Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7641 replies to this topic

#4501 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:15 AM

What are the eligible airports.

I just checked with Westjet and they told me I had to clear customs with bags and then hump over to domestic to go through security again.

I was recently on a flight from Seattle heading back to Victoria and bypassed security using the new process. There is a shuttle though that takes you from customs to the main terminal which took about 15 minutes between waiting for the shuttle and the trip itself. 

#4502 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

^^
Used this a few days ago from Phoenix and it was great. Shuttle drove over to the WestJet area and we boarded within 10-12 minutes of landing. A WestJet agent told me that they could track passengers through various checkpoints and they held the Victoria flight for a few of us to make it. Much appreciated!

#4503 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

^^
Used this a few days ago from Phoenix and it was great. Shuttle drove over to the WestJet area and we boarded within 10-12 minutes of landing. A WestJet agent told me that they could track passengers through various checkpoints and they held the Victoria flight for a few of us to make it. Much appreciated!

That's interesting, I am flying from PHX to YVR then YYJ and when I phoned Westjet the individual told me I would have to clear customs with my bags and then hump over to domestic and go through security again. I like your info better than his.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4504 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

Only had to do the passport and declaration in YVR. Bags went straight through to Victoria,

#4505 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:12 PM

^So you had to go through customs and then you are in the baggage area where did you go from there?

#4506 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

It seemed a special customs room where we were directed after being given a CONNECTING FLIGHT card. (Never saw or touched our luggage.) Nobody in the lineup and after giving documents to the officer we were directed outside to a shuttle that took us to domestics. Mind you that was a Wednesday evening so could be busier at other times.....
  • LJ likes this

#4507 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info DB.

#4508 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

I believe it is only operating at certain times of the day. I agree though, the signage is poor and it can be chaotic if you get in with one of the international wide bodies. Used this “express” connect arriving from HNL in Dec and connecting through to YYJ. When you come down the stairs in the customs hall go to the right and you will see an additional CBSA booth that leads to a glass corridor. You line up there for a few minutes then get on a bus and dropped off in the domestic terminal C gates across from the Air Canada lounge. Still a bit of a walk if you have to go down to WestJet, but better than clearing security again.
  • LJ likes this

#4509 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

We used it coming back from PSP, before entering the custom hall we were given a yellow transfer card and guided to the CBSA both on the right.
  • LJ likes this

#4510 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:46 AM

New flights from Paine Field

Finally: less driving, more flying. Book travel now from Everett to 8 cities on one of our 18 daily nonstop flights.

We've got the best kind of news for you, North Sound neighbors: with our new service at Paine Field in Everett, the endless trek to Sea-Tac is a thing of the past. That means fewer long drives - and more Mileage Plan™ miles earned - with adventures starting closer to home.

In March, we'll launch service at Paine Field, with 18 daily nonstop flights between Everett's Paine Field and 8 destinations: Las VegasLos AngelesOrange CountyPhoenixPortlandSan DiegoSan Francisco, and San Jose. Check the table below for specific start dates for each city.

https://www.alaskaai...e-field-everett

#4511 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:48 AM

United Airlines begins service out of Paine Field

https://mynorthwest....es-paine-field/

Alaska Airlines began flying out of Paine Field on March 4. The original opening date was delayed after the airline pushed out its first day of service during the federal government shutdown at the beginning of the year.

Southwest Airlines was originally slated to fly out of Paine Field as well, but sold its place to Alaska.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2019 - 09:48 AM.

#4512 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

^^

Did this same process last week coming back from LA. Didn't have checked baggage but the shuttle was definitely a new thing.

#4513 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

The start date for this year's Air Canada Rouge service from Toronto to Nanaimo has been pushed back to July 2nd.

Although the route isn't served by the 737 MAX, Air Canada has been reallocating their fleet to cover the absense of these aircraft.

That's resulted in some Rouge aircraft covering mainline routes, which means several seasonal routes have been pushed back.

The July 2nd date assumes return to service of the MAX of July 1st, which is still up in air (ha!).

#4514 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

Wow, Nanaimo adding direct flights to Toronto meanwhile YYJ is losing airlines and flights.  I see nothing about season direct service to Montreal this year

Pathetic!  Time for the YYJ board to get replaced

#4515 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:13 PM

Nanaimo flight started last year. It's seasonal and not daily.

The Montreal-Victoria flight is still on the schedule for this summer.

Seems a little extreme to suggest that the board should be replaced. In fact, both Nanaimo/Toronto & Montreal/Victoria flights were announced at the same time last year.

#4516 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:33 AM

The board should certainly be held to account for the lack of growth. As has been pointed out numerous times YYJ does a terrible job of marketing itself and potential customers literally drive right by on their way to YVR by ferry.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4517 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:54 AM

Has Flair dropped YYJ-EDM?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4518 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

Has Flair dropped YYJ-EDM?

They had originally said Edmonton (YEG) would be seasonal and back this June, but that does not appear to be the case as of their latest schedule.

Curiously, Air Canada also seems to have abandoned their summer seasonal YYJ-YEG service. It's still on their timetable as starting May 1, but you can't book it.

#4519 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

The board should certainly be held to account for the lack of growth. As has been pointed out numerous times YYJ does a terrible job of marketing itself and potential customers literally drive right by on their way to YVR by ferry.

On their way to save money and not because they don't know YYJ exists! Did a recent price check on a flight from the new Everett airport to San Diego and a family of 4 saves $1,000+.

#4520 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:12 AM

They had originally said Edmonton (YEG) would be seasonal and back this June, but that does not appear to be the case as of their latest schedule.

Curiously, Air Canada also seems to have abandoned their summer seasonal YYJ-YEG service. It's still on their timetable as starting May 1, but you can't book it.

I would assume this is related to the economy in Alberta? Fewer workers heading to the oil fields, perhaps? Vic-Edm has traditionally been a staple with multiple carriers operating non-stop flights.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Missed Approach