Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7656 replies to this topic

#6201 FogPub

FogPub
  • 983 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 September 2022 - 10:38 PM

Exactly. Just run one every 45 minutes. Like a bus. Heck, board it like a bus too.

To do this they'd need four or five planes just on the one route, due to the charging time required (during which, one assumes, the plane is shut down and empty for max charging efficiency).

Other than that, I like it. :)

#6202 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 11:23 PM

But if the fuel operating cost is only 40% of a conventional plane, they can operate more trips.

Landing fees etc are unlikely to make that feasible. They would have to operate 3 flights to accommodate the current capacity (74) of the Q400.

However, it would likely make some sense to operate on routes with less demand such as Vancouver-Comox & Vancouver - Campbell River at peak times, and then Vancouver - Victoria at offpeak times. And *potentially* open up some new markets where the Q800 is too much capacity... maybe Vancouver to Tofino?

Edited by vortoozo, 15 September 2022 - 11:27 PM.

#6203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,686 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:17 AM

Right. You’d also need more pilots, to move the same amount of people. That could get tricky.

They have a lot of routes where these small planes make sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,350 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:19 AM

Where’s that new Duncan airport? It must be nearing completion.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 September 2022 - 06:19 AM.

#6205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,686 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:20 AM

I thought first they’d be building a rail connection?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,350 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 05:06 AM

Learning to ride a bike is one of our earliest achievements in life. But how about learning to fly your bike?

The world's first flying bike was revealed on Thursday at the Detroit Auto Show, meaning someday soon we might ride the drone-like vehicle instead of cars.

The XTURISMO hoverbike is capable of flying for 40 minutes and reaching speeds of up to 100 km/h.

The Japanese start-up behind the flying motorcycle, AERWINS Technologies, first started out making drones and unmanned aerial vehicles.

The hoverbike is already on sale in Japan and a smaller version will be available in the US in 2023 for $777,000 (€775,400).

Shuhei Komatsu, the company’s CEO, told Reuters that the company hopes to get the cost down to $50,000 (€49,890) for a smaller electric model by 2025.

This looks alright.  It just needs to be 99.999% safe.

VIDEO:  https://youtu.be/2KDTtqOpqDY

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2022.09.17-09_09_01.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 September 2022 - 05:09 AM.

#6207 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:53 AM

Flair has released their schedule through next summer.

Their planned YYJ operation is as follows:

Calgary

currently 5x per week

as of 10/9, 4x per week. Last flight 10/28.

resumes 3/26 5x per week.

as of 4/4, daily

Edmonton

currently 4x per week

as of 10/10, 2x per week

as of 11/29, 3x per week, last flight 12/31

resumes 3/27, 5x per week

as of 5/8, daily

Kelowna

currently 2x per week

ends 9/30, does not resume

Ottawa

currently 2x per week

as of 10/22, 1x per week. last flight 10/29

resumes 6/10, 1x per week

Toronto

currently 2x per week. last flight 10/29

resumes 4/8, 2x per week

as of 7/11, 3x per week

Very much subject to change. The upstart carriers including Flair are notorious for changing schedules even up until a month out.

Compared to this year, Victoria ends up losing the Kelowna flight but gets daily service on Calgary and Edmonton next year which is greater than this year. I believe Toronto was only 2x per week this summer so an extra frequency there too.

Flair service will be suspended for three months starting January; don't recall if that happened this year as well.

#6208 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:01 AM

The big risk with airlines with such limited schedules is that you have no options if a flight is cancelled or significantly delayed. There is no other airplane or crew to substitute in. 

#6209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,686 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:28 AM

Is that live parking capacity meter on the airport's website a new feature?

Know it all.

#6210 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:30 AM

The big risk with airlines with such limited schedules is that you have no options if a flight is cancelled or significantly delayed. There is no other airplane or crew to substitute in. 

Travel insurance is pretty much a requirement for flying on these carriers.

I had a Flair flight to Calgary cancel earlier this summer just before departure due to a mechanical issue. I wasn't rebooked until 5 days later (they were running less than daily).

Luckily I had booked a backup flight on Air Canada using Aeroplan miles and flew that instead. But if I hadn't, my credit card travel insurance would have covered me purchasing a ticket on another carrier up to $1500. This is actually more flexible than one of the major carriers, since I could have chosen any airline (with space) to get me there that day.

In the end the cancellation got me a refund of my original fare paid.

I had a Swoop flight booked for a return from Edmonton next month. A few weeks ago, they changed the flight time by several hours. The new time didn't work for me. I either had the option of rebooking to the next day (didn't work for me either) or cancelling for a refund. I ended up taking the refund and booking on another carrier for about $40 more.

So - are all these disruptions worthwhile? Well, yes, if you can mitigate the risk with a little flexibility and travel insurance. The savings can certainly add up and disruptions can happen with any airline.

#6211 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,686 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:37 AM

I've learned my lesson the hard way.

It's mainline carriers for me now, or no flight. The stress and hassle just isn't worth it.

Know it all.

#6212 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 10:47 AM

Travel insurance is pretty much a requirement for flying on these carriers.

Insurance is useful but if you were relying on the flight to board a cruise ship or a connection to a resort in Mexico then you won't be fully compensated for all of your costs.

If you are going point to point and have a backup then that is different, and it may be worth the risk to save some $$$.

#6213 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 11:05 AM

Insurance is useful but if you were relying on the flight to board a cruise ship or a connection to a resort in Mexico then you won't be fully compensated for all of your costs.

If you are going point to point and have a backup then that is different, and it may be worth the risk to save some $$$.

I don't think cruises leave from Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, Toronto or Ottawa ;)

None of these carriers offer connections. Point-to-point is the only option.

I've learned my lesson the hard way.

It's mainline carriers for me now, or no flight. The stress and hassle just isn't worth it.

Mainline carriers this year have been pretty atrocious. I've had several Westjet delays and a Westjet last minute cancellation. Those are just as stressful and as much hassle as the low cost carriers. Especially with Westjet because they don't have their own staff at YYJ, only contract staff that are unable to rebook you without calling a help line and waiting on hold. If they feel like it.

#6214 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,686 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 12:30 PM

It has generally been a crappy year for airline travel, for sure.

Know it all.

#6215 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,913 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:10 PM

I almost got caught in 4 hour security line at YVR on Monday morning. 🙄

#6216 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 04:03 PM

Learning to ride a bike is one of our earliest achievements in life. But how about learning to fly your bike?

The world's first flying bike was revealed on Thursday at the Detroit Auto Show, meaning someday soon we might ride the drone-like vehicle instead of cars.

The XTURISMO hoverbike is capable of flying for 40 minutes and reaching speeds of up to 100 km/h.

The Japanese start-up behind the flying motorcycle, AERWINS Technologies, first started out making drones and unmanned aerial vehicles.

The hoverbike is already on sale in Japan and a smaller version will be available in the US in 2023 for $777,000 (€775,400).

Shuhei Komatsu, the company’s CEO, told Reuters that the company hopes to get the cost down to $50,000 (€49,890) for a smaller electric model by 2025.

This looks alright.  It just needs to be 99.999% safe.

VIDEO:  https://youtu.be/2KDTtqOpqDY

attachicon.gif screenshot-www.youtube.com-2022.09.17-09_09_01.png

Have you seen the litte amount of care and attention and stupid things that most people do in cars?  And now we want to give them small aircraft?!  Good luck getting insurance after the first couple of months...

• Nparker likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#6217 LJ

LJ
  • 12,771 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:22 AM

We flew from YYJ to YVR to connect with AC to YYZ then VNC. When we got to YVR we were told our flight was delayed by two hours and they had booked us on a later connecting flight. Problem was, it got us into VNC after the boat had sailed. Spent an hour on the phone with the cruise line trying different combinations, at one point we tried LHR, AMS, FRA, finally got booked on AF to CDG and then on to VNC. Made the connection with minutes to spare. Booking the flights through the cruise line is your safety net, they have to get you to the boat, you might miss a day of your cruise but you won't be stranded.

• spanky123 and Barrrister like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,686 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:27 AM

That’s a good tip, LJ.

Know it all.

#6219 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,365 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:47 AM

Often more expensive. I just book with a gap day or two and enjoy the port city if flights go well.

#6220 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,913 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:30 AM

We have booked the outgoing flights for our transatlantic cruise next year not only through Celebrity, but to arrive 2 days before we sail.

Recently re-jigged the reservation and saved around $1500, got better flight times and fewer connections.
  • Mike K. and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users