• LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2024 - 03:43 PM

Just become the PM, then its "free".

#7442 LJ

LJ
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 07:26 PM

I have to disagree with that .... 

As for the corporate flight business, some of operators like Air Sprint, FlexJet and SunWest have many marketing offers for the office staff - golf weekends - Super Bowl and large family vacations bookings.

Unless its an old Lear jet with some junky company - some of the jets will have self serve catering or on board service, a lav and I don't know about non movement around the cabin outside of seat belt sign requirements during approach and and landing or in departure climb.

My nephew got a job flying for a carrier last year, and has share pictures of their fleet and the destinations he has flown to and the FBO's he gets to fly in and out of almost daily. 

The goal is, just like the airline world, keep the jet moving. 

He told me he has flown a whole dental office to a short vacation on the tab of the practice doctor team. They can fit 12 comfortably.

YYJ sees plenty corp and private jets, even the G5 and larger have landed here for many reasons to visit or business in Victoria or the island. 

We flew from Victoria to Orange County Airport in a C500 Citation, The first hour was OK, after that it was more an endurance contest.

I flew from YXS to YVR on a Jetranger, first hour is OK, then you want to get off the damn thing.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7443 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:38 PM

What do you usually do on a flight, LJ?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7444 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,545 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:47 PM

Before its shutdown this week, Lynx Air hoped to pay off some of its debt to a top investor through a purchase by rival discount carrier Flair Airlines.

According to documents filed with the Alberta Court of King’s Bench, proceeds from a tentative deal with Flair would have gone toward Lynx’s $124.3-million debt to Indigo Partners, the U.S. private equity firm run by Bill Franke that owns one-quarter of Lynx.

The 1,275-page filing refers to its fellow budget airline dozens of times, including to a planned “Flair transaction” and a non-binding agreement signed on Jan. 11.

Lynx and Flair did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

https://www.cheknews...t-woes-1192831/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2024 - 09:47 PM.

#7445 LJ

LJ
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 07:45 PM

What do you usually do on a flight, LJ?

Sorry, I believe this is a family friendly forum.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7446 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:15 PM

Some more perspectives on Lynx's departure from the skies over Canada / North America.

https://www.theglobe...tion-creditors/

https://www.theglobe...for-its-demise/

#7447 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 12:57 PM

Just had a peek at Flairs website for this spring/summer service to YYJ.

Noticed they have cut the start and end service to YYC ( Calgary ) from May to late June and ending in Sept not Oct.

YEG ( Edmonton ) starts in May as planned and ends in mid Oct.

YYZ ( Toronto ) starts in late May till early Oct as planned. 

WestJet has YYC all to themselves these days and only one daily flight to Edmonton. 

• vortoozo likes this

#7448 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 01:10 PM

Crazy. There were more flights to Edmonton in the 90s.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7449 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 03:40 PM

During the 2000's there was at least 3 maybe 4 daily, by WestJet, and I think Zip took a swing at it too. 

During the 90's, Canadian I think had one flight. Alittle before my time there and moving to the island in the late 90's.

#7450 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:03 PM

90s also had Westjet flying to Edmonton and Calgary, no?

No Air Canada in the 90s on the route, eh? There was Canada 3000 operating back then as well. Not sure when they entered regular service but it was during my time in high school so pre-2002.

Know it all.

#7451 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 05:16 PM

Edmonton at 1x is seasonal on Westjet. They start to ramp up in April when some days of the week get a second flight. By May some days of the week get a third flight.

I recall a similar drop last year, in fact at certain times the only flight was on a Q400 whereas this year it remained jet service. Flair did operate for some (but not all) of the winter months last year, but it wasn't daily.

#7452 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 09:23 PM

90s also had Westjet flying to Edmonton and Calgary, no?

No Air Canada in the 90s on the route, eh? There was Canada 3000 operating back then as well. Not sure when they entered regular service but it was during my time in high school so pre-2002.

I came to Victoria in 2000 and started at YYJ with Canada 3000. They tired domestic service to Winnipeg once weekly and Toronto once weekly during summer months. Some charter routes south but after fighting with Royal for routes and the one and only aircraft bridge at the terminal, and 9/11, the rest ended in history including the merger of the two after all.

WestJet showed up at YYJ in 1998, with milk runs to start. Edmonton was via Kelowna, most Calgary flights were non stop, with some via Edmonton. WJ even did YYJ to Prince George for a short while too with a 737 200.

Later into the 2000's WJ moved to just non stop flights to YYC and YEG and only doing YLW once a day. Once Encore showed up, it was taken over by Dash 8 service. 

Besides Mexican destinations, Honolulu was in demand for it's first couple years of operation before it was cut when the dollar tumbled and aircraft demands elsewhere.

Edited by Missed Approach, 29 February 2024 - 09:29 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#7453 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 09:25 PM

Edmonton at 1x is seasonal on Westjet. They start to ramp up in April when some days of the week get a second flight. By May some days of the week get a third flight.

I recall a similar drop last year, in fact at certain times the only flight was on a Q400 whereas this year it remained jet service. Flair did operate for some (but not all) of the winter months last year, but it wasn't daily.

WJ dropped Jet service on some YYJ-YYC and YYJ-YEG routes to Encore Dash 8 service when mainline jets were in demand for peak winter warm spot programs. Even YXX ( Abbotsford ) had jet service dropped for Encore for a couple winters in a row. 

This is the first winter I have seen only one or two Encore flights skimming the Rockies to Alberta.  

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#7454 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 09:40 PM

That's super, Missed, thank you.

Know it all.

#7455 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 11:17 AM

Just a little history lesson for YYJ airlines that came and went during my time at YYJ.

Pre  9/11 YYJ was very quiet, most of the travel was via Canadi>n Airlines and their regional carrier and Air Canada's Air BC regional. Mostly YVR, some YYC and Canadi>n had YYZ & YHZ service on a military contract. The terminal only had one aircraft bridge to fight for.

Some of the airlines that came and went were.

Canada 3000 with 757 200 & AirBus 330

Royal Airlines with AirBus A310 and the very loud and smokey 727

SkyService with their AirBus A320 lasted only a few years to odd charter places like La Paz Mex.

JetsGo with their MD-81. ( and was there for the huge fueling incident on the ramp )

Hawk Air with their Dash 8 100 to Prince George

HeliJet had a BeechCraft 1900D, very shinny paint job on a old plane.

United tried twice from Victoria on regional SkyWest, once with EMB 120 turbo prop to SEA and then later with United Express to SFO on their CRJ 200.

Air Canada's Zip ( call sign was Zipper ) that was old Canadi>n airlines 737 200's in a rainbow of colors.

Harmony with its 757-200 to HNL lasted just 2 years before packing the whole airline in. Very good service.

Delta took a swing with YYJ on CRJ 700's 3 times daily to SEA for 4 years.

That is what I can remember, I worked for a few of them during my time, and went thru 3 CEO's too.  

• Nparker and vortoozo like this

#7456 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 02:44 PM

Kinda mixed up defuncted and those who ended service.

There was short stints of VIVA  AERO BUS, Sunwings and Air Transat with temporary base station.

I remember very busy winter charter season with standing room only when several flights tried departing on the same morning and elbow room only room in the airline office hallway where temp office tables had to set up as there no room for these seasonal carriers.

#7457 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 05:07 PM

Awesome list. There have been a few others in the last 10 years eg Orca Airways & Island Express Air to Vancouver, Tofino, Abbotsford.

• Missed Approach likes this

#7458 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:55 PM

Awesome list. There have been a few others in the last 10 years eg Orca Airways & Island Express Air to Vancouver, Tofino, Abbotsford.

Yes, the little guys. Don't forget AirSpeed Aviation with two Cessna 412's. Gary was Ex Canadian Airlines pilot who ran twice daily to Abbotsford. Nicest guy running such a bust little airline. 

• vortoozo likes this

#7459 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,895 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:57 PM

Just a little history lesson for YYJ airlines that came and went during my time at YYJ.

Pre  9/11 YYJ was very quiet, most of the travel was via Canadi>n Airlines and their regional carrier and Air Canada's Air BC regional. Mostly YVR, some YYC and Canadi>n had YYZ & YHZ service on a military contract. The terminal only had one aircraft bridge to fight for.

Some of the airlines that came and went were.

Canada 3000 with 757 200 & AirBus 330

Royal Airlines with AirBus A310 and the very loud and smokey 727

SkyService with their AirBus A320 lasted only a few years to odd charter places like La Paz Mex.

JetsGo with their MD-81. ( and was there for the huge fueling incident on the ramp )

Hawk Air with their Dash 8 100 to Prince George

HeliJet had a BeechCraft 1900D, very shinny paint job on a old plane.

United tried twice from Victoria on regional SkyWest, once with EMB 120 turbo prop to SEA and then later with United Express to SFO on their CRJ 200.

Air Canada's Zip ( call sign was Zipper ) that was old Canadi>n airlines 737 200's in a rainbow of colors.

Harmony with its 757-200 to HNL lasted just 2 years before packing the whole airline in. Very good service.

Delta took a swing with YYJ on CRJ 700's 3 times daily to SEA for 4 years.

That is what I can remember, I worked for a few of them during my time, and went thru 3 CEO's too.  

In about 20-ought-10ish we did a family trip on CanJet which for a while ran a charter from YYJ to Cancun. Don't know how long that route lasted or whether from YYJ there were other destinations such as Cabo or the DR, and I know the airline went belly up in the mid-10's which was too bad because the service was first rate on their 737-800 series aircraft. They upgraded us no charge to the best seats at the front, complementary brekkie and champagne for what reason I can't recall, but I do remember the cabin crew were first rate. I believe they were based out of Halifax because I remember seeing a few of their planes parked whenever we flew into Stansfield Airport which was relatively frequently in those days.

• Nparker and Missed Approach like this

#7460 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:03 PM

Yes, I remembered CanJet, they got shoved next to Air Canada for counter space. They did a winter or two I recall. Had their 737-500 here often I heard very good on board service. I know there has never been any flights to the DR from YYJ, but during 2017/18 & 2018/2019 winter charters started to get operated by other carriers, that it got so confusing. 

• AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users