More people, busier roads, but no easy fix

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

how about we be more efficiant about how we do things, work shop, play. Heck, we went three or four days in 1996 where nobody could move and nobody died.

Ah yes, the great blizzard of 96. That was sure the most peaceful few days we had, all you could hear was the road tractors digging us out.

#22 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

Here is some comments from the TC website in regards to this topic. Scroll down to the comments, they are amusing. Here are the links;

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34c6547e-5ed9-4307-886e-e047c6d36e35&k=28140

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/comment/story.html?id=52769fea-5fe2-4ee7-8889-db516f8459b7

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=0a848c81-37ad-47ed-81ba-59b7dff1748f

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

With regards to the west shore and transit, I think if they fully utilized the transit that they already have we'd be in a better position to justify their transit experiments.

HOWEVER, it should be noted that 20% of the regions transit use comes from the west shore. And on the surface that may seem good, as 20% of the population of the CRD lives in the westshore. BUT, the westshore is disproportionately concerned over its traffic congestion. You hear more about west shore traffic jams then you do from all other areas of the CRD combined. So that 20% ridership for 20% of the population and ~70% of traffic complaints (that figure could be higher or lower, but seems about right, no?) starts to make the 20% of regional ridership look pretty dismal. If they were as concerned about traffic and looked to transit as a solution we'd be seeing a far greater ridership than we currently are. Case in point, transit out there is as popular as F350s are in downtown Vic.

Now you may be thinking that if 80% of ridership represents the other 80% of the population evenly, remember that people bicker and complain about the Pat Bay (all those residents in Saanich and Saan Penn). I'd suggest that ~70% of ridership is within the urban core, repping about 40-50% of the total pop (I'm not counting non-urban Saanich of which a big chunk of that muni's pop belongs to but it is technically part of the "core"), and the remaining ~10% is from the peninsula/non-urbanized Saanich.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

Suggestion for new highway overpasses -- just to "ease" any frustrations... :-)

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#25 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

This is an excerpt from the TC today.

Transforming the E&N Rail line into a commuter link to the downtown from Langford or even Duncan has long been seen by many as one of the keys to the puzzle.

I totally support this.

Davis says the E&N might some day make a good commuter link to Langford from over the Malahat but as a commuter to downtown, it has its weaknesses including lack of population base, expense of operation and a less-than-ideal drop off downtown.

Which is why you give developers an incentive to build along the corridor in the urban areas at station locations. At the same time you move the current downtown station closer to Douglas st.

"The Langford to Victoria market is not a commuter rail market," he says. "It's too short a distance. ... There's no identified regional growth areas on there. The station is not well located. You can't even get a bus near the existing station on the inbound way [in Langford] . ... I don't see it as an option."

I support commuter rail from Duncan to Victoria, and at the same time, mulitple modes serving multiple corridors. The Langford to Victoria will be viable down the road, but the Duncan to Victoria market will work now.

Another downside to commuter trains is that they contribute to sprawl, says Corbett.

"Growth in Mill Bay, if they ever get a commuter rail, will really increase because you can buy more house and still get downtown in a convenient way. They're great and help you shift mode share, but what they do is also encourage development well away from your core," she says.

Since when did rail encourage sprawl? It is already happening, and that is due to the automobile and the high cost of living in Victoria. Rail would encourage development to occur near the corridor not away from it. People are moving here regardless, the trick is to mold development along transit corridors, ie the E&N, Rapid Bus, LRT, and streetcar.

#26 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

All the more reason why I think Esquimalt is going to be "discovered" in the next 2 years. Just think, no Colwood Crawl, minutes to downtown and shopping centres.....Being a bit facetious here, but I never understood why places like Royal Bay command such high prices. All it takes is for one or 2 streets in Esquimalt to start.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

Plenty of streets in Esquimalt have already started, btw.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:11 AM

Ideas I like from this thread and the comments posted on the TC threads...

- Seabus shortcuts
- HOV lane/dedicated bus lanes for the crawl
- E&N commuter route
- Incentives for very high density along desired transit routes and particularly train/bus/seabus stops.
- Incentives for low end market housing along desired transit routes.
- Make the core transit spectacular, user friendly, and frequent to encourage more ridership in the core.

My transit story...

Living in Rockland I have the choice of walking about 15 minutes to get to a bus route with frequent service, or taking the #1 Richardson bus which comes around once an hour with no nights or weekend service. As a result, I have stopped taking the bus so much. If I am in a rush - I catch a taxi, if I am not, it is almost just as easy to do the 35 min walk downtown. But when I do take the Richardson bus, I am always amazed at how much of a community experience it is.

The bus driver's name is Barry, he is a kindly gentleman, with an English accent. If someone doesn't show up for awhile, he asks after them, and he seems to know many of his riders names. Also on the bus in the mornings are a gang of elderly ladies, the source of many a pleasant chat. One lady once told me about when the war (WW1) broke out, and the sisters of Saint Anns took the children to the park so that the parents could talk about this news. Another lady tells me about her son, the security guard, and has such a sense of humour, sly and unpredictable, that I often find myself "getting" something she has said later that day, and bursting out laughing. It was on the #1 Richardson, as we trundled along through South Fairfield one spring day, cherry blossoms like snow outside the windows, that one of the seniors turned to me and said "My dear, when I die, if heaven is half as beautiful as Victoria, I will be happy." Words to live by. For the morning run, there are two families who take the bus to school. One little girl gets on the bus with her mother, to join the two other little girls who are already sitting on the bus with their father. If one of the families is missing - oh the heartbreak! As we approach the stop where the mother and daughter board, we all listen to the anticipation of the waiting children, and who cannot smile at the HUGE grin on the child's face as she boards the bus and catches sight of her friends? There are also two gentlemen, dressed very smartly, who appear to be professionals of some kind. I like to sit behind them because their conversation is always so interesting - recent articles from the Economist, global events, political opinions... they are my morning newspaper.

Once, when feeling lonely and disconnected with the world, I got up in the morning and went to ride the number #1 Richardson. I rode it downtown, had a cup of coffee, and rode it back. By the time I got back, all was well in my world. My little slice of voyeurism complete, I knew again that I live in a wonderful community, in a beautiful city, with a magic bus at my doorstep, presided over by the benevolent presence of Barry the bus driver.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:49 PM

A junkie was begging people for money on my bus ride back from downtown today.

Something tells me the #1 might be an exception to the rule, but cool story nonetheless :)

Know it all.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Caramia! Great story.

When I used to work in Cordova Bay I was on the 32 all the time and there was quite the community there too. I think that it just comes with being on there regularly enough.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#31 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

Seening as we're almost neighbours and I take the #1 fairly often (although I usually get the #2 these days) I'm sure we've seen each other. Where and when do you usually get it?

The #1 used to go right in front of my house till the wise planners changed it to go a much worse way.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:45 AM

Interesting suggestion in todays TC. BC Ferries relinquish the Mill Bay ferry to Min of Transport and they put a second boat on so that it can ease congestion on the Trans Canada and speed access to other parts of the city. I know that variation have been suggested before but perhaps the system could be sold to BC Transit rather than Min of Transport. A second ferry would speed things up and it could perhaps run later. NOt sure if Mill Bay and Brentwood would want all that extra traffic though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#33 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

I catch it down at the corner of Richmond and Richardson. I think one of the things that makes that bus ride so neat is the fact that it has one constant bus driver on on the route - a side effect of the horribly infrequent scheduling. Baro we should really have a coffee together or something some day. It is a bit silly that we read each other's posts every day, I can throw a stone and hit your house, but we've never met.

On the other hand - I could be a psycho chick who brings nothing but trouble to your household.
:twisted:
/huggles internet anonymity.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#34 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

Improved Transit service and good cycling routes would put an end to any traffic increase from the new mall. But only if the connecting transportation links are planned properly.

Completely ludicrous. Currently at town and country there are buses every few minutes to destinations around the city and traffic is still a nightmare. The Galloping goose is close by as well. The only thing that will solve the traffic problems is better road ways.

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:01 AM

^ Do you work for the Cato Institute? If not you should look at applying for a job.

#36 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

Well need 4-8 lane highways to further fuel our suburban growth, bootstraps for the homeless to pull up, and the elimination of local shops as walmarts are far more efficient.

For peace and quiet residences must be separated from other uses, but the huge highways will ensure a pleasant drive to the nearest walmart. Sidewalks are redundant and bike lanes are a communist plot to encourage people away from driving, which with our failing auto-industry is obviously a plot to destroy our economy. Anyone who disagrees is a lazy yuppie that doesn't understand the real world. (ps no coloured people allowed, but if some are spotted the large highways will serve as a quick escape route to farther out suburbs and newer walmarts)

This method of planning, by all my measures, is logical and fool proof.

#37 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

We should just tear down downtown and building one massive ****ing Walmart.
James Bay could be the parking lot and North Fairfield could be for loading and unloading.
This solution would also take care of that dreaded scum problem downtown is plagued with.

#38 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

I'm not sure whether to cry or laugh...Baro, that was beautiful...gumgum that was hilarious in its own way...Both of you have brought forward the absurdity of some previous posts on here and another thread.

I'm pretty sure that the suggestions for improved Transit at Uptown do not include massive amounts of buses running through an already congested area but perhaps terminus's for those buses (such as used in the Westshore, Vancouver, Calgary etc...), to keep them off the road-side stops to ease traffic flow. Its rather obvious you have no real knowledge of urban and sustainable planning, because you'd understand that this is more where this discussion was headed (integration of express buses, light rapid transit, increased bike accessibility (when you consider its only really accessible via the Goose, there is a rather large population base on the Southern quadrant of the CRD which makes riding the Goose to Uptown a very arduous journey..., some more level headed planning and thought to future usages of this area is well in order. The original planning for this region probably didn't expect such a massive re-development or such a high volume of traffic or the population increases and newer communities Victoria now has, thus it can bottleneck rather severally in this region with tourist, urban dwellers, westshore dwellers, etc etc etc... Why is everything with you're posts so negative? It would much healthier to this whole discussion to put forward more factual and relevant points than broad statements someone (who obviously has some knowledge of urban planning and transportation issues) to the gutter so fast?

#39 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

Have you people reviewed the bus schedule for the area? Seriously buses are frequent and busy. The galloping goose is packed during the spring and summer especially in this area. I know because I commute by bike and occasionally bus. Even with the alternatives the traffic sucks and the only thing that will fix the problem is better roads. Take off the rose coloured glasses.

Look at Vancouver to see an example of a city which failed it big time in the urban planning department. People are proud of the massive traffic problems in Vancouver too just like all of you seem to be proud of our nightmares in teh making.

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

What specific road improvements would you like to see?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users