Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#7561 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 02:38 PM

It's 8" more pitch on the Premium vs Economy for the Westjet 737-800 Max. Likely equates to about 6" more legroom after the larger seat is factored in.

Yeah thanks I know about the pitch I guess what I was wondering if there was more physical separation between the seat(s) in the row in front so I can really stretch out the legs. Guess I'll find out in eleven days, heh.

• Matt R. likes this

#7562 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2024 - 03:18 PM

38" vs 30" pitch. So most of that has gotta be legroom lol

#7563 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 09:15 PM

The majority of travel out of YYJ is leisure travel and most people would rather spend the money at their destination then on a business class seat.

I retired in 2018 working primarily CSA, { check in } at YYJ. Not a large majority, but the suit and brief case crowd was there. Conferences in Victoria as well drew some wanting a business class experience or company was paying for. Most MP's and some MLA's took business. Even when i picked up a family member back in early Feb from the states, they said 1st class on the Alaska flight was full into YYJ. 

#7564 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:02 PM

Alaska has a pretty liberal upgrade program. I would be shocked if their First class wasn't full. It doesn't mean they're pulling high yields.

Coincidentally I was booking a YYJ-Toronto flight today.

I ended up booking Premium Rouge. Just for fun I checked how much similar flights in Business would be from Vancouver on AC. Vancouver departure was about 45% higher for the same day one way, also on narrowbody aircraft.

Victoria just doesn't seem to support the fares that year round mainline would require.

#7565 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:20 PM

We upgraded our upcoming flights to and back to MX to W-J premium seats. What kind of legroom do those seats offer? Mainly opted for premium seating because of the circulation issue in my lower leg which just killed me last year flying regular/economy class to Halifax on A-C. By the time we got to Pearson my leg was literally numb, so I'm hoping WJ premium will allow the flights to be at least somewhat bearable.

Sorry, you’ve never flown in premium economy? Sorry to say, you will never go back to economy. WestJet does a great job with this product IMO. I am sure you can look up the flight and see what the specs are re leg room etc, but the section is just so superior in every way. You won’t regret the extra cost.

#7566 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:36 PM

Sorry, you’ve never flown in premium economy? Sorry to say, you will never go back to economy. WestJet does a great job with this product IMO. I am sure you can look up the flight and see what the specs are re leg room etc, but the section is just so superior in every way. You won’t regret the extra cost.

Cost is never a concern for us frankly. Most of my WJ flying was done on (previous) company business to Calgary/Edmonton especially and, occasionally to TO, so premium seating was never something that figured in on those mostly short haul flights to and from.

Otherwise most of my international stuff has either been British Airways, certain US airlines and occasionally AC. As mentioned earlier we were very impressed with AC last year on a YYJ -  Halifax and back trip to attend to family business. AC was very organized and thoroughly professional. WJ, well IDGAF about them honestly, after our last two very subpar experiences with them; if this trip annoys me only half as much as the last two junkets with them I will go very far out of my way to avoid WJ at all costs in the future. We're only using them this time because the flights are direct to the Yucatan; to go via AC would have required going via TO.

• Matt R. and Missed Approach like this

#7567 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:38 PM

I am confident you’ll like the product and comfort. I won’t do economy on anything over 3-4 hours. I’d rather spend the extra.

#7568 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:43 PM

That’s exactly why I flew WJ in December. Direct flights from YYJ.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#7569 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:47 PM

I recall Air Transat several years ago had awesome Club Class seats on a flight to the Caribbean, and of course nothing beats British Airways business class which is on another level altogether. I expect WJ premium seating to be decent although if they want to retain our business they better be a hell of a lot better than "ok". Their CS is s*** as far as I'm concerned based on the last two interactions with them, and I won't even get into the details of their beyond pathetic response after they completely destroyed a brand new piece of luggage belonging to Mrs ASE on a trip last year to Regina.

• Matt R. and Missed Approach like this

#7570 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:35 AM

Mars Water bomber heads to her final resting spot in Sidney. 

Great interest is growing for the latest addition to the BC Aviation museum.

I'm not a member but have considered joining for some time now. I have a few friends who are and the interest they say, is growing everyday. 

I feel this will be a huge draw from reading the article, as many will find her closer to a metro area than driving all the way to Sprout Lake and from afar thru fences. The international attention she will get once she arrives in the fall will be interesting too.

https://www.timescol...-museum-8520547

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#7571 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:36 AM

It’s a great add. I wish the museum would work harder to raise its profile. It’s an interesting place.
  • Missed Approach likes this

#7572 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:39 AM

It scores high at Truoadvisur

https://www.tripadvi...couver_Isl.html

But I feel they probably don’t position themselves well as “Victoria”. They and Sidney could benefit.

It’s a legitimate “several hours” attraction that we can use.

If they had a proper marketing department maybe they could even partner with Grey Line as a scenic tour stop/destination.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 March 2024 - 11:44 AM.

#7573 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:05 PM

Trump Media & Technology Group stock was falling Thursday, the last trading day of a holiday-shortened week.

Shortly before the close, Trump Media shares were down 6.2% at $62.09.

The stock closed up 14% at $66.22 on Wednesday. That left the company valued at roughly $8 billion, making Donald Trump’s approximately 60% stake worth about $5.2 billion.

https://www.barrons....-price-d766f0aa

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 March 2024 - 12:05 PM.

#7574 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:20 PM

If they had a proper marketing department maybe they could even partner with Grey Line as a scenic tour stop/destination.

Grey Line (WIlsons) couldn't even make the airport shuttle work.

#7575 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:32 PM

Yes. But you make it a sightseeing trip plus air museum and Sidney By The Sea once per day. It’ll work.

Sell that bastard!

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 March 2024 - 12:33 PM.

#7576 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:37 PM

Especially as a cruise excursion, yes, it'll work. 

#7577 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 10:55 AM

At the time I'm typing this and posting, the BC aviation museum is having it's LIVE media event. 

Here is the link to watch it LIVE now or later after the event.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-kGaeIPW1YA

subscribe to their channel, their media guy is a great guy donating this time and talent as a working Full Time real-estate agent. 

Edited by Missed Approach, 29 March 2024 - 10:59 AM.

#7578 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 11:48 AM

...their media guy is a great guy donating this time and talent as a working Full Time real-estate agent. 

Is there anything Marko J. can't do?  ;)

#7579 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 12:55 PM

Is there anything Marko J. can't do?  ;)

I was thinking of Greg Duerksen and his multi media talents. 

#7580 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 10:32 AM

I noticed this awhile ago, back in the early fall. Air North's triangle route from Whitehorse YXY, to YYJ use to be some days of the week direct, departing YYJ for YVR then on wards to YXY. Other days of the week would arrive to YYJ via YVR and then non stop to YXY.

All flights are now routed thru YVR, arriving and departing. Only one flight in Oct 2024 that is non stop each way for the TC 10K marathon which is very popular with the Yukon folks.

Air North only operates, 3 times a week and sometimes 4 in the summer. 

So now the YYJ-YVR route has regular carrier flights by 4 operators. One of the shortest 737 flights in Canada that I am aware of.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), AllseeingEye