Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7662 replies to this topic

#7481 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,442 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 11:38 AM

Yes. Certainly the ground crew should have known this was an international arrival. Whoever opened the gate for them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 March 2024 - 11:38 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#7482 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,957 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 11:49 AM

The last time I flew into Las Vegas - directly from Victoria - we breezed through the international arrivals area, including USCBP, in far less time than I waited in line to check into my hotel.

#7483 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,442 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 12:03 PM

A very long time ago, our plane arrived at an international destination quite late. There was only one border official on and already a bit of a line. He just waved most of the plane through, we never talked to any agent. So long ago now though I forget where it was.
  • Nparker likes this

#7484 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 12:38 PM

United Airlines will be dropping news on March 7th in the morning of the latest International routes the airline is planning. 

I haven't heard any rumors or real interest in YYJ, but shows there is growth with the United brand in 2024. 

Nothing terribly interesting 

https://www.msn.com/...ons/ar-BB1jvFqc

#7485 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 11:20 AM

Bring your own seat cushion, when flying SouthWest next year.

https://www.msn.com/...efc37accc&ei=13

#7486 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,442 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 01:56 PM

Article leaves out the (absurd) fact they will be placed in both male and female bathrooms.

he Victoria Airport Authority announced an initiative aimed at supporting menstrual health and fostering inclusivity within the airport terminal building by partnering with a women-led, Victoria-based company.

Ahead of a December 2023 labour code mandate requiring federally regulated organizations to provide free feminine hygiene products, the airport partnered with Joni, an award-winning provider of biodegradable and organic menstrual-care products.

“We are committed to creating a workplace and travel environment that prioritizes the well-being and dignity of all individuals,” said Elizabeth Brown, airport authority president and CEO, in a news release. “The installation of period care product dispensers reflects our dedication to supporting menstrual health and promoting inclusivity within our community.

https://www.vicnews....e-brand-7327536

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 March 2024 - 01:57 PM.

#7487 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:39 PM

I use to have open conversations ( Emails ) with Geoff after my retirement when he had time to talk airport and line stuff. He was open to chat with the public, usually getting back to me within 3-4 business days. He made some good points but enjoyed discussing the topics. 

Since Ms Brown took over, I finally got a response I sent in late Jan, asking if the CEO would answer input or questions from the general public.

Response this week from the admin assistant was, tell me what the questions are and I will pass them along. 

Feels very closed door upstairs there now. 

#7488 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,379 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:50 PM

I use to have open conversations ( Emails ) with Geoff after my retirement when he had time to talk airport and line stuff. He was open to chat with the public, usually getting back to me within 3-4 business days. He made some good points but enjoyed discussing the topics. 

Since Ms Brown took over, I finally got a response I sent in late Jan, asking if the CEO would answer input or questions from the general public.

Response this week from the admin assistant was, tell me what the questions are and I will pass them along. 

Feels very closed door upstairs there now. 

Communication is nice, but results are what matter. I don't think the previous CEO was doing very well.

#7489 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 04:00 PM

I’ll see if Ms. Brown would like to meet. I’m sure she’s still learning the ropes.
  • Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7490 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 06:20 PM

Communication is nice, but results are what matter. I don't think the previous CEO was doing very well.

I do agree, but Geoff was open to talk, even tho most of his ideas were of flying cars, he was engaging with those who wanted to talk airlines and airport biz. 

So far, I find the VAA a very closed off org, esp the website, with a lot of sections taken away from the previous version.  

#7491 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 02:41 PM

I’ll see if Ms. Brown would like to meet. I’m sure she’s still learning the ropes.

How has her communication been so far, or anyone at the VAA over the last year?

#7492 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 03:15 PM

I haven’t reach out yet since the transition.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7493 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 07:27 PM

I haven’t reach out yet since the transition.

Sure would like to hear from her and her vision going forward. There is no " spring " or March AIRPORT CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE MEETING like there has been in the past.

Just right to a AGM on May 9th, an event normally planned at the end of May or in June.

Geoff said he didn't think the industry would fully recover till 2024...... well here we are, and this summer looks promising to be a solid one. 

Edited by Missed Approach, 10 March 2024 - 07:28 PM.

#7494 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,442 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 03:17 AM

Haunting final moments of man, 30, who died inside plane's engine are revealed as he breached airport security, burst through emergency exit then ran shoeless across the runway

• Kyler Efinger, 30, died on January 1 after climbing into the engine of a plane

https://www.dailymai...ach-runway.html

:badpc:

#7495 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 10:16 AM

Saskatoon airport wins award that Victoria use to win often.

As someone who traveled thru YXE 3 times a year, I agree. I love the size, the layout, the numbers of food options and it even has a Maple Leaf lounge. 

YXE has less annual passengers than YYJ, but after YQB, I feel YXE is rocketing up to being pretty close to or taking 12th/13th place. 

https://canadianavia...engers-in-2023/

#7496 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 11:15 AM

Could we now be considered an airport of 2M+ having crossed that threshold?

Know it all.

#7497 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 12:05 PM

Could we now be considered an airport of 2M+ having crossed that threshold?

Annual passengers for YYJ

2021 = 673,000 and change

2022 = 1.2 

2023 = 1.7

5 years ago YYJ boke 2 million, for 2018 and slipped below 2 million in 2019.

YYJ continue to struggle behind YLW since 2019 and now YQB is set to take over 11th place soon.  

Edited by Missed Approach, 11 March 2024 - 12:15 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#7498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 12:33 PM

Yes, but might we have been pushed up into the 2M category, despite the COVID drop?

Know it all.

#7499 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 01:34 PM

Yes, but might we have been pushed up into the 2M category, despite the COVID drop?

I really don't think so. The CNN best airports category put YVR at 20th for 2023 by SkyTrax in the international class.

YYJ was in the Most Loved  at 8th place in 2017

But for ACI we were best voted in 2020 as well as 2012 and 2014 in other categories 

https://www.victoria...merica-in-2020/

• Mike K. likes this

#7500 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 03:50 PM

Airports rated better than YYJ include FORT MAC this year.

https://canadianavia...ity-asq-awards/

Awards for other categories and other international airports in the ASQ lists can be found at https://aci.aero/

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users