David Foster Harbour Pathway | 2007 - ongoing

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#281 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:14 AM

*Because this should be what council is spending there time on.

*No its not.
  • Nparker and shoeflack like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#282 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

I hope they do not screw this up.  It should be David Foster pathway from Fisherman's Wharf to however far it goes north.

We do not need a pathway with 4 different names for 4 parts.

Why would any one wanted a pathway named after them that went anywhere near the bridge ring gear?

I say Fisherman's Wharf to the Malahat Building, and call it a path.

#283 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

I don't know, there could be some naming rights cash available here.

Do I hear the Vibrant Victoria Walkway????

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and todd like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#284 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

I'd be upset if my name was posted on signs along the current disjointed set of sidewalks (in various states of disrepair) currently being marketed as a 'pathway.'

#285 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:59 AM

Okay, so initial planning for this pathway started with a masterplan in 2008. Updated plans in early 2013. More thorough designs in early 2014. Federal funding in late 2014 as part of the Trans-Canada Trail that stated construction to begin in 2015.

It's now early 2017 and plans are not complete - everything is still in proposed options/design stage. No construction has commenced or even announced.

I think if this is ever done, it will be a great draw for locals and tourists alike. The designs don't even have to be that nice or artistic. You don't hear people talking about how nice the concrete steps are on the Vancouver seawall - they speak of the views or the fact that they can get out for a nice long run etc. We have a beautiful harbour - just give us a continuous multi-use path around it so everyone can enjoy it.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#286 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

I wonder if Harbour Ferries would able to run a short shuttle around the gap in the walkway by the Coho Ferry terminal?

#287 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

If HF have a glass bottom vessel they would be able to view the oyster beds during the trip.

#288 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

Plans to build two pedestrian bridges to improve connectivity along the David Foster Harbour Pathway are moving ahead. Victoria city council recently passed a motion to begin construction on two pedestrian bridges — one at Raymuir Point and the other at Heron Cove — along with the completion of a special place at Heron Cove, a pathway at Reeson Park and permanent wayfinding signs at a cost of $5.1 million. Staff originally proposed completing the Raymuir Point Bridge, which stretches from the WorldMark property on Kingston Street to Laurel Point, and deferring the construction of the Heron Cove Bridge and special place in order to reallocate funds to the construction of higher priority projects such as the design of the Johnson Street Bridge underpass, public realm improvements on Belleville Street and improvements at Ship Point. However, that would mean the loss of $400,000 in federal grants for the project — something some councillors were not willing to let go.

http://www.vicnews.c.../413170483.html

#289 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

I would happy if none of it was called David Foster Walkway. It is soooo small town to name something after the one person that was from here that was famous and even worse if you have to explain who the famous person is because they are not that famous. I really really hate the idea.
  • thundergun likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#290 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

I'm not sure why it needs a name at all. Harbour walkway works for me. Just get it finished already.

• Baro likes this

#291 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

I would happy if none of it was called David Foster Walkway. It is soooo small town to name something after the one person that was from here that was famous and even worse if you have to explain who the famous person is because they are not that famous. I really really hate the idea.

I feel the same way really.  David Foster is a great guy, he does lots for his charity and others.  But he's simply not that famous outside of Victoria.  After all, he's a producer.  Not a performer, for the most part.

• Baro likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#292 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:11 PM

...David Foster is a great guy,...But he's...a producer.  Not a performer, for the most part.

Does anyone really want to stroll along the Nelly Furtado Walkway?

#293 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

I feel the same way really.  David Foster is a great guy, he does lots for his charity and others.  But he's simply not that famous outside of Victoria.  After all, he's a producer.  Not a performer, for the most part.

Interesting how after all this discussion we now have people chiming in that David Foster is not all that important, and why name a walkway after him. Truth is he is probably more famous "outside of Victoria" than here, as many of us seem to forget when he was in his prime as one of the top producers in the music industry. Why name streets after people at all if in a few years time nobody cares about who they were or if they made it onto the "Deaths of notable Victorian's" thread. For that matter how many will remember any of us a few years from now if we quit posting on VV, and who never had a walkway named in their memory.

#294 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

Based on Grammy Awards, he's the 2nd-best music producer ever.  But it's still very obscure.  If I'm the 2nd-best Formula 1 mechanic ever, I'm not popular.

It could have used another name that does not require explanation.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#295 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

i kind of like that some people might have to look up who he is. i'd never heard of elsie macgill until the BOC had the thing about who would be on the next $20 bill. i think people might only know a half-dozen people if it was always just the the same names every time something like this comes up. & i don't see any problem with being a good music producer. more people should know about people like david foster, brian eno, orrin keepnews, rudy van gelder, rick hall, ted templeman.....

#296 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

These days all sorts of people are world famous even though hardly anyone knows who they are. True story, when I first heard of that gangnam style thing it had already been viewed more than a billion times. I think I've mentioned on here before how many people at work had never heard of the Muppets. Didn't know what the Muppets were, couldn't name one, had never heard of Jim Henson, etc. They had all sorts of reasons for not knowing, too. They weren't born in Canada, they're too young, they're too old, and so forth. Despite the modern state's massive effort to convince us otherwise, each of us still retains a bit of individuality and personality. We're not all into the same stuff and we're not all doing the same things.

In David Foster's case I thought the whole premise was that he was successful and influential and connected but NOT famous. He brought stars and otherwise famous people to the softball game because he was connected, not because he was famous himself. I'm sure many Victorians have still never heard of him. I don't have any problem with naming something after him, but I also think informational plaques make for good little points of interest.

• Bingo likes this

#297 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

Along the lines of the musical stairwells, all along the walkway we could have big red buttons.  Press the button, and it plays a David Foster-produced song for 30 seconds.

It's a long list, so we could have over 100 buttons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bJJNUdXEs

• Bingo likes this

#298 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:11 AM

... I think I've mentioned on here before how many people at work had never heard of the Muppets. Didn't know what the Muppets were, couldn't name one, had never heard of Jim Henson, etc. ...

I'd be totally OK with it being named the Muppet Walkway, with markers and stops to reflect the various characters. It's a given there'd be a rest stop bench named "Statler & Waldorf".

• Mike K. likes this

#299 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

I don't think in all my working years I've ever had a conversation about the Muppets at the work water cooler.  I can see aastra at work, bringing in a stuffed Muppet character to try to jog memories.

#300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

I don't think in all my working years I've ever had a conversation about the Muppets at the work water cooler.  I can see aastra at work, bringing in a stuffed Muppet character to try to jog memories.

What rock are people living under? The Muppets have been part of global culture since the mid-1950s and they've never really gone away. Their most recent movie "Muppets Most Wanted", was released in 2014 and grossed over $80 million world wide. Sure that's not exactly Star Wars numbers but for a 60-year-old franchise it's not too shabby. Admittedly, they stumbled a bit with their last TV series, but they'll be back. You can't keep a good muppet down for long.

...Throughout their six decades of existence, the Muppets have been regarded as a staple of the entertainment industry and popular culture in the United States, receiving recognition from various cultural institutions and organizations, such as the American Film Institute, Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, Library of Congress, and the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/The_Muppets

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users