Posted 18 March 2024 - 10:53 AM

wrong thread, please delete

There's a Boeing thread?

#7522 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 10:58 AM

There's a Boeing thread?

How else would they stitch all the parts of the plane together?

• lanforod likes this

#7523 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 March 2024 - 11:30 AM

aastra doesn't disappoint. Had me in stitches there even.

• aastra likes this

#7524 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 11:50 AM

There's a Boeing thread?

Sorry, no. I posted in the wrong thread. Mea culpa.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#7525 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:28 PM

Well that's not what I was expecting from the VAA.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it felt like the new CEO has instructed the secretary or admin staff to screen emails.

Got a reply today from the secretary after I asked about the progress of the food services, ie WhiteSpot as well as some green initiatives around air-side ground operations.

The response I received today was " unfortunately Ms. Brown is unavailable to answer your question at this time and wishes for you to bring this inquiry to her attention, during the public input stage at our up coming annual AGM "

Just floored.

So besides Timmy's, a requirement of any airport in Canada........( wink ) no sit down food options. I understand Compass Food services operates all the outlets. But I don't know if Fresh Cup coffee is still running their small booth in the lower hold room. Last time I pass thru it was closed mid morning.  https://www.victoria...om/at-yyj/food/

But Waterloo Kitchener has food service overhaul 

https://www.msn.com/...ort/ar-BB1karan

#7526 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 09:16 PM

:whyme:

#7527 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 11:49 PM

Fresh Cup is operated by Compass and open in the mornings. All the outlets except Fickle Fig are Compass operations.

Not sure what you mean by no sit down option as Spinnakers offers that.

#7528 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 06:45 AM

Spinnakers is almost always full to the brim when I pass through, with very limited seating.
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7529 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:48 AM

We're flying out to Cancun in just over two weeks I'll go pound on her door for you MA and extract the required info....no charge :)

• Mike K., Nparker and Missed Approach like this

#7530 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 09:06 AM

Not sure what you mean by no sit down option as Spinnakers offers that.

I was meaning more than cafe style seating, like booth. Those seats feel very exposed and open without table service. 

#7531 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 10:20 AM

I do understand its comparing apples to oranges - theirs is a truly regional operation with multiple international carriers and routes, and is not sandwiched in between two much larger centres like Vancouver and Seattle - but Stansfield Airport @ Halifax is so much further ahead of YYJ in terms of amenities and services, in spite of the fact the two metro populations are fairly close. It feels like a professional operation while ours.....mm...not so much.

They have actual food services, both before and after security, both fast food outlets and several sit down dining options while we have a donut counter and a small boutique counter-style Spinnakers; they have a proper multi-level parkade right outside the front door, while we just continue to chew up real estate by cheaping out laying ever more blacktop or even crushed rock further and further away from the terminal; they also have hotel/motels - multiple options - while we still await construction of a bare bones budget operation located on the very far side of airport lands, if its even technically on YYJ property at all, and finally they actually have direct transit service to the front door while we have to transfer I think at the McTavish roundabout just to get to the physical air terminal. 

I lost my wallet last year at YYJ coming home from Halifax and after confirming it had been found, had to go to literally a small hut physically separate from the main building. Kind of feels like they have Secretariat and we have Elsie the Cow.........

• Nparker and Missed Approach like this

#7532 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,070 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 08:40 AM

This is interesting, a fly-in resort in North Carolina:

screenshot-mountainairnc.com-2024.03.21-11_29_07.png

YouTube flight in/out:

https://youtu.be/A6Z...MyIXOja-Rnu2rdZ

The highest runway east of the Mississippi.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 March 2024 - 08:47 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#7533 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:15 AM

I do understand its comparing apples to oranges - theirs is a truly regional operation with multiple international carriers and routes, and is not sandwiched in between two much larger centres like Vancouver and Seattle - but Stansfield Airport @ Halifax is so much further ahead of YYJ in terms of amenities and services, in spite of the fact the two metro populations are fairly close. It feels like a professional operation while ours.....mm...not so much.

They have actual food services, both before and after security, both fast food outlets and several sit down dining options while we have a donut counter and a small boutique counter-style Spinnakers; they have a proper multi-level parkade right outside the front door, while we just continue to chew up real estate by cheaping out laying ever more blacktop or even crushed rock further and further away from the terminal; they also have hotel/motels - multiple options - while we still await construction of a bare bones budget operation located on the very far side of airport lands, if its even technically on YYJ property at all, and finally they actually have direct transit service to the front door while we have to transfer I think at the McTavish roundabout just to get to the physical air terminal. 

I lost my wallet last year at YYJ coming home from Halifax and after confirming it had been found, had to go to literally a small hut physically separate from the main building. Kind of feels like they have Secretariat and we have Elsie the Cow.........

Bang on!!! couldn't been said better. . . . . . . . . . . But don't forget, something we have that NO OTHER AIRPORT has, a Gin tasting counter and shop. YYJ is way ahead of the times. No FOOD for YOU! 

Side note, the security building you had to go in search of ;) use to be an old RCMP sub office, there is still two poisoner cells in the back and a sally port bay.

• AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

#7534 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 11:05 AM

Bang on!!! couldn't been said better. . . . . . . . . . . But don't forget, something we have that NO OTHER AIRPORT has, a Gin tasting counter and shop. YYJ is way ahead of the times. No FOOD for YOU! 

Side note, the security building you had to go in search of ;) use to be an old RCMP sub office, there is still two poisoner cells in the back and a sally port bay.

Hm.....I may well take advantage of the gin tasting option before jumping on that Boeing MAX in two weeks :)

• Missed Approach likes this

#7535 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:22 PM

WestJet Encore Pilots will be staging an Information Picket at YYC as they continue with negotiating for a new collective contract.

Talks are stalled and frustration levels are growing between pilots and the mainline carrier.

I have a few friends flying for Encore that have said, pay is among the main points while 1/3 of the fleer remains parked and routes normally flown by Encore have been taken over by either mainline WJ or PCA. 

If this drags on into the summer, job action is expected. No one wants a strike but they have been treated poorly by WJ for years.   

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7536 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:43 PM

Would this stem from the Onyx takeover?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7537 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,070 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:49 PM

Onex:

https://globalnews.c...jet-buyout/amp/

#7538 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 03:32 PM

WestJet Encore Pilots will be staging an Information Picket at YYC as they continue with negotiating for a new collective contract.

Talks are stalled and frustration levels are growing between pilots and the mainline carrier.

I have a few friends flying for Encore that have said, pay is among the main points while 1/3 of the fleer remains parked and routes normally flown by Encore have been taken over by either mainline WJ or PCA. 

If this drags on into the summer, job action is expected. No one wants a strike but they have been treated poorly by WJ for years.   

Jeez WJ has sure strayed away from the vision of its original founders; one of them, Mark Hill, was a good buddy during our university years and I stayed in close touch up to and well after he and Clive & Co founded the company. I guess starting off as a David challenging Goliath inevitably means that if you're successful in many ways you become just like the Goliath eventually. Too bad.

• Nparker and Missed Approach like this

#7539 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:38 PM

Would this stem from the Onyx takeover?

Yes, Onyx buys companies and strips the value out of them, then sells them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7540 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 10:45 AM

We may not see Flair this spring or summer. News hitting the wires now they are cutting 600 flights but not giving specifics.

All news outlets posting the same story, very vague on which routes.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users