#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

http://www.facebook....?gid=5352118531

Winona Waldron wants to be your voice on Victoria City Council
Type: Common Interest - Politics
Description: The City of Victoria will hold the next municipal election on November 15th, 2008. With your support, I would like to run for the Office of Councillor.

Recently I appeared at a City Council Meeting and thought, “Who is representing me here?” If you also feel you lack representation on City Council, I urge you to support me.

I have been a resident of the City of Victoria for 15 years.
I have a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from the University of Victoria.
I worked in tourism in Victoria for almost 10 years and understand what a vital part of our economy tourism represents.
I own a heritage house and am concerned with the historical significance of the City.
I understand what the jobs generated by the rapid growth of the City mean to young families like mine and I want to ensure that these jobs continue.
I have two young children who will be attending public school in Victoria. This City and my yard should be safe for them.

If you’ve never voted in a municipal election, here is your chance for a voice on City Council.

#2 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

Interesting. Her group already has 104 members, including Denise Savoie.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

That's crazy fence lady.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:39 AM

I thought the name rang a bell, but couldn't place it.

Love this bit from the article you referenced:

Coun. Geoff Young supported the order to remove the fence but said he was frustrated with how the city selectively enforces its bylaws, giving out parking tickets and ordering too-tall fences to be shortened while drug users openly used illegal substances without consequence.

"It is making a mockery of our public standards," Young said.

http://www.canada.co...6d90e3d&k=31189

Young has it exactly right.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

Young is right about a lot of things.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:22 AM

Businessman Reid may run for council
Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, February 23, 2008

Well-known Victoria business owner and athlete Rob Reid is considering running for Victoria city council.

Reid showed up at a committee of the whole meeting

this week "to see how things work."

The owner of Frontrunners and New Balance athletic gear stores said he is testing the waters on whether to run for council in the fall, but said it's too early to say where his name might be on the ballot.

"Any decision would have to be a family decision.

"I would like the business community to be represented at City Hall. We don't have a vote," Reid said.

Meanwhile, Victoria Coun. Dean Fortin has narrowed his options by saying he will only run as mayor, or not at all.

"For me, it is either step up or step away," Fortin said yesterday.

Fortin has been widely rumoured to want the mayor's job after Mayor Alan Lowe announced he would not be seeking re-election.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Seems like a good fit to me. I can't believe there isn't someone on council representing local businesses.

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

Rob is a great guy but he is way out of his depth with this. I think that Rob can best contribute to the community doing the volunteer and support work that he currently does with Frontrunners and on his own.

I don't think he has a clue what he would be getting into and the polarization that exists on Victoria council.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

^ Maybe that would be a good thing?

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

I think a good way to bust up a dysfunctional political situation is to insert thoughtful, apolitical people right into the middle of it.

#10 integracious

integracious
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

For sure there is no doubt that Rob is actively involved in community both here and in the westshore. I for one would like to see him run for municipal office in Langford where he has one of his businesses. Perhaps he could bring some sanity to the endless urban sprawl there. Hey maybe he would run for mayor!

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

I think he would be a good candidate - and his lack of prior political background is in my opinion a plus. He's got a lot of goodwill behind him, and he appears open to listening to the voice not just of business but of various groups that have come out of the community too. I'd love to have him introduce himself on VV.

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

Reid would have made a great Councilor but unfortunately has said he won't be running and instead will help the Terry Fox Foundation for the next few months.

#13 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:21 PM

Too bad!

#14 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:40 PM

Everyone is keeping mum....

There's an article in Monday Mag about the upcoming non-event: municipal elections. This has been bugging me for a while now -- how come there's so little buzz around who is running?

Is it because no one is running?

It's an election year, damn it, by Jason Youmans. It's a really good article -- click through to read.

One of the basic points? "It's an election year, damn it," and no one says they're running. How come?

And what do we do about the power of incumbency, eh?

#15 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

Carolyn Heiman reports in today's T-C that:

Former councillor will seek re-election
Other local politicians keeping options open

Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, May 10, 2008

Municipal elections are six months away, and while most politicians are keeping their cards close to their chests, one former Victoria city councillor has announced she wants to return to the table.

Pieta VanDyke served on Victoria city council from 1987 to 1990 but stepped aside to meet family and work commitments.

VanDyke, who is secretary of the James Bay Neighbourhood Association and has remained active in civic issues most recently as an advisory planning committee member, thinks it's time for a change on council. "I will be running now because Victoria is too important for a continuation of the lacklustre decision-making that we have seen from this current council," she said. [click through for more.]

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

Roxy owner to run for Victoria council
Published: Sunday, June 01, 2008

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

Seems like he might have some potential. Anyone know anything more about his views?

#18 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

What's Ben Isitt's story this time around?

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

With Dean Fortin most likely running for Mayor I would suggest to Ben that he stay out of it.

#20 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

Roxy owner to run for Victoria council
Published: Sunday, June 01, 2008

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that the entire canada.com network seems to be down, or is that just my particular spot of the internets?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users