Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
8069 replies to this topic

#7141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 03:33 PM

In this article about the same route, I really like how James is passionate about getting US service into Regina. Oh how I miss his enthusiasm at YYJ. 

Indeed, Mr. Bogusz was a great asset at YYJ. Regina is lucky to have him.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7142 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 01:34 AM

Indeed, Mr. Bogusz was a great asset at YYJ. Regina is lucky to have him.

Have you had positive reception from Ms Brown yet?

Orlando - Sanford - International Airport has a terminal foot print close double the size of YYJ with annual Passenger numbers for 2022 of 2.8 million and on avg ~ 216 weekly flights ( Arr & Dep ). Website is nice and simple, and media team putting out a very nice, easy to use site, even with marketing land for Air/Ground and Air/Rail industry use.

Sanford is a major hub for Allegiant Airways and nearly 97% of the in bound / out bound passenger counts. 

Canadian carriers so far are Flair but Lynx and Porter have chosen to use MCO, Orlando Int. with it's huge terminal delays for airline gates slots and endless TSA processing complaints. 

I just wonder what is her vision for 2023 and beyond. 

#7143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 03:14 PM

No, I have not reached out yet. But I plan to in the New Year.

• Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7144 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 06:15 PM

Boeing (BA.N) said on Wednesday that the U.S. aviation regulator has cleared it to begin certification flight testing of its 737 MAX 10, the largest version of its bestselling jet aimed at seizing the top of the narrowbody market.

https://www.reuters....sts-2023-11-22/

Boeing-737-MAX-10-Test-Aircraft-Farnborough-5.jpg

737-10-A321neo.png

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.11.22-21_19_06.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 November 2023 - 06:19 PM.

• Missed Approach likes this

#7145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 06:26 PM

I'm going to wait for the Max 10 Pro.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#7146 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 06:30 PM

The original 737-100 was just 94 feet long (in 1967).

That's quite the thing, all the extensions of the same plane.   :ph34r:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 November 2023 - 06:31 PM.

#7147 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 November 2023 - 01:07 PM

Orlando - Sanford - International Airport has a terminal foot print close double the size of YYJ with annual Passenger numbers for 2022 of 2.8 million and on avg ~ 216 weekly flights ( Arr & Dep ). Website is nice and simple, and media team putting out a very nice, easy to use site, even with marketing land for Air/Ground and Air/Rail industry use.

I just wonder what is her vision for 2023 and beyond. 

Sorry, I realized I didn't mention why I brought up Orland Sanford airport for those who didn't know. Ms Brown, the current CEO of the VAA,  was the president of the corporation that operated SFB in her previous role.

https://www.victoria...idents-message/

Edited by Missed Approach, 23 November 2023 - 01:10 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#7148 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 12:38 AM

Not a lot of interesting news from this last week.

Very foggy over the last couple days resulting in half a dozen canceled flights each evening at YYJ. 

Of interested, back in 2019, the most frequented destinations from YYJ gathered from exit surveys were,

In Alphabetical order, according to the VAA.

Yet no consistent air service since. I hope the new CEO will up date the recent departure surveys and the destinations most frequented.

Halifax

Kahului

Los Angles

Palm Springs

Phoenix

Regina

San Fran

Saskatoon

Winnipeg

Some words from the latest CEO of WestJet ( not a fan, this guy seems blind sided by everything that faces WJA recently ) 

https://news.paxedit...reaking-quarter

Mike H.

#7149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 06:55 AM

Thanks Mike!

What’s with the popularity of Winnipeg as a destination? I recall way back in the 90s Canadian had a direct flight.

Know it all.

#7150 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 06:58 AM

Thanks Mike!

What’s with the popularity of Winnipeg as a destination? I recall way back in the 90s Canadian had a direct flight.

Flair and Westjet did Winnipeg this summer, didn't they? But I don't see there being year round demand.

I question that list. More people going to Halifax than Toronto? More going to Winnipeg then Calgary? I doubt it.

#7151 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 07:01 AM

I question that list. More people going to Halifax than Toronto? More going to Winnipeg then Calgary? I doubt it.

I'm guessing that list is only of origins that do not have direct service from YYJ.   That's why Vancouver is also not on it. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 November 2023 - 07:02 AM.

#7152 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 07:42 AM

It was a year-round Winnipeg flight.

We were better served in the 90s than we are now.

Know it all.

#7153 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 10:11 AM

It was a year-round Winnipeg flight.

We were better served in the 90s than we are now.

Canadian wasn't making money.

How much Victoria-Winnipeg demand is there in February?

#7154 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 10:13 AM

I'm guessing that list is only of origins that do not have direct service from YYJ.   That's why Vancouver is also not on it. 

What was the methodology? Was it taken at different intervals, year round? Was it a snapshot of a few days? How many people were surveyed? And most importantly, what are the daily/weekly year round demand numbers? Are there at least 125 people travelling from Victoria to each of these destinations today? If not, the flights likely don't make financial sense.

Edited by vortoozo, 28 November 2023 - 10:15 AM.

#7155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 11:23 AM

Canadian wasn't making money.

How much Victoria-Winnipeg demand is there in February?

Probably a whole bunch, now that I think about it.

Know it all.

#7156 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 01:03 PM

What was the methodology? Was it taken at different intervals, year round? Was it a snapshot of a few days? How many people were surveyed? And most importantly, what are the daily/weekly year round demand numbers? Are there at least 125 people travelling from Victoria to each of these destinations today? If not, the flights likely don't make financial sense.

For many years the VAA would do exit surveys for a 2 week or so period, at random with other questions on the card asking about terminal amenities. Now, airlines supply the data for end destination data.

As for Winnipeg - Yes there has been on and off, non stops, less than daily service. Passengers are mainly friends and family ( lots of grand parents ) but also Military.

Halifax is another heavy Military route. DND use to run a their A310 acouple times a month on a non stop from Halifax direct to YYJ for Navy personnel   

• vortoozo likes this

#7157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 02:18 PM

I believe the A310 was doing rounds for something or other, and if there was room passengers could hop on. But it’s a -miserable- flight, from what I’ve been told. No creature comforts.

Know it all.

#7158 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 02:41 PM

I might have mentioned this a bit ago, that Porter representatives were in Victoria a few weeks ago and something was brewing with additional route perhaps coming to YYJ.

I've been waiting for some news from Porter in the last week or so and so far these little bits of news of interest has come out.

Porter is teaming up with Transat for overseas and sun destinations.

https://airwaysmag.c...lines-alliance/

Today has announced an additional aircraft order of 25 more E195E2 jets. Looks to branch out on more routes.

https://simpleflying...-e2-firm-order/

I have a feeling, supported by airlines colleagues still working at YYJ, there might be a Porter direct flight to YOW or YUL ( Ottawa & Montreal ) this summer.  Or even in coming years, to Saint-Hubert (YHU) Montreal's other passenger airport, as it grows as a Porter hub.

• Ismo07 and Kilo95 like this

#7159 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:53 PM

VAA posted their recorded fall community consultative meeting online. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=mEfnV4UPHmw

Three BIG take away's -

AIF increase for sure, to 20$ is my bet.

Terminal expansion finally getting aggressive.

Talks with AA, Delta and United back on the table. 

#7160 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:11 PM

• .AIF increase for sure, to 20$ is my bet.
  • Terminal expansion finally getting aggressive.
  • Talks with AA, Delta and United back on the table

https://youtu.be/k5hWWe-ts2s

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users