• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#81 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

Price and availability. 

I don't think availability of the Model S is a huge issue.  Stores can always sell you their demo units, etc. if you can't wait 6-7 weeks for delivery.

Price is a massive factor!  I am considering buying one and the 70D optioned the way I would like it runs about 105k...just a little too much.  If it was 80ish I would pick it up sooner.  I am leaning towards a used P85 but they aren't cheap either -> https://www.teslamot...models/preowned

If gas was $2/liter it would also help someone like myself make the jump quicker (I drive 40,000 km/year).  At gas $1/liter plus a business write off it might as well be free.

I think charging is a bit of a barrier as well.  Most older single family housing stock (think typically Oak Bay home for example) isn't well equipped nor are condo complexes.  With a newer house it is much easier to set up convenient charging location; in my garage I planted the electrical panel close to where the Tesla Battery and charger will be mounted/Telsa plugged in and then I ran wires to two other locations in the garage in the event I had multiple EVs in the future.  Over time I think more people will design their garages accordingly. 

Garage.jpg

and regarding Mike's comment I think the 21'' wheels and air suspension (drops the car to 4.4'' clearance on low setting) makes a difference in appearance.  Most of the Teslas in Victoria have the 19'' wheels.

Attached Images

• Tesla.jpg

Edited by MarkoJ, 15 January 2016 - 12:18 AM.

• lanforod likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#82 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

The model S is a sedan after all. Hard to say it's a poor design. It is a design for mass appeal so you don't want to go too far off left field with it. It's not stupid looking like other EV's or hybrids. It looks like a normal high end sedan. I think that was the point. As far as sedans go it has nice lines and proportions. The Model X is very nice IMO. Understated and a much nicer face. I don't like the front of the S. 

#83 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:13 AM

I don't think availability of the Model S is a huge issue.  Stores can always sell you their demo units, etc. if you can't wait 6-7 weeks for delivery.

Price is a massive factor!  I am considering buying one and the 70D optioned the way I would like it runs about 105k...just a little too much.  If it was 80ish I would pick it up sooner.  I am leaning towards a used P85 but they aren't cheap either -> https://www.teslamot...models/preowned

If gas was $2/liter it would also help someone like myself make the jump quicker (I drive 40,000 km/year).  At gas $1/liter plus a business write off it might as well be free.

I think charging is a bit of a barrier as well.  Most older single family housing stock (think typically Oak Bay home for example) isn't well equipped nor are condo complexes.  With a newer house it is much easier to set up convenient charging location; in my garage I planted the electrical panel close to where the Tesla Battery and charger will be mounted/Telsa plugged in and then I ran wires to two other locations in the garage in the event I had multiple EVs in the future.  Over time I think more people will design their garages accordingly. 

and regarding Mike's comment I think the 21'' wheels and air suspension (drops the car to 4.4'' clearance on low setting) makes a difference in appearance.  Most of the Teslas in Victoria have the 19'' wheels.

I want to see a photo of that white grout in 5 years.

• sebberry and lanforod like this

#84 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

Was that you, Marko showing a place in my building a few days ago?  Saw a black BMW in the parking lot at the same time as a showing.  Can't be too many Realtors around with black BMWs :P 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#85 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:44 AM

The market for EVs is still the people that are interested in electric. Hence the old white dudes (I.e the nerds of yesteryear) forming electric vehicle clubs and the wealthier ones buying Teslas.
Then there's the fashion and tech entrepreneurs that buy them to make a statement. We're still a couple years off the mass market picking up EVs for purely practical reasons
  • jonny likes this

#86 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

The market for EVs is still the people that are interested in electric. Hence the old white dudes (I.e the nerds of yesteryear) forming electric vehicle clubs and the wealthier ones buying Teslas.
Then there's the fashion and tech entrepreneurs that buy them to make a statement. We're still a couple years off the mass market picking up EVs for purely practical reasons

Fair assessment. Tesla needs to deliver on their $35K US car to ever make a truly big impact.

#87 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

I'm surprised the iMiev hasn't sold more. It's so cheap!

#88 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

Fashion is still important. I guess people don't want to be caught driving around in a golf cart with doors and windows.

#89 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

Well it is truly hideous.   Quite a few leaf's around victoria, only seen one or two iMievs

#90 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

That must have been hard to nail UGLY so well..

#91 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

I think I could actually make it work with my business for practical/financial reasons at approximately $2/liter, but right now you are right, it would be more of I want to have the safest car currently in production plus the latest in tech.

#92 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

Fair assessment. Tesla needs to deliver on their $35K US car to ever make a truly big impact.

If they can roll something out even at 45k US that is better than the BMW 3 series, C-Class Benz, Audi A4, etc., it would be a solid volume seller.

#93 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

Was that you, Marko showing a place in my building a few days ago?  Saw a black BMW in the parking lot at the same time as a showing.  Can't be too many Realtors around with black BMWs :P

Wasn't me, most black REALTOR® BMWs are four door.  I went with a two door so I have a solid excuse not to drive people around :)

• nagel and LeoVictoria like this

#94 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

If they can roll something out even at 45k US that is better than the BMW 3 series, C-Class Benz, Audi A4, etc., it would be a solid volume seller.

I think the chance of a $35k Tesla is exactly zero.   They aren't going to be willing to make the sacrifices necessary to hit that price point.  It's a carrot dangled in front of governments to entice tax breaks and subsidies ("no really we're going to make a model for the masses soon").  I think the lower end of the EV market will be addressed by other companies (the Leaf seems to be doing alright in that price bracket right now).

Edited by LeoVictoria, 15 January 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#95 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

Wasn't me, most black REALTOR® BMWs are four door.  I went with a two door so I have a solid excuse not to drive people around :)

Heh.  I could only see the front of it, there was a van blocking the rear doors :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#96 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

Tesla stock is down more than 25% so far this year.

It hit its lowest level since February 2014 on Wednesday.

And even longtime Tesla bull Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley, is suddenly feeling a little less optimistic about the electric car company.

But Jonas conceded that Tesla could be hurt by the continued plunge in oil prices as well as increased competition in the race to create a autonomous, or self-driving, car.

http://money.cnn.com...musk/index.html

#97 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:33 PM

If it wasn't for the CND dollar I think I would load up on Tesla stock right now.

#98 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:13 AM

If it wasn't for the CND dollar I think I would load up on Tesla stock right now.

Earnings are Feb 10 so place your bets. I'm holding.... Short term, They have so many pre-sales the only thing that will affect them is their ability to manufacture, not low oil and high dollar. Long term oil will go up and more competition will validate the platform, improve infrastructure and probably create a large market for their batteries. They aren't building a gigafactory in Nevada for their own tiny sales numbers....

#99 Victoria Contractor

Victoria Contractor
  • Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:43 AM

At gas $1/liter plus a business write off it might as well be free.

you can write the gas off, but CRA won't let you write off a 105k car

#100 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

you can write the gas off, but CRA won't let you write off a 105k car

That is exactly what I am saying.  For example, right now my business car is such a value that I can write it off plus I can write off the gas in addition.  With the Tesla I would be paying an additional 50k for the technology of not having to use gas, but I can't write that addition 50k off.  The economics of it aren't great.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)