Victoria Public Market at The Hudson

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,804 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

No discussion on the brewpub plans for the Public Market?

Here you go http://vibrantvictor...in-2010/page-84

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 aastra

aastra
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

So am I the only one who didn't know there were a ton of free parking spaces here?

I really like this place. Ended up spending a fortune on stuff for Christmas.

#163 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

where is the free parking?

"I know nothing"

#164 aastra

aastra
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:32 AM

Check this out:

http://www.frenchove...2/free-parking/

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,804 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:09 AM

A lot of people don't know about the parkade parking available to shoppers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#166 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

I didn't know that parkade was reopened to the public. I thought it had been permanently shut down since construction began.

#167 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,804 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

The the parkade underneath Hudson Mews is available to the public. The old Bay parkade remains closed.

Know it all.

#168 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

^Not according to that bakery map.

#169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,804 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

Oh, cool.

Know it all.

#170 aastra

aastra
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

For a city that's so hyper-sensitive about paying for parking you'd think free parking right downtown would be a huge deal.

#171 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

For a city that's so hyper-sensitive about paying for parking you'd think free parking right downtown would be a huge deal.

The Market's website does not even mention it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#172 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

actually not the old smoken bones location

The company developing the Hudson District around the historic Hudson’s Bay building is tinkering with the mix and moving some businesses around at the Victoria Public Market.

Townline has moved The Grocer to a more prominent spot near the Douglas Street entrance of the market from its old location at the rear of the complex. The Grocer has also expanded its inventory with grab-and-go offerings, seasonal potted plants, flowers and more local products.

The market has added VicExpress – Teriyaki + Roll, a Japanese outlet for sushi, sashimi, teriyaki dishes and Japanese wares.

The space left by The Grocer, which faces the carriageway between the Hudson and Hudson Mews buildings, is expected to be filled early this year.

http://www.timescolo...l-mix-1.2143302

Edited by amor de cosmos, 02 January 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#173 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

^ Ya, their retail mix was odd, to say the least.  They could for sure use more deli-type items.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#174 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,658 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

I hadn't ventured in before today Mrs ASE suggested since we were in the neighborhood that we check it out. What a disappointment, this place is awful. Odd mix of retail is right. There is no atmosphere, no energy, (few people) minimal selection and way high prices. Lots of concrete and steel fencing. Yuck. Granville Island this isn't...

Even the "fresh" products at the bakery weren't, in our opinion. Not to mention a cinnamon bun, orange pellegrino, ham croisette and a baguette ran us $33. We won't be back any time soon that's for sure. How the hell can Victoria and/or Townline screw up a pubic market, something that should easily be a winning proposition....? I agree they need more deli-type operations but IMO it will take a hell of a lot more than that to save this operation.

• Bingo, GabriolaGirl and johnk like this

#175 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:04 PM

I hadn't ventured in before today Mrs ASE suggested since we were in the neighborhood that we check it out. What a disappointment, this place is awful. Odd mix of retail is right. There is no atmosphere, no energy, (few people) minimal selection and way high prices. Lots of concrete and steel fencing. Yuck. Granville Island this isn't...

Even the "fresh" products at the bakery weren't, in our opinion. Not to mention a cinnamon bun, orange pellegrino, ham croisette and a baguette ran us $33. We won't be back any time soon that's for sure. How the hell can Victoria and/or Townline screw up a pubic market, something that should easily be a winning proposition....? I agree they need more deli-type operations but IMO it will take a hell of a lot more than that to save this operation.

I think it also just lacks size, it can't be everything.  If you have a store that small, you know how to make money?  Look at 7/11, they are not stupid.  

#176 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,736 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

They should abandon the notion of the catch all "public market" and just be a good space for people to do some shopping for unique food items and have something to eat and drink. There is a place here in Rotterdam like that called the Fenix Food Factory. A little book store, a cheese shop, a bakery, a bespoke cider shop, a cafe (not a coffee shop) and a brew pub. pop ups expand outside in the summer. Simple and very popular. No one buys their groceries there. No need to try to be Granville Island. 

IMO they don't have the volume of space for that so the "public market" brand is misleading. They would have been better off to just give it a hipper name. It's a good space and will only be better as the connection to the back side pedestrian area is built out. Just gotta tweak the vision a bit. Maybe they could sell their sign to Seattle's pike place? 

http://www.fenixfoodfactory.nl

Edited by dasmo, 03 January 2016 - 11:43 PM.

• Jill and thundergun like this

#177 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,818 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

I like the place. It should be bigger but maybe they can find a bigger space for it in the future. Food options are good and I bought a few nice presents for Christmas. There is usually music at lunch and on weekends.
  • Jill likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#178 aastra

aastra
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

When I was there before Christmas there were musicians and a ton of customers. It was very busy. The atmosphere was good.

...just be a good space for people to do some shopping for unique food items and have something to eat and drink.

But... isn't this exactly what it is? It's the market at the Hudson. You shop and you eat and you have a good time. I really think it's a great fit for downtown and a key element of this particular neighbourhood as it gets back on its feet.

• Greg, jonny, Mr Cook Street and 1 other like this

#179 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

I like the market as well, even if it is only a place to grab a locally roasted coffee, a great lunch and a deliceaux pain au chocolat. I love the exposed concrete look of the interior. I think it will be a cornerstone of the north end of downtown for years to come.

I also think the whole feel of the neighborhood is negatively impacted by the work in progress 'Hudson precinct'. I guess I have gotten used to the huge gravel holes. 

I'm pretty excited for the whole of downtown to be (more or less) properly developed like a gosh darn real city from the Leg to the arena. 

Edited by jonny, 04 January 2016 - 11:24 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#180 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,736 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

When I was there before Christmas there were musicians and a ton of customers. It was very busy. The atmosphere was good.

But... isn't this exactly what it is? It's the market at the Hudson. You shop and you eat and you have a good time. I really think it's a great fit for downtown and a key element of this particular neighbourhood as it gets back on its feet.

It is and they should foster that vs trying to be the Victoria Public Market. It presents the wrong image. IMO.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users