BUILT
Vista Senior Living
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 622 Admirals Road
Municipality: Esquimalt
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 11
Vista Senior Living is an 11-storey seniors residence along the 600-block of Admirals Road in the municipality... (view full profile)
Learn more about Vista Senior Living on Citified.ca
Photo

[Esquimalt] Vista Senior Living (Legion tower) | Seniors rentals, condos and memory care | 11-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

At first I thought the ground floor was left blank because they hadn't decided what to do with it. Why would you have blank wall on the front of a building unless it's a hospital or prison?

#62 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

It has passed some type of step today and is going to council in the New Year.

Trimmed from the Esquimalt Advisory Planning Commission December 18 agenda:

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To rezone the property to permit a 12-storey mixed-use building incorporating 140 "seniors supportive housing" units and 12 "veterans" units along with a new Legion facility and assorted ancillary uses.
RECOMMENDATION:
That the Advisory Planning commission recommends to Council that the application to rezone Lots...to allow for a 12 storey mixed-use building incorporating 140 "seniors supportive housing" units and 12 "veterans" units as well as a new Legion facility and assorted ancillary uses that the application be "approved subject to provision of a detailed parking study indicating that the proposed parking variances are acceptable" .

The 20 storey proposal had 230-250 units.

#63 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

^^ So in other words it is kind of a hospital.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Esquimalt Council heard concerns about building size and parking availability at a public hearing into the proposed Esquimalt Legion high-rise.

"The building will put my lot in a shadow"

"This is a developer's project which is too large for the said piece of land"

"The legion already has 65 parking stalls and that's not even enough, the streets of Esquimalt are already full"

http://www.cfax1070....er-Esquimalt-hi
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Just makes no sense to me.... property is zoned for what is proposed.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Can anyone confirm reports that this tower has been approved with demolition of the legion starting early next year?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

It really looks like something straight out of Edmonton in the 90's. That ground floor and the overall massing...
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,758 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

Yep, if that image is the real deal then it's pretty much exactly what Esquimalt should not be doing re: allowing highrises.

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

It really looks like something straight out of Edmonton in the 90's. That ground floor and the overall massing...

Trust me, this building would still be all the rage in Edmonton ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

I spoke with the developer a month or so ago right before the last reading (was actually at the barber and he came in looking for community support). He had a different building which is the one being put fourth to council. It showed a softer ground floor with more windows and stone instead of brick.

#71 aastra

aastra
  • 20,758 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

New legion tower in Brampton, ON:
http://urbantoronto....le-housing-peel

picture by Dwils01 at www.skyscraperpage.com/forum

I'd say this Brampton building looks a lot better than the Esquimalt proposal.

#72 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Apparently this thing is approved.

http://www.timescolo...owers-1.1156764

Please tell me this is not the final design.

lt_main.jpg

• AllseeingEye likes this

#73 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

I think all that people in Esquimalt care about in regards to large buildings is the shadows that are cast. Design can be anything

#74 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Apparently this thing is approved.

http://www.timescolo...owers-1.1156764

Please tell me this is not the final design.

lt_main.jpg

And in a nutshell Jonny you describe one of my ongoing and biggest pet peeves especially with the nimby, anti-height crowd in Victoria; yep as long as it isn't tall (heaven forbid!) then with only a few exceptions it seems that any old craptacular, s****y design appears to pass muster around here. I second your comment except to add that I_really hope this is not what was approved. That is one spectacularly fuuuuuugly rendering so let us hope it remains just that, a rendering.

• Nparker likes this

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

...one of my ongoing and biggest pet peeves especially with the nimby, anti-height crowd in Victoria...as long as it isn't tall (heaven forbid!) then with only a few exceptions it seems that any old craptacular, s****y design appears to pass muster around here...

Truer (and sadder) words were never spoken (or in this case written).

#76 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

This thing is hideous. Like maybe the worst proposal of the past 10 years.

Is this going to be a 12 floor stucco building? What's with the burnt orange and jaundice yellow?

What is with that huge strip of brown from the ground to about 30 feet up?

Is that a parking lot out front?

Why is it so fat (wide). Why do we allow these wide ass buildings to get approved?

It's like the Wave, but only 1,000 times uglier.

Why not make the fat part a little shorter and the tower part taller?

Meanwhile, a rezoning application for the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 172, at 622 Admirals Rd., by developer Chris Fitzpatrick was passed.

The rezoning changes the core commercial zoning to a comprehensive development zone to accommodate a commercial and residential mixed-use development — a 12-storey building including 152 independent living units for seniors, a commercial area including the legion’s facility, and general commercial space.

“It’s going to create a great streetscape,” Hodgins said.

The development now moves on to the development permit stage. “That’s a huge move forward,” he said. “It’s pretty much a done deal now.”

A great streetscape? My God, look at that hugemongous brown, blank ribbon along the bottom of this thing. Not to mention the parking lot. Yes, parking lots and big brown walls like at Capitol 6 downtown create just magnificent streetscapes. Very vibrant indeed.

The only streetscape that is going to create is a good place to bounce tennis balls off of or tag.

I'm usually pretty optimistic about buildings and proposals, but I honestly hate this thing and hope it is never built.

Edited by jonny, 25 June 2014 - 03:17 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#77 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

It looks like a medical building you'd see in the outskirts of Dallas Texas or something

#78 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

Truer (and sadder) words were never spoken (or in this case written).

And to that NParker should be added "regrettably"......

Didn't this one start off life as a 17-storey proposal with a more modern design? It seems to be the "Victoria Way" however:

Step1> Hack any proposal in half, right from the start - this is a given;

Step 2> In return for the developer's agreement to go from taller to "midget size" approve whatever bland materials or awful color schemes they serve up;

Step 3> Point to the finished product as proof of yet another 'world class' development in Ye Olde Victoria. Naturally.

Let me just say again in case I wasn't clear the first time.....this is butt U.G.L.Y. It reminds me of any one of several dozen non-descript buildings along Skytrain in Burnaby....Joyce Station, Edmonds, 23rd Street, Patterson Station, take your pick. Same dull design, putrid colors and materials except - of course! since this is Victoria - its half the height. Yuck.

• Nparker likes this

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

And yet the same developer is proposing this in Esquimalt. What a difference.

Drawing_from_the-south-500.jpg

Know it all.

#80 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

^Oh that's dead... the property is up for sale.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users