free coffee all day according to VHF.

... and goodies at the "nutrition bar".

Our Place offers a nutrition bar where people can find hot coffee or tea, baked goods, and fruit to help sustain them throughout the day.

https://www.ourplace...w-we-help/meals

• sdwright.vic and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#211 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:08 PM

btw, I have heard that many of the leases are up in September and a number of the businesses are not going to renew

#212 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

btw, I have heard that many of the leases are up in September and a number of the businesses are not going to renew

At the Market?

Despite a very hefty (expensive) professional marketing campaign, the place is not very busy.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#213 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

Yes time to get out just as hundreds of new residents move in.

#214 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

Yes time to get out just as hundreds of new residents move in.

Ya, but those residents are not going to make the place.  You'd be surprised at how big a community you need to support commercial enterprises.  1,000 residents will not do it.  Consider that 25,000 residents live north of University Heights, and south of Mount Doug, but they only marginally support the Save On Foods, Thriftys and Fairways there, and those are grocers with staples.

The Market is hardly supplying that.

• weirdie and Wally like this

#215 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

I was told by someone that manages one of the spaces many leases are coming up in September and many businesses are ready to walk away

#216 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

At $10 an ounce I'm sure you can afford a sandwich, Bernard.

The Market has been close to death for years according to some. What's that saying about wolves and crying?
  • Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

#217 Wally

Wally
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

Ya, but those residents are not going to make the place.  You'd be surprised at how big a community you need to support commercial enterprises.  1,000 residents will not do it.  Consider that 25,000 residents live north of University Heights, and south of Mount Doug, but they only marginally support the Save On Foods, Thriftys and Fairways there, and those are grocers with staples.

The Market is hardly supplying that.

The grocery store at the Hudson doesn't carry enough variety of items to be anything more than a grab and go. I work downtown and often grab a bite at the Hudson. I have never had to stand in line at any of the food outlets and other than the noon rush most are dead. I don't think that a few more people living or working in that area will make enough of a difference.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,931 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

... I don't think that a few more people living or working in that area will make enough of a difference.

So it's better to just let the space die a slow death and become a vacant hole in downtown?

#219 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

Well, I'm sure a dispensary will move into the vacuum.

#220 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,931 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

Well, I'm sure a dispensary will move into the vacuum.

Just the one? There must be room (not to mention a "need") for at least half a dozen in this space.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users