• Please log in to reply
1452 replies to this topic

#161 aastra

aastra
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Do we not have a thread for this one?

Proposed development sparks look at changes to Esquimalt's view of West Bay

Brown developed a set of draft guidelines in recent months in response to a development proposal for a 10-storey residential tower with ground-floor commercial space.

...(the proposal) has generated outrage from neighbouring business owners and residents, who say it does not fit in with the commercial marine village feel of the neighbourhood...

"Not only is it a major departure, it is actually a threat to what exists here,"

http://www.vicnews.c.../161470845.html

#162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,698 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

11 townhomes are being built at 3903-3911 Douglas Street adjacent to Swan Lake.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

What's happening with the old building that is being renovated at Harriet and Bolskine?

They have demolished everything except a small portion of the outside wall that has the electrical service attached. In fact so much of the interior support was removed that the electrical service was pulling the wall over.

#164 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

What's happening with the old building that is being renovated at Harriet and Bolskine?

They have demolished everything except a small portion of the outside wall that has the electrical service attached. In fact so much of the interior support was removed that the electrical service was pulling the wall over.

I was wondering the exact same thing.

#165 aastra

aastra
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Another mention of the West Bay project in the Times-Colonist:

West Bay Investments has gone to the municipality with a proposal to erect a 10-storey building — commercial on the ground floor, residential above that — on the Swallowed Anchor property and an adjacent parking lot. That would require rezoning and a development permit from Esquimalt, whose official community plan, the same one that speaks of West Bay as a marine hub, says council may consider a building as high as 12 storeys...

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz234MADpCW

Comment:

The push now is to convince council that two ten storey towers casting shade on this amazing natural setting would have such a negative impact that it would ultimately be the demise of this gem known as West Bay...

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz234NfU4C8

#166 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

^ So the new project must a floating building if they are building on the south side of the bay.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#167 aastra

aastra
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

Unless I'm misunderstanding the location for this, shadowing would seem to be an issue only for the houses along Gore Street. But depending on the profiles of the new building(s), it might not be a significant issue even for them.

I sure hope we're not worried about the effect of afternoon shadowing on the marina's parking lot.

Common complaints about new condo buildings:

1) New condo buildings will kill tourism, because tourists hate new condo buildings (tourists come to Victoria to get away from new condo buildings),
2) New condo buildings don't address the housing crunch because new condo buildings are never lived in (they're just used for vacation rentals)

Methinks this project could be a really good thing for that West Bay area, just like Shoal Point was good for the Fisherman's Wharf area. It depends on the format and design of the buildings.

#168 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,159 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

This is the site of an old corner store that VHF was refering to in another post this morning. One of our "pop" stops when riding our bikes around.

The ground floor is going to be a restaurant and the second level will be residential.

#169 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

^ Now that takes going down to bones to a whole new level.

It has a whole new look!

#170 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

Apparently, the owners of the site wanted to build a new building using approximately the same footprint as the original building, but weren't able to obtain a building permit due to modern setback zoning codes. Thus, one wall of the original building was retained and the new building (which due to the preserved wall doesn't actually qualify as a "new" building) will be built around it, in order to bypass the setback codes.

#171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,920 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

...one wall of the original building was retained...in order to bypass the setback codes.

I love when people get creative to outsmart our often arcane zoning regulations.:rtfm:

#172 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,159 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

I saw that done on Old West Saanich Road a few years back...it was classified as a renovation. One small wall was left standing.

#173 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

Overzealous setbacks are the worst.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#174 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

Is there a thread anywhere on the townhomes being put in on Cedar Hill Road / Shelbourne (property fronts both), I believe about six homes were demolished for it, then they had GeoThermal in to do whatever prep they do for that, and now they are quite far along in the actual building of the townhomes. Any info or web site or ...? It is just north of the light at Shelbourne and Blair.

#175 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

I don't think there is a thread for that, and I'm sorry but I don't remember the name of that development.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#176 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

^Yes, it's a big project for the area. Immediately north of the Canadian Tire parking lot on Cedar Hill, it joins up with the properties facing Shelbourne.

The applicants stated:

The proposed townhouse blocks facing Cedar Hill Road are two storeys in front and three storeys on the slope in the rear with garages underneath and terraces facing the street; the interior townhouse blocks are two storeys; a central driveway from Cedar Hill Road leads into the development; permeable paving is proposed throughout.

A harmonious design is proposed for both of the applicant’s properties (Cedar Hill Road and Shelbourne Street) with a modern, West Coast, residential feel incorporating cedar siding, smoked glass, hardipanel and two storey glass elements - the same design elements used in the partner apartment building.
D. LeFrank left the meeting at 5:20 pm.

The existing streetscape on this section of Cedar Hill Road is aging and dated, needing rejuvenation; this development will bring curb and gutter, a 2 metre wide sidewalk and a grass and treed boulevard.

The proposed public pathway south of the Shelbourne Street apartment building will continue along the south of the townhouse project to Cedar Hill Road; access to each site is planned from the path.

A variety of trees will be planted within the site, with fruit trees proposed on the north.

A central plaza area between the interior townhouse blocks, with a pergola and seating, is intended to connect to the Shelbourne Street development’s plaza.
Advisory Design Panel Minutes Page 4 of 4
November 17, 2010

A stormwater management area is planned which will collect all the stormwater on site; a raingarden will not be necessary.
Comments from the Panel:

Good materials and landscaping.

Not all of the townhome development is accessible.

This project reflects the best of Shelbourne Street.

The connection between the Cedar Hill Road and the Shelbourne Street sites should be formalized in the plans.

Trees could be added between the apartment building and the townhome on the south side.

The design of the homes dropping down from Cedar Hill Road is attractive.

It is a great project; the townhouses have been designed with care.

The joins between the flat roofs and exterior walls should be considered with regard to preventing rain problems over the long term.
MOTION: MOVED by S. McGhee and Seconded by C. Rupp: “That the design of the proposed project at 4001, 4009 and 4017 Cedar Hill Road be accepted.”
CARRIED

http://www.saanich.c...ov17minutes.pdf
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#177 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

I was surprised to see this almost fully built today:

Tyndall Village Townhomes

Never heard of it!

It has a whole new look!

#178 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,159 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Rutledge Park bulldozed the last old house on Friday and set up a toilet.

#179 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Ran into this project next to Rudd Park off Boleskine yesterday.

City Park - Abstract Developments Inc. Building Victoria's Finest Homes

Prices are a little high but it is close to Uptown and the buses downtown...

It has a whole new look!

#180 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

^ townhouses are so close together and some are built with "flex suites"...Whittier is getting extra density but the designs seem to be craming in a little too much...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users