Photo

Another 2008 candidate

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

I haven't been able to read it. I'm curious too!

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that the entire canada.com network seems to be down, or is that just my particular spot of the internets?

...the TC was down for me most of the day, my Nat. Post was OK.

#23 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

Just in case it poofs again...

Roxy owner to run for Victoria council

Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist

Published: Sunday, June 01, 2008
Michael Sharpe, a former real estate developer and owner of the Roxy Classic Theatre, says his name will be on the ballot next November when Victorians choose their next council.
The 35-year-old father says he's running for a council seat because of worries the city is losing its appeal to young families and retirees. "I don't see the city being a fun, safe, healthy, affordable place for my parents to get old in and for my daughter to grow up here."
Sharpe says the city's downtown is dying while all the family entertainment spots are in other municipalities.

Several years ago, Sharpe gave the city a report urging tougher rules for owners of derelict buildings but "that's fallen on deaf ears. The city is hiding behind the Community Charter [which limits the scope of what the city can do against owners who don't develop their properties]. Instead they should be grabbing the bull by the horns and lobbying the provincial government for changes."
Elections for councillors and mayors throughout B.C. are five months away and to date few people have publicly declared their intentions to run. Mayor Alan Lowe said he won't seek re-election in Victoria, and while rumours abound, no one has formally stated they will seek the mayor's chair.
Earlier this week Dale Gann, vice president of Vancouver Island Technology Park, squashed widely circulated reports he was considering taking a shot at the top city job.
"After much soul-searching, I came to the conclusion that while I had the sincere desire to serve the community, the timing is not right for me and my young family, and I will not be a candidate for mayor of Victoria," Gann wrote in an email distributed to supporters encouraging him to run.
cheiman@tc.canwest.com

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

SO who wants to gethim on VV for some questions? :)

#25 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Everyone is keeping mum....

There's an article in Monday Mag about the upcoming non-event: municipal elections. This has been bugging me for a while now -- how come there's so little buzz around who is running?

Is it because no one is running?

It's an election year, damn it, by Jason Youmans. It's a really good article -- click through to read.

One of the basic points? "It's an election year, damn it," and no one says they're running. How come?

And what do we do about the power of incumbency, eh?

It is very difficult to unseat an incumbent in a municipal election. Last stats I saw were that incumbents won about 95% of the time. Very low voter turnout coupled with the name recognition factor usually carry the day.

In Victoria I think that social problems and the historic friction between left and right on council are keeping away the business candidates. The rest are playing wait and see before they jump into the fray. I would expect 4-5 candidates for mayor by the time November roles around.

Generally speaking, local politics are a crappy job. You wind up dealing with the 1% of the fringe 90% of the time and the pay is lousy. Most people who run have either an agenda they are trying to pursue or are too naive to realize what they are getting themselves into!

#26 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

and the pay is lousy.

Yeah, this always bugs me. People get in a huff when politicians vote themselves pay raises, however, I for one would expect higher salaries would do more to attract competent folks who are willing to devote some time to the job and are not as susceptible to being "influenced". Its a really important job and should be compensated as such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users