Tesla Motors of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#41 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:35 AM

What about the major negative externalites of ICE (internal combustion engine) cars where society has to pick up the tab?

No argument from me on that, however massive improvements in this arena over the last 20 years in the pollution control front have significantly reduced the effects. Combatting congestion would also go along way to reduce those effects.

My comments regarding Tesla subsidies are based on his actions. The car is a by product of tax credits both collected and sold on..... Like I said I'm not knocking the car.... It's evolutionary and setting a high bar, but I don't think in the long run it will survive in its current form. Auto production will be dropped and focus will drill down to battery design and power storage

Edited by rjag, 19 December 2015 - 08:39 AM.

• spanky123 likes this

#42 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

Well, Apple is apparently thinking about building an electric car as well, of course it will priced higher than any other electric car.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#43 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,490 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:45 AM

No, your passengers in the back seat can get out, you can't, necessarily.

They are too expensive, complicated, prone to failure, and put a heavy load on the roof member which needs to be heavily reinforced.

If your car is in an accident, even a minor one, they have to go to a Tesla approved shop for repair and they are very expensive to fix.

And how would that be different to any other car?

Too expensive compared to? Are you somehow entitled to one?

why would you pit a heavy load on the roof? "Stow everyone's gear in Model X's large front trunk, rear cargo area and under passenger seats. The front trunk is large enough to hold two golf bags and the rear cargo area can easily hold large items like bicycles, skis and snowboards. Hitch mounted accessory carriers hold additional gear. Model X is the first electric vehicle with a 5,000 pound towing"

if you want easy and cheap to fix you buy a Toyota corolla. Buyers of luxury vehicles know full well repairs will be expensive. Try owning a Westy... 

#44 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

^I think the "they" in LJ's comments refers to the wing doors, not the car in general.

• LJ likes this

#45 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,490 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

^I think the "they" in LJ's comments refers to the wing doors, not the car in general.

Ha ha. I see that now. I somewhat retract what I said above. ;-)

#46 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

Worth noting that all the big auto companies in North America get huge subsidies from provincial/state and national governments.

#47 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:25 PM

Worth noting that all the big auto companies in North America get huge subsidies from provincial/state and national governments.

All electric vehicles get huge subsidies in North America.

For example: http://www.mto.gov.o...le-rebate.shtml

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

There's a giant advertisement on a bus shelter on Yates at Douglas that literally says "Save $8,000 on this Smart Car with a government subsidy."

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

I was hoping that Hydrogen cars would have become more common.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#50 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

Here is how a relatively minor accident in a Tesla becomes very expensive......

http://gas2.org/2015...-tesla-model-s/

But it still might be my next vehicle.

#51 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

That explains why the Tesla behind me in traffic today had the high-beams on.  Wanted to make sure he could be seen!

tesla.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#52 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,490 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:34 AM

But it still might be my next vehicle .

Is this like the Mac Vs PC thing but Bio fuel vs Electric?

Edited by dasmo, 22 December 2015 - 12:34 AM.

#53 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:39 PM

There was a Tesla driving around downtown today with its side mirrors folded in......software glitch or driver totally not paying attention? 

Also, what's the deal with Teslas parking at Hillside Mall at the car charging designated spot but not actually charging?

• sebberry and lanforod like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#54 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,490 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

There was a Tesla driving around downtown today with its side mirrors folded in......software glitch or driver totally not paying attention?

Also, what's the deal with Teslas parking at Hillside Mall at the car charging designated spot but not actually charging?

As far as I know the AI is not that good in Tesla's where you can start blaming them for stuff... ;-)

#55 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

But it still might be my next vehicle.

A lot of the newer luxury cars have aluminum bodies and use special rivets. Not a lot of body shops are certified to do work on those vehicles so the market dictates the price.

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

Hmm. A secretive auto company based in Cali, Faraday Future, plans to upstage Tesla: http://www.topgear.c...out-tesla-tesla

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#57 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

MarkoJ, on 22 Dec 2015 - 9:39 PM, said:

Tesla's require a different charging system than most, they would have to park at a Tesla charging station if they wanted to use it.

#58 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:22 PM

Tesla's require a different charging system than most, they would have to park at a Tesla charging station if they wanted to use it.

Tesla's come with an adapter that allows them to be charged pretty much anywhere.

#59 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,490 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:17 AM

Hmm. A secretive auto company based in Cali, Faraday Future, plans to upstage Tesla: http://www.topgear.c...out-tesla-tesla

It's gotta be Apple. Who else could or would bankroll this? It also has to already been worked on for years. be interesting to see what pops up at CES in 2016 from these guys.

#60 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

Not Apple. Faraday is being pushed by a Chinese billionaire Jia Yeuting, who styles himself as the Asian Steve Jobs.

A direct competitor for Tesla is only a good thing.

As for Apple, I hope they do jump into the fray as well. They do make good products.

Edited by lanforod, 24 December 2015 - 08:05 AM.

• dasmo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)