Proposal to reduce municipal speed limit to 40 km/h

• Please log in to reply
1454 replies to this topic

#1321 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

Ultimate Helps.  She goes on CFAX Friday to say the smiley face was never her idea, it came from a citizen.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1322 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

Ultimate Helps.  She goes on CFAX Friday to say the smiley face was never her idea, it came from a citizen.

I swear if you look up two-faced in the dictionary her picture will come up.

#1323 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

To be fair, Helps is a citizen.

• Nparker, rjag, sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

#1324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:33 PM

I swear if you look up two-faced in the dictionary her picture will come up.

...and happy face :)

Seriously though, there's going to be quite the fury come election time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1325 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

....Seriously though, there's going to be quite the fury come election time.

As long as there is "quite the change at City Hall" it will be worth it.

#1326 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

I noticed Bay St from Esq to Tyee is now 40km. My car only needs a single gear to drive around this city. Ridiculous.

Edited by Dr. Barillas, 12 October 2016 - 10:11 AM.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#1327 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:17 AM

I noticed Bay St from Esq to Tyee is now 40km. My car only needs a single gear to drive around this city. Ridiculous.

Proponents of this plan claimed we'd be shifting gears less.  I shift more now. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1328 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:08 AM

I was called all sorts of names by the folks over at CARS for suggesting that this would result in an increase in distraction for drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny5tANPEttk

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1329 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:19 AM

Lawrie McFarlane has a great piece in today's T-C about the decision to reduce spit limits to 40 KM/h in Oak Bay

...Let’s see if this piece of political flimflam matches our cynic’s description. First, did Oak Bay go looking for, and find, a problem that does not exist? Answer, yes. According to the Insurance Corp. of B.C., the number of traffic crashes in Oak Bay declined from 116 in 2009 to 105 in 2013 — the latest year for which numbers are available. In other words, there is no rising epidemic of smash-ups that might have justified slowing the traffic...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.9AuhIeT5.dpuf

• On the Level likes this

#1330 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

Lawrie McFarlane has a great piece in today's T-C about the decision to reduce spit limits to 40 KM/h in Oak Bay

"It matters not to Oak Bay or Victoria if commuters from Langford arrive late for their jobs downtown."

Lawrie should explain to those Langford-to-downtown commuters that they don't need to go through Oak Bay. That would save them more time than any changes to speed limits.

• aastra and GaryRanson like this

#1331 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

the decision to reduce spit limits to 40 KM/h in Oak Bay

I missed that on first read. Makes total sense. I wouldn't want someone spitting at me any faster than that :-)

• Nparker likes this

#1332 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

In fairness, Oak Bay is only slightly larger than a postage stamp, I'm not sure there is all that much opportunity to wind it up to 50kmh.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1333 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

In fairness, Oak Bay is only slightly larger than a postage stamp, I'm not sure there is all that much opportunity to wind it up to 50 kmh.

So why even bother spending Council's (i.e. the taxpayer's) time to make the change official? 

#1334 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

Makes total sense. I wouldn't want someone spitting at me any faster than that

It still seems confusing to me. How would the law interpret it if you're inside a moving vehicle and somebody spits on you slowly but the vehicle is moving very quickly?

#1335 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

You just can't make this stuff up folks.

...Victoria is shopping for solar-powered, radar speed display signs and is asking for ones that have a smiley and frown display...“Awesome,” Helps said when told of the request for proposals....adding that the last time the Times Colonist reported on the suggestion, it “generated an enormous amount of criticism.”“But I don’t care, because it actually works. With simple things like that, people like to feel happy and people don’t like to be frowned at. It’s human nature,” she said...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.GrvPdvz2.dpuf

#1336 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Wouldn't want to spend that money on some cats eyes for around higher risk intersections or something useful like that...

• Nparker likes this

#1337 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

It would have frowny-faced the cyclist passing me in a school zone on my way home today...

• Nparker likes this

#1338 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

http://globalnews.ca...h/?sf52465557=1

An effort is underway to lower the speed limit in North Shore neighbourhoods from 50 kilometres an hour to 30.

and its the same old argument

#1339 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

One of these days I'm going to hit a kid.  Now that I drive Quadra daily, I spend more time staring at my speedometer and trying to maintain a safe balance of sticking to 40kph and managing the tailgaters than I do watching for children and stray puppies. 

• Nparker, GaryRanson and Midnightly like this

#1340 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

So has anyone in Victoria gone on record saying that the increased perception of safety has made them feel better about running around on the road?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users