Minimum Wage Hike

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:01 PM

Well according to the [url=http://hdr.undp.org/hdr2006/statistics/indicators/27.html:5c1e0]2006 UN Human Poverty Index[/url:5c1e0], Canada was ranker better (6th). The US was 8th.

That is not an indicator of standard of living. It's got some wishy washy crap about knowledge, and also life expectancy etc. I'm talking purely financial.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

A composite index measuring deprivations in the three basic dimensions captured in the human development index— a long and healthy life, knowledge and a decent standard of living—and also capturing social exclusion.

And what wishy washy crap are you referring? Health? Education? Certainly not Standard of Living, since you brought it up that subject.

It is actually a mathematical calculation put together by solid data and formulated by the UN.

Since we're on the subject of sources...

The US standard of living is 20% higher than Canada. Canadians earn less on average than the poorest US state. Canadians earn less on average than the average black US person.

^Where's the beef?

#23 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:45 PM

Canada has slid from its 2000 HDI rank of one to its current rank of six. The US has fallen equally, from 3 to 8, but is trending upwards, while Canada has not yet halted its decline.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

[quote name='gumgum'][quote]A composite index measuring deprivations in the three basic dimensions captured in the human development index— a long and healthy life, knowledge and a decent standard of living—and also capturing social exclusion.[/quote]
And what wishy washy crap are you referring? Health? Education? Certainly not Standard of Living, since you brought it up that subject.

It is actually a mathematical calculation put together by solid data and formulated by the UN.

Since we're on the subject of sources...
[quote:f5e3d]The US standard of living is 20% higher than Canada. Canadians earn less on average than the poorest US state. Canadians earn less on average than the average black US person.[/quote]
^Where's the beef?[/quote:f5e3d]

Look up the definition of "standard of living". It's purely based on economics, nothing else.

See page #17 here: http://www.csls.ca/i...rneau-un-en.pdf
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

I don't argue what Standard of Living means.

If that's your source on pure Standard of Living stats then you should look up something more up to date. That data is from 1992 to 1997.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:54 PM

If that's your source on pure Standard of Living stats then you should look up something more up to date. That data is from 1992 to 1997.

...and gets worse as we lost productivity gains to the US esp. in high-tech issues. We have a long way to go.

Here is 2001 from our government scroll down to the first graph of GDP:

http://dsp-psd.pwgsc... ... 0223-e.htm

...then go way down to figure 5 graph and se our productivity...

Remember, this is from our own govt.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:44 AM

This is a time when the wisdom of George W. Bush is required:

"If you don't have any ambitions, the minimum-wage job isn't going to get you to where you want to get, for example. In other words, what is your ambitions? And oh, by the way, if that is your ambition, here's what it's going to take to achieve it."

—Speech to students in Little Rock, Ark., Aug. 29, 2002

"You know, when you give a man more money in his pocket—in this case, a woman more money in her pocket to expand a business, it—they build new buildings. And when somebody builds a new building somebody has got to come and build the building. And when the building expanded it prevented additional opportunities for people to work."

—Lancaster, Pa., Oct. 3, 2007

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thank you Holden, for sharing those very wise words with us.
I hope that the other posters will pay attention to this message.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 08:48 AM

CBC headline: Why some businesses are paying staff a living wage, not just the minimum

Advocacy groups say there's a big gap between minimum wage and the true cost of living

https://www.cbc.ca/news

First of all, most businesses pay over the minimum wage. And most experienced workers make more than the “living wage”.

But jobs that require little skill and/or experience and result in minimal productivity gains for business will always pay less.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 March 2022 - 08:50 AM.

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:52 AM

^ It is basic supply and demand. Businesses pay what they have to to get the labour they need. The upper end of that pay is generally how much customers are willing to pay for the product or service.

Trying to legislate changes to economic theory usually just impacts the people the politicians are trying to help. We see automated checkouts replacing cashiers, shorter hours to reduce staff count and benefits and hotels making daily housekeeping optional as simple examples. 

#31 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:36 PM

This will be the first min wage bump where we won’t increase all hourly wages the same amount. If we have a good summer most will probably net the same as a bonus, but we can’t have the extra wage burden going into the wildcard that is the fall and winter and we’ll feel the full brunt of the EHT as well since buying the second business as we only get the deduction for one of them, not both.

Wages and general COGS are absolutely insane right now. Just put our new menus with increases of 5-15% across the board (except most liquor) and we’ll do the same again by May long weekend if trends continue.

Edited by Matt R., 20 March 2022 - 11:07 PM.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 06:32 AM

What’s a burger and fries cost at the Rock now?

I use that as the barometer of where costs are at.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 07:07 AM

Hmm plain beef at $18 deluxe at $21. Nice to see you’re paying attention.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:20 AM

Yup, that sounds about right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 05:28 PM

Min wage going up $1.10 or 7% in June, in line with inflation. Why don’t they raise the EHT deductible in line with inflation? I guess government never misses an opportunity to bump taxes.

Ready for more price increases to ease that cost of living.
  • NinVic and Barrrister like this

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 06:11 PM

I've heard people championing this latest hike to the minimum wage, never giving a thought to the fact it means the price of many goods and services is only going to get more expensive.

• Barrrister likes this

#37 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 07:58 AM

I've heard people championing this latest hike to the minimum wage, never giving a thought to the fact it means the price of many goods and services is only going to get more expensive.

When you artificially interfere with the free market there are consequences. Can anyone tell me that minimum wage increases over the past 5 years have solved the affordability issue for lower income earners or has it made it worse!

In fact the City of Vancouver just dropped it's living wage policy. I wonder if Victoria will follow suit soon.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...olicy-1.6309675

• Nparker likes this

#38 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:38 AM

Up up and away! Wages go up, prices go up, tips go up. Too bad they keep me in the kitchen!

#39 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 05:39 AM

The minimum wage in Saskatchewan increases to $14 from $13 on Sunday, but is still the lowest in Canada.

Some experts and minimum wage earners say it will not be nearly sufficient as inflation fuels rising costs of living.

"I don't think it's enough. I've got a family, I've got kids and grandkids. They all depend on me and working minimum wage for 22 hours a week is not enough," Sarah Marr, who works at Taco Bell in Saskatoon, said.

Marr shares a $1,600-per-month home with five other people and said she is "scrambling every single month," borrowing money from her mother, roommates or friends to pay bills.

"I'm like a working poor person. Right now, I'm behind by almost a month and a half on my rent. I've got utility bills that I can't afford and no groceries in my house."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...iving-1.6982982

Maksudur Raahman, who works 40 to 50 hours a week for minimum wage at two restaurants, agreed. He said he had only had one weekend off in the past month.

The 38-year-old moved to Saskatoon from Bangladesh in March with his wife and three-year-old daughter for a better quality of life.

Kumar said he earns $1,400 a month (23 hours per week), but that with his bills — including an $800 car payment — he is hardly left with any.

Tianna Morin is no stranger to that feeling. The single mother of two works as a gas jockey and cashier in Pleasant Hill.

"The cost of living is really high too and then they tax everything too. I don't even get 40 hours, so the paycheques are kind of low," she said.

"Give us a raise."

Some experts and minimum wage earners say it will not be nearly sufficient as inflation fuels rising costs of living.

Maybe you should be a better worker and then you will earn more than minimum wage.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 October 2023 - 05:49 AM.

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 05:55 AM

Ontario's minimum wage rises on Sunday to $16.55 an hour.

The increase is tied to inflation, and is up 6.8 per cent from the previous rate of $15.50 an hour.

The province first announced the increase in March, in order to give businesses time to plan.

Labour advocates and opposition critics have said Ontario should introduce a $20 minimum wage.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rises-1.6983918

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 October 2023 - 05:55 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users