The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#281 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

...I don't understand the black gates. There's no fence running the length there currently so I don't know what the plans are. Is the walkway going to be split in two east/west?

Is this to which you refer?

gates.JPG

#282 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

^Yes, I was hoping for a solution that would successfully integrate the walkways together but the gate implies they will be split in two like the one between 834 Johnson and the CCC.

#283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

I agree. Uniting the walkways seems like the better solution, but I suppose having the front doors of several private residences directly off the walkway precludes this to some extent.

#284 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

Dare I ask ... when do we predict excavation might begin ...

#285 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:20 PM

I hate to be such a stinker about this project but doesn't it seem like they phoned in the design of those townhouses? It's as if the city has advocated for these mid-block passages while never really coming to terms with why they're doing it. What's the point If there are no meaningful standards for the environments within? Shortcuts for the sake of shortcuts?

The passages need to be attractive (dare I say it, "hidden gems") so that they get a regular flow of traffic, so that the user gets rewarded for entering, and so that residential and/or commercial uses might actually be able to succeed within them. I'm making a distinction here between mid-block passages as merely serviceable shortcuts as versus mid-block passages as instruments for enhancing the downtown environment. The "serviceable shortcut" aspect should be way down on the list of concerns. Heck, it shouldn't even be a concern at all.

Era and the Hudson did it right. The passages need to have personality or else they're pointless. If a passage lacks personality then all you've done is accommodated that small number of people who used to cut through the parking lot. Accommodating such people should be a concern for city planners? Give me a break. Anyway, I'll be surprised if these passages on the 800-block aren't duds.

• Greg and DougG like this

#286 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

...I'll be surprised if these passages on the 800-block aren't duds.

The existing mid-block crossing here is already a bit of a dud. I am not sure anyone needs a short cut from Yates to the CCH in any case.

#287 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

The existing mid-block crossing here is already a bit of a dud.

That's because it wasn't wide enough.

#288 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

It's as if the city has advocated for these mid-block passages while never really coming to terms with why they're doing it. What's the point If there are no meaningful standards for the environments within? Shortcuts for the sake of shortcuts?

I agree. I feel by the time the architect puts pen to paper they themselves are unsure whether this passageway that been imposed upon them should attract or repel people. It's like their heart isn't into it.

#289 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

With no commercial spaces planned along this walkway (right?), other than staff entering the government offices on the west side and residents accessing the townhouses on the east, who is going to be drawn into this area regardless of how wide it is?

Fan Tan Alley is extremely narrow, so it's not like a space needs to be wide to create vibrancy.

Edited by Nparker, 09 June 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#290 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

That's because it wasn't wide enough.

I was joking, FYI. A wider lane might be justified or beneficial where (for example) it would facilitate a nice view through to another building or some such thing. Or where more light might aid trees etc. within the lane. But wider doesn't equal better just because.

#291 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

Have sales started for this project?

#292 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

Era and the Hudson did it right. The passages need to have personality or else they're pointless. If a passage lacks personality then all you've done is accommodated that small number of people who used to cut through the parking lot. Accommodating such people should be a concern for city planners? Give me a break. Anyway, I'll be surprised if these passages on the 800-block aren't duds.

Passage personality here is not going to cut it with the cycling population as one end of the passage would access View Street that has been confirmed as inhospitable.In short you are correct... it's a DUD.

#293 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

Passage personality here is not going to cut it with the cycling population as one end of the passage would access View Street...

Unless the developer has undisclosed plans to extend the "YonY" project across Yates Street - perhaps via some sort of skyway to Yello - the mid-block passage will connect Johnson with Yates, not View. I am not sure how cyclists feel about either of these streets.

• nagel likes this

#294 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

went to see their vip event, was told the following:

1) 1bed no parking is about 350k

2) 2bed with parking is about 400k.

sales person has no idea about the pricing, nor know how they are going to assign/sell the suites.

buyers has to fill a suite request form listing their 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th choice.....

it's not a draw either... sales person was not able to explain how this **** works

350k without parking is a no go for me as  it indicates the price is like $740/sqft. it does not make sense to keep the cash flow positive either.

• jonny likes this

#295 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

I've bought 6 pre-sales since 2009 ((834, Promontory, Era, Encore (two units), and most recently Lyra a couple of months ago)).

I've always bought where I've seen a 10 to 15% discount to re-sale market.

Problem right now is the market is so overheated and there is so much speculation that there is very little, if any discount to near new re-sale comparables.

I sold my Era one bed without parking for $362k a month ago thinking I would get back into the Yates on Yates at around 300k+GST for a similar unit but such is not the case; strategy backfired :)

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#296 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

This rendering from the Chard site looks great - much better than the initial renderings of course.

Yates_Retail_websitejpg.png

Edited by zoomer, 14 June 2017 - 10:17 AM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#297 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

This rendering from the Chard site looks great...

One small quibble...those don't look the the buildings that actually exist on Johnson Street (as seen through the mid-block walkway). Red awnings & ground floor retail? The CCH is also conspicuous for its absence.  ;)

#298 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

The walkway through the Union on Pandora is a bit of a dud. It's serviceable enough (although a bit narrow in spots) but it has no personality at all. Considering that it's supposed to reflect the historic Theatre Alley, it's a bit of a disappointment. And they close the gates really early. 

• Nparker likes this

#299 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

Email today says the presentation centre is opening for pre-registrants tomorrow and Sunday, and then for the general public on July 1. Notwithstanding the fact that I can't afford any of their units and am busy preparing to move in one week, my main reason for not attending is that they have not promised free macaroni and cheese (unlike the 989 Johnson launch). 

• zoomer likes this

#300 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

any insider info on pricing/and how sales going?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users