Photo

Distracted driving and other road safety issues

• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

#601 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

Mr. Lube would be a highway, too. Almost everything is a highway. Driveways for private residences are not.

#602 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Mr. Lube would be a highway, too. Almost everything is a highway. Driveways for private residences are not.

So perhaps they should all be warned against supplying the driver with a newspaper and coffee to read and enjoy while "driving" (a car with no oil).... 

The reach of this legislation is goofy. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#603 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

Ahh... yes! But citizenry have proven that you give them an inch they take a mile. It is all about finding the loophole now! No loophole... no inch.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#604 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:19 AM

It is antiquated legislation for sure. There is a pretty substantial effort to rewrite (and rename) substantial portions of it right now. Last I heard - and it's been quite sometime since I've heard an update - drafts should be coming out at the end of this year under the title "Road Safety Act".

That said the cell phone in Mr. Lube discussion is academic at best. The one bizarre circumstance I could see is someone driving in drunk, and it being subsequently handled by the Police via IRP which requires a vehicle be on a highway.

#605 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

Newspapers aren't electronic devices so there would be no outright ban.

#606 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

Newspapers aren't electronic devices so there would be no outright ban.

Sorry officer, what do you mean I can't read my newspaper while driving to the ferry? 

As far as the law is concerned, a highway is a highway is a highway....

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#607 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

Sorry officer, what do you mean I can't read my newspaper while driving to the ferry? 

As far as the law is concerned, a highway is a highway is a highway....

So confused.

What I was trying to say is you wouldn't get hit with the electronic device laws.  You'd get the more vague careless driving prohibitions.

#608 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Ya, I know what you were getting at...  I'm just saying, reading a news paper while parked over a pit with no oil in your engine is probably considered to be some form of distracted driving. 

#609 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

Legislation cannot be so specific as to say not on a highway but when your oil is getting changed and the car is off its okay. There's an element of reasonableness and public interest that is taken into the reading, enforcement and prosecution of these laws.

That's why about five pages ago someone quoted a site that promotes distracted driving as okay stating to the effect of "the text and drive ticket is almost never given out." That's entirely true, because use electronic device while driving is a more easily defensible but still applicable violation to issue.

People also argue about the definition of driving, saying when they're at an intersection stopped they're not driving.

Then they leave traffic court $167 poorer.

#610 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:50 PM

I have to admit I suffer from distracted driving in warm weather with so many nice young ladies around....does that qualify? 

#611 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

Please turn yourself in, rjag :) 

#612 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

Another benefit of being on two wheels. Easy to rubberneck or even pull over lol.

#613 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

The distracted driving police are pulling over a steady motorcade of distracted drivers on Douglas Street north of downtown and south of uptown. 

• Coreyburger likes this

#614 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

Soon, Apple will introduce a new iPhone feature that will do away with that annoying -- and dangerous -- urge to look at a text message while you're driving.

The feature, called "Do Not Disturb While Driving," will be part of Apple's iOS 11, a new version of the operating software for Apple mobile devices.

Whenever the phone is connected to a car using either Bluetooth or a cable, or if the car is moving, the phone will withhold any notifications for things like text messages or news updates.

If someone does text you while you're driving, the phone can respond with an automatic message telling them you're driving and can't respond just now.

http://money.cnn.com...ving/index.html

#615 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

Good idea. I'll use it - not the auto text reply though. No one needs to get a hold of me that badly by SMS.

#616 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

That's what I don't get at all... no one really needs to get should of anyone that badly 94.9% if the time. If it's really important, I don't text, I call. About the only time I talk on the phone is for stuff needing a immediate response, and those are few and far between... if my phone were to actually ring while I was driving, I would find a place to pull over, cause most likely I don't gonna want to be driving while having that conversation.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#617 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

My phone is bluetooth connected and it lets me know if I have a message and I can choose to listen to it or ignore it. If I say listen to it reads it to me and then gives you the opportunity to respond or not. It's all hand's free, I don't see the problem with that.

The guys that are addicted to messaging are still going to be checking at every opportunity to see if they got a message or not probably more so if they are aware that notifications are shut off.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#618 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

An optional feature. Abusers now will just not enable it.

#619 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

Diverging Diamond Interchange.

First one in Canada.

I sure the first time thru would be confusing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=vwvscTv4OE4

#620 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

http://www.saanichpo...d-speed-reports

The Saanich Police Traffic Safety Unit provides the Speed Reader Board Reports, for members of the public to view, via our website.

The Speed Reader Board Reports (aka: Extended Speed Summary Reports) provide the following:

- The number of days’ data was collected over,

- The average speed,

- The average volume of motorists per day,

- The total number of vehicles speed was measured for, and

- The 85th percentile speed.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users