Tesla Motors of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#61 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

I see. Interesting. This is very good for Tesla. And EV in general.
http://www.autonews....noreUserAgent=1

#62 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

Not Apple. Faraday is being pushed by a Chinese billionaire Jia Yeuting, who styles himself as the Asian Steve Jobs.

A direct competitor for Tesla is only a good thing.

As for Apple, I hope they do jump into the fray as well. They do make good products.

It seems like they're trying to build a smarter and more luxurious car than the model S, which seems to be the opposite direction Telsa is taking. I'd imagine with the amount of poached BMW and Tesla employees and the open book of patents it shouldn't be difficult for Faraday to come out with something pretty amazing.

• G-Man and lanforod like this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#63 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

Hopefully the BMW recruits don't have their input into styling.

Seems like everyone other than Tesla is totally missing the cue on styling....there is over 50 unsold 2015 BMW i3s in stock between the dealerships in Vancouver and resale prices are already dropping substantially.  Styling in my opinion is largely to blame.

http://www.autotrade...CPO&orup=1_15_2

If it was a half decent looking car and just had a tad more range (like an extra 30-40 km) the BMW i3 would be awesome.

• lanforod likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#64 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

Seems like everyone other than Tesla is totally missing the cue on styling....there is over 50 unsold 2015 BMW i3s in stock between the dealerships in Vancouver and resale prices are already dropping substantially.  Styling in my opinion is largely to blame.

If it was a half decent looking car and just had a tad more range (like an extra 30-40 km) the BMW i3 would be awesome.

Very, very much agree with this. The i3 seems way to 'concepty' at this point.

Tesla is a bit understated though. Something in between would be nice.

#65 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:57 PM

spanky123, on 23 Dec 2015 - 5:22 PM, said:

Tesla's come with an adapter that allows them to be charged pretty much anywhere.

I understood you had to buy that seperately, but the speed of the charge is the question I guess.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#66 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

Seems like everyone other than Tesla is totally missing the cue on styling....there is over 50 unsold 2015 BMW i3s in stock between the dealerships in Vancouver and resale prices are already dropping substantially. Styling in my opinion is largely to blame.

I agree. Most EVs are fugly.

#67 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

I agree. Most EVs are fugly.

I guess love really is blind as I only see beauty when I look at my Leaf :)  

#68 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

I guess love really is blind as I only see beauty when I look at my Leaf :)  

I hope you are not serious :)

#69 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

I've split the posts regarding electric/autonomous cars (non Tesla) into their own thread here: http://vibrantvictor...utonomous-cars/

Please use this thread for Tesla cars and Tesla Motors of Victoria.  Thanks :)

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#70 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

MW-ED339_howmuc_20160114131902_NS.png?uu

• sebberry likes this

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

So the other day in traffic I thought I was in the vicinity of a Nissan sedan, but it turned out to be a Tesla.

The design is just ...so expected, so average. I wish we'd see vehicles with unique styling but instead everything is mashing into a Fomatonisla.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

17 million vs 116 thousand. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#73 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

17 million vs 116 thousand. 

0.685% of vehicle sales with all those taxpayer funded rebates and they still haven't broken 1%....begs the question as to why? Styling? Performance? Range? Reliability? Seems it has to be something other than that as most of that has been discussed...so what is it?

#74 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

0.685% of vehicle sales with all those taxpayer funded rebates and they still haven't broken 1%....begs the question as to why? Styling? Performance? Range? Reliability? Seems it has to be something other than that as most of that has been discussed...so what is it?

They are close to the same volume as Porsche. $100K plus cars don't sell millions of units! My guess is that the strong USD is hurting them as well.

Edited by spanky123, 14 January 2016 - 05:18 PM.

#75 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

Speaking of expensive cars did anyone see the Global news article about how Vancouver is the Supercar centre of North America?

Mercedes and BMW's are for the proletariat, we're talking McLaren, Bugatti, Bentley, Rolls, etc. all being bought up by the young Asian market. They interviewed one couple, the guy was 20 years old, didn't speak English too well so they talked to his girlfriend as they were driving off the lot in a new Aston Martin Rapide. She said " he had a Bentley but it crashed and he needed another car immediately and this one was in the same showroom so he got it"

Wonder how long before this one "immaculately" crashes?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#76 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

It seems like 95% of the luxury vehicles I see here (ie. $75k sticker price or higher) are driven by a young asian person. Brand new BMW 4, 5, 6s, Range Rovers, Mercedes Gx and SLKs, the odd Porche Cayman and 911s. The other 5% are old white dudes.

Tesla is one exception. Every Tesla I've seen looks to be a middle/younger businesman. IE. like Marco.

#77 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

They are close to the same volume as Porsche. $100K plus cars don't sell millions of units! My guess is that the strong USD is hurting them as well.

In 2014, Porsche Delivered Worldwide 189,850 Vehicles, 47,000 in NA. Audi did 1.74 million worldwide with 182,000 in NA....How is that even close?

#78 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

Price and availability. 

#79 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

Tesla has PRESOLD over 30,000 model X cars. Is there any other car company right now that has sold that many vehicles BEFORE they are even made? Tesla's problem is not popularity or desirability. It's having to design, engineer, both a vehicle, a manufacturing plant, a complex procurement system, worldwide distribution network, worldwide charging network and a worldwide support network...from scratch. No one thought it could be done. Tesla is in the middle of doing it and it is nothing but impressive. Very strategic, methodical. To the building of the mega battery plant in Nevada. When the Model 3 comes out, that is the mass appeal car for it won't have the price barrier and it will be more "normal" to buy an electric car. S3X sells...

#80 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:45 PM

It seems like 95% of the luxury vehicles I see here (ie. $75k sticker price or higher) are driven by a young asian person. Brand new BMW 4, 5, 6s, Range Rovers, Mercedes Gx and SLKs, the odd Porche Cayman and 911s. The other 5% are old white dudes.

Tesla is one exception. Every Tesla I've seen looks to be a middle/younger businesman. IE. like Marco.

I have a 4 series and it isn't quite 75k :) nor am I asian :) Hopefully not considered a white old dude either at this point.

My Tesla observations differ from yours.  There is a red one driven by an older lady.  There is also another older lady driven one that I've seen turning on to Island Beach a few times.  The ones with the vanity plates, "Wat Gas," "Gas lol," etc., all seem to be 50 to 65 year old white dudes.

There is one black one with 21'' turbines driven by a late 20s young businessperson dude, but he would be the exception rather than the norm.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users