• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

#581 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

It's legal to have it mounted and playing music, not legal to skip a song.

If you want to change tracks, you need to pull over where safe and legal, put your hazards on, put your high-visibility vest on, helmet, earplugs and steel toed boots, get out of the car, place traffic cones around the car, then change tracks. 

You are allowed to press one single button to answer a hands-free call.  I don't think you're allowed to mute the ringer if you don't want to take said call.  You must sit there with it distracting you with its ringing. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#582 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,359 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

Distracted driving penalties have been significantly raised in BC today, and goes up very quickly for multiple offences. 10th offence = 15 grand.

Just 2 offences results in a review of your license (1 offence for L/N drivers).

#583 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

Irresponsible behaviour just got a lot more expensive. Good.

#584 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

Irresponsible behaviour just got a lot more expensive. Good.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that picking my phone up off the floor while at a stop light after it slid off the dash was irresponsible. 

Or paying for my Tim Hortons in the drive-thru with Apple Pay...

Or simply taking my credit card out of my phone case/wallet in the drive-thru...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#585 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,359 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that picking my phone up off the floor while at a stop light after it slid off the dash was irresponsible. 

Or paying for my Tim Hortons in the drive-thru with Apple Pay...

Or simply taking my credit card out of my phone case/wallet in the drive-thru...

The first one - yes, you're being an idiot for putting it there in the first place.

The other two, should be exceptions for stuff like that - spirit of the law etc.

#586 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

I don't think the drive thru usage counts. You're on private property, not a roadway.

#587 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

I don't think the drive thru usage counts. You're on private property, not a roadway.

...I'm not so sure about that. For the purposes of the M.V.A. a parking lot is considered to be a "highway", even though it's on private property (as long as the public has access to it)

#588 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

Here is the prohibition:

Prohibition against use of electronic device while driving

214.2  (1) A person must not use an electronic device while driving or operating a motor vehicle on a highway.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1), a person must not communicate by means of an electronic device with another person or another device by electronic mail or other text-based message.

It entirely hinges on the definition of "highway".

"highway" includes

(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act ,

(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and

© every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,

but does not include an industrial road;

Edited by nagel, 10 May 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#589 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

so, "for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles".  I would argue that using a drive thru fits neither of these purposes.  You aren't parking and the vehicle is not being serviced.

#590 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

so, "for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles".  I would argue that using a drive thru fits neither of these purposes.  You aren't parking and the vehicle is not being serviced.

Read (b)

#591 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

Read (b)

Well which is it?  A lane?  The ordinary definition of lane is a narrow road.  I don't see a drive thru as being a road.

#592 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

A drive through is a highway. There's case law on it somewhere but to be honest I've exhausted my interest in the subject now :)
  • sebberry and nagel like this

#593 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

You must be right because there's anecdotes on Reddit of people getting tickets in BC for texting in a Sbux lineup and for not wearing a seatbelt.

I guess no more starbucks card purchases.

#594 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,359 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:41 PM

Wait, so if I'm at Mr Lube, sitting in my car while it's getting serviced, I start it up for them etc. as normal, and I'm on my phone... I'm distracted driving?? Technically speaking...?

• sebberry likes this

#595 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:52 PM

Not only is that illegal it's quite dangerous.
  • insanelydeadlydisease likes this

#596 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

A good change that will save many lives, crashes and heartache. Now, let's ensure it works with proper compliance and enforcement.
"I know nothing"

#597 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:18 AM

Meanwhile, pretty much every car that you can buy has multiple touch-screens to control the radio, satellite radio, heating and cooling - all approved, safe, and legal :confused:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#598 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

Wait, so if I'm at Mr Lube, sitting in my car while it's getting serviced, I start it up for them etc. as normal, and I'm on my phone... I'm distracted driving?? Technically speaking...?

Lanforod goes for an oil change while he is distracted driving  http://youtube.com/watch?v=w41v4vShaX8

#599 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,359 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

^ hah, I remember seeing that before. Of course, I'm talking about after I've parked and shut off the engine. At that point I've got 10 minutes or whatever to kill, so I grab my phone and do some work or play a game or something. Legal, I think, as you're parked and the car is off. However, you need to start the car at some point... Better put the phone away first!

#600 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

Maybe Gipper can come on on answer some questions about this in regard to being in oil change places and drivethrus

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users