399 replies to this topic

#261 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

heron-cove-concept-jpg.jpg

heron-cove-map.jpg

Arguing connectivity is key to the success of the David Foster Harbour Pathway, Victoria councillors rejected on Thursday a staff recommendation to defer construction of the Heron Cove footbridge.

Instead, councillors agreed with earlier plans that will see both the $2.8-million bridge at Heron Cove and the $1.7-million bridge at Raymur Point built this year.

The bridges are part of a $27-million plan to complete the five-kilometre David Foster Harbour Pathway from Ogden Point to Rock Bay.

The pedestrian bridge would be three metres wide and 39 metres long, with terraced timber sundecks at one end and stairs to the rocky beach.

City staff had suggested moving ahead with the Raymur Point bridge, but said there were higher-priority pathway elements such as development of the Johnson Street Bridge pedestrian underpass along with improvements at the Belleville Street terminal and Ship Point that should be developed before the bridge at Heron Cove. The deferral would have meant the loss of about $400,000 in grant money.

http://www.timescolo...h.KQyY2aNe.dpuf

#262 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

I wonder what the owners of that house think.  It might have been easier to buy it, replace it with homes right at the sidewalk, then have the trail go on the shore behind it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#263 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

Where is "Raymur Point"?

#264 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:56 AM

i had to look it up in a gazeteer. it looks like it's on the other side of that hotel there & i guess it goes across to the coast harbourside
https://goo.gl/maps/pUE36v9smUT2
  • Nparker likes this

#265 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

Shockingly I actually find myself in agreement with the CoV councilors for a change. For once its nice to see a "just get it done" mantra as opposed to the usual 'well....it requires more study'....that (historically) seems far too prevalent on far too many initiatives in this city. Good for them.

• sebberry and Hotel Mike like this

#266 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

i swear the city would be better off if the staff ran the show and our councillors were given the boot
  • Nparker, grantpalin, Chris City and 1 other like this

#267 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

I wonder what the owners of that house think.  It might have been easier to buy it, replace it with homes right at the sidewalk, then have the trail go on the shore behind it.

The owner of those two houses has resolutely refused to sell.
Pieta VanDyke

#268 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:43 AM

Oh well, I hope someone tried anyway.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#269 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

Todays TC

City staff had suggested moving ahead with the Raymur Point bridge, but said there were higher-priority pathway elements such as development of the Johnson Street Bridge pedestrian underpass along with improvements at the Belleville Street terminal and Ship Point that should be developed before the bridge at Heron Cove.

The deferral would have meant the loss of about $400,000 in grant money. 

Coun. Geoff Young said the Heron Cove bridge is a “central element” of the project.

“It’s what will revolutionize, change the whole nature of it,” Young said, adding improvements at Belleville Street or Ship Point were not essential.

“The bridge will shorten the pathway, will make it far more visible and attractive and will increase the use [of the pathway] enormously,” Young said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.cOdUDnL1.dpuf

Grant money is great to help build bridges, after all the city jumped at the chance for some infrastructure money to build a new Johnson Street Bridge.

But what about the design for the bridge over Heron Cove.

What we have is a plain off the shelf straight bridge, that does nothing to enhance the location.

It's BORING

Surely we can come up with something better to honour David Foster and make the bridge the "must see" location on the walkway.

My idea is to build something creative that includes a piano and the bridge in concert with each other.

A giant keyboard could be incorporated into the path from Kingston Street. The keys would not move and would be flush with the surface of the path.

How about something like this?

Heron Cove Bridge.jpg

#270 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

It's a grand vision but you just know it will strike a sour note with some people.

(Maybe somebody should take Bingo's keys away until he sobers up?)

• Bingo likes this

#271 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

You know, a simple piano-patterned walkway might actually work somewhere along this path. Keep it subdued. Not a psychedelic Alice-in-Wonderland thing.

pianokeys.jpg

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#272 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:41 PM

One of the homes has heritage designation and was once the studio of well know Victoria sculptor, Elsa Mayhew.

This artist’s studio is an excellent example of Mid-Twentieth Century Modern Movement design by noted Victoria architect Alan Hodgson. 

Mr. Hodgson was one of the restoration architects for the B.C. Legislative Building in 1973, the Masonic Temple on Douglas St

and the rehabilitation of and addition to the McPherson Theatre in 1965.

http://www.victoriah...awrence330.html

#273 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

^lawsuit path

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

#274 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

The black keys would spring up unexpectedly during daylight hours only, and a warning siren would sound each time.

• Matt R. likes this

#275 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

The black keys would spring up unexpectedly during daylight hours only, and a warning siren would sound each time.

You've been hanging out with VHF too much.

#276 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

He wanted an automated voice ("Warning! Look out! Warning!") in six languages and then a snippet from Beethoven's 5th. The siren was a compromise.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#277 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Should probably merge this with http://vibrantvictor...vid-foster-way/

#278 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

Should probably merge this with http://vibrantvictor...vid-foster-way/

I agree

#279 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

You know, a simple piano-patterned walkway might actually work somewhere along this path. Keep it subdued. Not a psychedelic Alice-in-Wonderland thing.

pianokeys.jpg

...or go all-out! why stop with a keyboard that doesn't even make noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl3YXl_m0uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJrWlHRT-18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FscKSB7Hh_w

#280 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

How far does David Foster’s name go?

Victoria councillors will soon meet behind closed doors to decide just that.

Coun. Ben Isitt suggested during a committee meeting that it’s time to define just how much of the planned five-kilometre $27-million walkway between Ogden Point and Rock Bay should bear Foster’s name.

The public portion of the discussion ended quickly when Coun. Geoff Young noted that as the issue involved a living person, deliberations on the matter would be more properly held in-camera.

In a later interview, Isitt said that when the decision was made to name the pathway after Foster, how much of the footpath would actually be David Foster Way was never defined.

“To my knowledge, there has been no council direction in terms of what is the David Foster Harbour Pathway, so I think there would be a benefit to everyone to clearly define that.”

Isitt would like to see David Foster Way be defined as the portion of path along the Inner Harbour — from Osewgo and Belleville streets to Ship Point.

I hope they do not screw this up.  It should be David Foster pathway from Fisherman's Wharf to however far it goes north.  We do not need a pathway with 4 different names for 4 parts.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users