• 522 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

Townhomes at Douglas & Superior

*WARNING BIG IMAGE FILES BELOW*

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

So they're tearing down the hotel on lot 675???
I didn't know this!
[url=http://imageshack.us:07bb7][/url:07bb7]

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Dose are gonna be 'spensive mang.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

They are nice though! So They are taking the spot of the Shamrock Motel?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:37 PM

I hope that that's brick and not red stucco.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

Those are nice. And, yes, they'll be pricey.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

They did the ones on Fort and Carberry Gardens which I think are just about the nicest townhouses in the city so I will assume that they are using brick.

It has a whole new look!

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

The James Bay you want...the James Bay you'll never be able to afford to live in, not in a million years.

No doubt our trusted city councillors will make strong points about how expensive the units will be and how ordinary Victorians would never be able to live in a project like this one.

(crickets chirping)

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:01 PM

JBNEA will think it is perfect then.

It has a whole new look!

#10 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

So we're replacing a little 2-3 story motel with a little 2-3 story luxury housing? Yep, that's james bay.

Don't improve, exclude.... oh james bay.

Have a podium of these super-priced town houses, but have maybe 5-7 stories of RENTALS above. James bay needs more rentals.

How can a neighbourhood of mainly renters be so whipped and dominated by the tiny rich nimby minority? Do they just not care?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

They don't have the facts to care. That's the problem.

When rental accomodations were proposed for JB, the JBNEA fiercly objected stating that the rental units would be for the wealthy. However, when $850,000 townhome proposals surfaced the JBNEA welcomed the development with open arms and praised it for its value to the community.

Now we have a great inner-city lot making way for some 20 $1 million townhomes. Apparently apartments that more individuals can afford or rental space available to all in the community is not on the agenda, even though the JBNEA purports to represent the little guy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:15 PM

Do you know for sure these will be 1 mill? Or were you referring to the Breakwater?

#13 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

Talk about under building. A prime spot like that which is walkable to all
amenities should have something dense built, not something that is little
more than the density the site has had for the past 100 years. There was
once an 8 storey proposal for this site.

#14 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:09 PM

Another joke....

JBNEA: "we want affordable units, we want thousand of rental units"

Developer #1 : Let's build two 16 story rental towers this will give the community over 200 really cheap rental units....(2003)

JBNEA: "Greedy Greedy Greedy, go away.....How dare you...Evil Developer!!!!"

Developer #1: .....sadly walks away......

JBNEA: YEAH!!!!!

Developer #2.....Let's build a five story condo development at 1.89 : 1 density and have some small affordable units, and some larger units affordable for family's to live in Jamesbay (michigan st.) and I will also donate 850,000 dollars to the CRD affordable housing fund too.....

JBNEA..."boooo greedy, bastard, evil developer. You want to kill our neighbourhood! go away, evil, booo....."

Developer #2....sadly walks away...

JBNEA..."YEAH!!!!"

Developer #3.."hmmmm lets build two story townhouses....I will sell them for almost a million each. They will be so cheap to build, less concrete and no crane rentals. I can be in and out in months and make millions!!!

JBNEA...."YEAH!!! finally a developer that cares for our community, This is what is best for our community!!!

Developer #4: I think I might look at building the crystal court motel site...

JBNEA..."Mayor, Council, don't let them build anything here...they only want highend units....they'll kill the city, they'll kill jamesbay. We need low income affordable units for jamesbay. This developer is greedy, they're from Vancouver. They only want to make a buck and build highend units.....please please please.....this should be an affordable housing development....think of the poor...the homeless......

And the deception & B.S. continues!!!!

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

someone needs to resize the above pics.

It has a whole new look!

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:33 PM

The Shamrock Motel as it was

I can't say I'll be sad to see it go since it's been renovated so much it no longer has any of its retro 60s
charm. I do think it's a shame that there soon won't be a motel to stay
within walking distance of the harbour that won't cost you an arm and a leg plus doorman tip.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:10 PM

^That's a good point Holden.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

Do you know for sure these will be 1 mill? Or were you referring to the Breakwater?

Just a guess judging by the prices in that neighbourhood. So let's say $1 mill for the full mortgage + taxes :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

Any guesses to what the monthly strata fees will be?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:58 AM

They did the ones on Fort and Carberry Gardens which I think are just about the nicest townhouses in the city so I will assume that they are using brick.

[url=http://www.zebragroup.ca/:91bf8]Zebradesigns[/url:91bf8] designed these five rowhouses at 1030 Carberry Gardens. When they first went on sale back in August of 2003, Unit 4 was listed for $369,000. In March of this year, the MLS had Unit 1 listed for $619,000. I'd say that was a pretty good return.

The real estate listing described one of the units:

This 3-bedroom, 3-bath unit will have a very 'uptown' New York facade and dramatic interior. Feature fireplace, hardwood floors, private master suite, family room and den, patio, garden area. Living area 1,871 sq.ft. Year built: 2003. GST incl. in price. 2-5-10 Year Warranty. Price may change upon completion of construction.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users