BUILT
Encore
Uses: condo, townhome
Address: Sitkum Road at Saghalie Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Encore at Bayview Place is a 17-storey, 134 unit condo in the Saghalie District of Bayview Place, a multi-phas... (view full profile)
Learn more about Encore on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Encore at Bayview Place | Condos | 17-storeys; 56 meters | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
1107 replies to this topic

#521 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

When I look at the new bridge from BAYVIEW i think that there should have been rail included on it. Internet Police...relax

#522 Ryan Roberts

Ryan Roberts
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

Rail and communicating with Bosa.

A few points on rail and Encore: (1) Discussion of rail is relevant here since the potential noise(and possible vibration) impact on many residences in Encore and at other nearby properties can be dramatic.   (2) Depending on the equipment and commitment of planners, noise from the LRT trains can be FAR less of a problem for all residents in the area than unnecessary but LOUD and periodic bell or horn systems at intersections. Note, in the worst case of designers gone mad, bells can be set to start ringing  while the trains are  blocks away from the crossings  and a block away after departing the crossing.  (3) It is my understanding, do not assume I am right, that the entire right of way is owned by various non-private sector corporate entities.

I am not looking at alternatives now since, possibly, such a discussion does go beyond our scope--at the moment. Let me just add the view that the developer proposed site is probably optimal for Encore buyers if a rail based commuter line is to be built.

In response to an earlier query: Communicating with BOSA seems very difficult since the sales office was closed and final deposits were made.  My  suspicion is that they have  too many projects on-going relative to their current human resources in Vancouver.  

Edited by Ryan Roberts, 01 April 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#523 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

Rail and communicating with Bosa.

A few points on rail and Encore: (1) Discussion of rail is relevant here since the potential noise(and possible vibration) impact on many residences in Encore and at other nearby properties can be dramatic. 

Oh please,,,trains coming through that yard are not freight trains screaming through at high speed blasting their horns.

This is the end of the line the little train will be crawling through you'll get more vibration and noise from  the Harbour Airplanes coming and going.

Laying new rails and ballast will dampen any vibration from trains that will be traveling at about 5kmh

Are their histories available pertaining to complaints from Songhees residents  re: trains

Edited by HB, 01 April 2017 - 10:08 AM.

• RoadRunner likes this

#524 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

.... (2) Depending on the equipment and commitment of planners, noise from the LRT trains can be FAR less of a problem for all residents in the area than unnecessary but LOUD and periodic bell or horn systems at intersections. Note, in the worst case of designers gone mad, bells can be set to start ringing  while the trains are  blocks away from the crossings  and a block away after departing the crossing...

I suppose the question needs to be asked then if the rail tracks were laid before or after Encore was proposed.

#525 Ryan Roberts

Ryan Roberts
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

HB...Visit Edmonton or research problems there. These are all actual problems which arose  on both the "southern extension" and the newest "northwest extension".  Note  that I focused on the noise problems at intersections where bell systems are to be used. Original plans in Edmonton for the "south" extension in 2007 called for regular train horns to be used.   The plans were altered only after citizen complaints.Best  not to assume that planners are rational or will live near crossings.  

#526 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

It will have to use the horn to cross Esquimalt Rd.  That's a given.  Beyond there, they might be able to apply for an exemption.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#527 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

It will have to use the horn to cross Esquimalt Rd.  That's a given...

I don't get it. Encore will be a mobile building and will employ some sort of sonic device when it decides to relocate? I am surprised this hasn't made bigger headlines.

Or am I in the wrong thread?

#528 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

Well the horn blowing once in a while when it crosses Esquimalt rd should not bother those people living there too much,  its not even close to them and only one side of the building will attract sounds form that side..not a big deal

#529 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

Of course you're also on a rocky outcropping at Encore, which will mitigate all vibrations. Closer to the tracks, however, it might be a different story. I suppose it all comes down to how much is invested into the trackbed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#530 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

I don't get it. Encore will be a mobile building and will employ some sort of sonic device when it decides to relocate? I am surprised this hasn't made bigger headlines.

Or am I in the wrong thread?

This thread is partly about how commuter rail might affect Encore residents.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#531 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Thats obvious Encore

#532 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

This thread is partly about how commuter rail might affect Encore residents.

But these posts would make much more sense in the commuter rail thread since the residents of Encore are far from the only ones affected by potentially restored train service.

#533 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

Who cares where the posts are they are related to each other just enjoy the conversation and don't worry about the finer details life is too short ...we dont need micro management here nor do they need it at the Encore construction site..not trying to railroad you here

#534 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

So what's the point of having thread topics at all then?

I understand several more pot shops are looking to get licensed by the CoV.

• DavidSchell likes this

#535 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

But these posts would make much more sense in the commuter rail thread since the residents of Encore are far from the only ones affected by potentially restored train service.

The discussion here is particularly related to the placement of the terminal at the Roundhouse grounds.

So we can allow it.

#536 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

The discussion here is particularly related to the placement of the terminal at the Roundhouse grounds.

So we can allow it.

And I can continue to question its relevance to Encore as opposed to numerous other residences adjacent to the Roundhouse, but carry on.

#537 Ryan Roberts

Ryan Roberts
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

Placement of the terminal and the rules governing noise levels at other crossings  are very important to Encore and the livability and value of units there.  The horn would not be blowing "once and a while" at each crossing but twice every hour since trains both come one way and go the other every hour. This may likely occur from 6 AM to 11 PM.  I do not believe that a loud horn should be taken as a given, since this will be a commuter line not a major rail line.  But even loud bells every half hour will have a major impact on quality of life for at least half of the residents of Encore.

By the way, all bells  were removed at some downtown crossings in Calgary long ago; they rely on traffic signal systems, flashing warning lights, traffic barrier bars, pedestrian gates. and passive pedestrian protection systems. To my knowledge, which is very comprehensive on this issue, no horns were ever actually used on the Calgary or Edmonton LRT systems.

This is not micro-managing construction at Bosa; this is dealing with what should be a major public issue with costly implications--both in terms of value of units and quality of life--for Encore owners.

One of the early orders of business for the strata council at Encore may be preparation of  submissions on these issues. In fact, it may be the first serious issue faced by the council after deciding fundamental long term reserve building issues..

While spokespersons for BOSA and its affiliates may try to understate the seriousness of these issues on the Facebook site or elsewhere, prospective owners should not be easily misled.

#538 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

I wonder how many Bayview residents (including Encore) would ever take the train west. Where would they be going? I assume there will be the same location for a station in Langford at Station Street. If you are dropped off there, you would have to take some other means of transportation to get anywhere you are likely to go. I still think it's a great idea though for people coming in from the west. And if it proves to be truly viable, development will occur closer to the tracks.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#539 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

If I want to take a subway from Union Station to Scarborough in Toronto I need to get from my home to the station by whatever means whether it's a bus or a taxi then when I get to Scarborough I may need to hop another bu's to get to my work....if I am going to take a train from prince Rupert to Edmonton same thug

Why is this such a contentious issue ?

#540 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

Sounds like some people think there should be a railroad track in front of every address in the city so it's ultra convenient for those who don't want to take a bus or drive to a station

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users