Photo

Victoria's residential rental market

• Please log in to reply
1451 replies to this topic

#1301 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:35 AM

^ Especially when the stress test will be 300-400 bps higher. Not much incentive for your current lender to do better than posted rates then.

#1302 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:40 AM

I am pretty sure that Barrister was being sarcastic.

…but he didn’t use the highly acclaimed VV sarcastic font.
  • Nparker likes this

#1303 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:47 AM

…but he didn’t use the highly acclaimed VV sarcastic font.

I am surprised Barrister didn't look for that font using VV's award winning search function.  ;)

• Matt R., lanforod and Barrrister like this

#1304 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:29 AM

^ Especially when the stress test will be 300-400 bps higher. Not much incentive for your current lender to do better than posted rates then.

Exactly. The banks don’t mind this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1305 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 10:28 AM

I am pretty sure that Barrister was being sarcastic.

It feels so much more welcoming here now. Sarcastic skepticism is gezellig to me. 

#1306 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 10:31 AM

"Gezellig". I had to look this up.

adjective. convivial [adjective] pleasantly sociable and friendly. sociable [adjective] (opposite unsociable) fond of the company of others; friendly

#1307 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 10:37 AM

"Gezellig". I had to look this up.

adjective. convivial [adjective] pleasantly sociable and friendly. sociable [adjective] (opposite unsociable) fond of the company of others; friendly

I have Dutch in the family  :banana:

#1308 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 10:43 AM

I kind of figured you might 😏

#1309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:42 AM

The CPI data is out. May pushed the BC CPI average to 4.5% from April's 4.0%. March was 3.7%.

By July we can anticipate upwards of 5.5% to 6%. That's what rents will be allowed to rise by, in 2023, unless the government steps in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1310 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:47 AM

The official CPI is a joke. Inflation is FAR greater than 4.5%.

#1311 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:52 AM

You would have to think that rent controls not only limit the amount of new inventory coming online but are also driving up rental prices of existing inventory. If you are an owner and face the prospect of having to rent to a tenant for many years without ever being able to meaningfully increase rates (even to cover your costs), then the price you charge today has to reflect that.

• Nparker likes this

#1312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:57 AM

Not to mention that landlords are forced to excessively raise rents between tenants to make up for rental cap losses. It's a false economy on the part of the province, but it sounds good in throne speeches.

• Barrrister and Teardrop like this

#1313 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 06:06 AM

The 12 month CPI average to June in BC was 4.9%.

It was 4.5% to May.

This is what annual rent increases in BC are tethered to now, this number to July (we’re on track to cross 5%), unless the province interjects once more and decides to allow a lower maximum, which may cause a major jolt to the supply of new rental housing following provincial regulations during COVID, and the province’s removal of a 2% bump up allotment above inflation (the rent increase is now tied to inflation only).

Know it all.

#1314 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 November 2022 - 12:39 PM

8,500-units-of-new-rentals-since-mid-2010s-proves-Greater-Victoria-can-think-big-on-housing,-but-it’s-still-not-enough.jpg

Greater Victoria's supply of single-family-homes along main thoroughfares are poised for redevelopment scenarios favouring high density housing, as the region grapples with strong demand for homes and high population growth projections through 2041. Seen here is the 'pagoda house' along Langford's Goldstream Avenue.

8,500-units of new rentals since mid-2010s shows Greater Victoria can act big on housing, but it’s still not enough

https://victoria.cit...ill-not-enough/

Know it all.

#1315 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:56 PM

Record-number-of-new-rental-apartments-earmarked-for-Sooke-in-2023.jpg

2075 Drennan Street is a 170-unit affordable rental project from the Capital Region Housing Corporation. Split between two five-storey buildings and a single-storey amenity pavilion, the community is one of three rental investments taking shape in Sooke's town centre with completion earmarked for 2023.

Record number of rental apartment completions earmarked for Sooke in 2023

https://victoria.cit...-sooke-in-2023/

Know it all.

#1316 Angria

Angria
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 01:53 PM

Sad to see another of my child’s school friends family have decided to leave GVA they have 2 kids closed in acre 11 and 9 who up to now could share a bedroom so they could afford the 2 bedroom rent - 2300 they were paying now they need to move to 3 as the older one need her own room and they can’t afford the jump up to 3000 min they are looking at, this is the third family friend group our daughter started school with over the last 2 years that has moved away all good people and employed … we need to encourage more 3 bedroom construction either by government affability project builds or private industry although I know this isn’t an attractive market build… I don’t post usually but this has really bothered me to watch as we lose good futures

#1317 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 01:07 PM

Angria, where did these families move to, do you know?

Know it all.

#1318 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 01:17 PM

As rising rental prices strain many tenants' budgets, some low-income renters can now apply for a one-off $500 payment from the federal government to help ease their housing costs.

But tenant advocates say the payment will offer very limited relief for people whose monthly budgets are continually stretched by the rising cost of living amid a lack of affordable housing.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...cates-1.6684065

Then maybe this government should not import 500,000 extra people each year. Plus hundreds of thousands of students.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 December 2022 - 01:19 PM.

#1319 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 07:55 PM

There was an item on the US news the other night about the fact that 49% of 18-29 year olds were opting to stay in the family home rather than moving out. Instead of paying high rents, they are indulging themselves with expensive goods and dining out.

So these folks will never be homeowners, instead of saving their money for a down payment on a piece of real estate, they are spending it on themselves.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1320 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 08:22 PM

They will own nothing and be happy.
  • phx and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users