amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:16 AM

Empress Hotel on a tear for 100th birthday

Spending $1 million to renew tea lobby, ballroom and lighting

Andrew A. Duffy, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Fairmont Empress Hotel will spend almost $1 million this month, almost a quarter of that on a new floor for its tea lobby, as the venerable hotel spruces itself up for its 100th anniversary.

The hotel, which turns 100 years on Jan. 20, is undergoing a six-week renovation that will see the tea lobby and ballroom redone and new lighting added on the outside of the historic building.

"We're spiffing it up for the centennial," said general manager Roger Soane.

<snip>

http://www.canada.co...86d0c273&k=6403

#2 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

Wow, sounds pretty minor considering they did a $4 million reno over 40 years ago and then 18 years ago they did another reno that cost $45 million.

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

longish article on the Empress, with some stuff on the renovation:

Fairmont Empress Hotel 100 years old, and still Victoria's favourite cup of tea
Dirk Meissner, The Canadian Press
January 19, 2008 - 1:48 p.m.
VICTORIA - The winds blow up top at the widow's walk, a rectangular look-out point on the roof of Victoria's Fairmont Empress Hotel.

The tiny, fenced-off widow's walk provides an unobstructed 360-degree view of downtown Victoria and the Pacific ocean that surrounds the city.

It was built to provide an early warning of potential enemy ships approaching Victoria, says Paul Jeffery, the facility operations manager at the Empress, which is celebrating its centennial .

<snip>

http://www.canadianb...ontent=b011908A

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

The winds blow up top at the widow's walk, a rectangular look-out point on the roof of Victoria's Fairmont Empress Hotel.
The tiny, fenced-off widow's walk provides an unobstructed 360-degree view of downtown Victoria and the Pacific ocean that surrounds the city.
It was built to provide an early warning of potential enemy ships approaching Victoria, says Paul Jeffery, the facility operations manager at the Empress, which is celebrating its centennial .

The view of downtown and the ocean from there isn't really "unobstructed," of course. The peak of the Humboldt Street wing is taller than the roof on which the walk is situated, and the Empress is also in a low spot as compared to the taller buildings behind it and also along Douglas Street (downtown and in James Bay). I'm sure there's a great 360 degree view from there but my point is that the walk on the roof of the old wing certainly isn't towering over the city or anything like that.

Early warning? Was that tongue-in-cheek? If the military emplacements along the coast hadn't detected these hypothetical enemy ships by the time a hypothetical observer on top of the hotel had detected them, methinks the hypothetical battle would have already been lost.

(I presume the "potential enemy" was Imperial Russia, but if my history is correct, the Japanese victory over Russia in 1905 rendered Russia's Pacific navy impotent, in which case the lookout atop the Empress was obsolete before the first wing of the hotel was completed -- if the lookout was indeed expected to have strategic value.)

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:25 AM

Interestingly, the long-rumoured Empress expansion was briefly touched upon at last week's CrystalView discussion at Council.

When it was mentioned that a potential Empress expansion would block the Crystal Court redevelopment from being seen from the Harbour, one Councillor remarked that one bad development blocking another bad development is not good planning.

I found this criticism interesting because all previous Empress expansions, including the most recent one have been met favourably.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

So this councillor has already made up his/her mind about the Empress expansion prior to (presumably) being presented with definitive plans?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

...one Councillor remarked that one bad development blocking another bad development is not good planning.

Here's a radical idea: demand good developments.

But I suppose carrying on like children is a lot more fun.

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:49 AM

It's also not good planning to tar all new developments as bad, regardless of what the developments in question happen to look like.

#9 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

But I suppose carrying on like children is a lot more fun.

Lol, that's a bulls-eye!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

IMG_4351.jpg

• Gary H and Dr. Barillas like this

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

Nearly 500 staff at the Fairmont Empress hotel are set to strike Thursday over what they say is growing frustration with working conditions related to the recent renovation of the hotel.

Shields said the union — Unifor Local 4276 — served the company management with a 72-hour strike notice this morning. 
He said the issue stems in part from renovated rooms having more elements like glass surfaces and mirrors to clean. To meet Fairmont standards this is taking extra time. The company can mandate overtime to staff so they are forced to stay to keep their jobs, he said.
“While the renovations are beautiful, they are creating health and safety issues for staff,” Shields said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.8X6ludVU.dpuf 

• todd likes this

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:11 AM

I suppose Empress management could hire more staff and then reduce everyone's hours to 3 days a week with no overtime needed.

They should also get rid of all those mirrors to clean, as that is real back breaking work.

#13 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

I liked the part about the union being upset because managers are topping up coffee and clearing busy tables.

• Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

#14 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:14 AM

I liked the part about the union being upset because managers are topping up coffee and clearing busy tables.

I would be upset if, on an ongoing basis, my management staff was wasting their time doing such work. Shouldn't managers be doing, you know, managing?

Occasionally lending a hand is one thing but chronic understaffing is indicative of poor management.

• http likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

Or it could be indicative of difficulty finding enough qualified, motivated workers, perhaps. I'm sure management is not thrilled to be topping up coffee but as a customer I don't care who does what, just do it and make my experience memorable.
  • Matt R. and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:32 AM

Or it could be indicative of difficulty finding enough qualified, motivated workers, perhaps. I'm sure management is not thrilled to be topping up coffee but as a customer I don't care who does what, just do it and make my experience memorable.

Sometimes it takes more time to talk about it than doing it, so leading by example can help motivate your staff and bringing around the coffee pot while the workers are trying to look busy is fine with me.

• Mike K. likes this

#17 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

Consider that some of these folks have been there for years, cleaning the same old English grandmother style rooms, and the standard was set that so many rooms could be cleaned in such and such time. Now modernize those rooms, add more details that take more time - such as extra polishing and glass cleaning, etc.  You can't expect them to do the extra work - or at least a good quality job - in the same amount it took to do a room with less detailing. This seems to be a theme in many fields of work these days - expecting workers to do more with less or in the same time as when they didn't have the extra stuff to do. The fault here is the hotel in their scheduling and not hiring more staff. 

• Mike K., http and Mr Cook Street like this

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:05 AM

^The definition of pathetic.

Wouldn't trust the cleanliness of my room.

At this point just tear down that black eye, formerly known as The Empress.

Now even the staff are jumping on the boycott.

Edited by todd, 30 August 2016 - 08:08 AM.

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

I have had the pleasure to eat at some of the most remarkable restaurants in the world and you know what, management often drops by the table and tops up my water or coffee or asks if I want another drink. It is called outstanding customer service and most reasonably wait staff would realize that by management elevating the customer experience there will be bigger tips and more repeat business.

#20 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

I have had the pleasure to eat at some of the most remarkable restaurants in the world and you know what, management often drops by the table and tops up my water or coffee or asks if I want another drink. It is called outstanding customer service and most reasonably wait staff would realize that by management elevating the customer experience there will be bigger tips and more repeat business.

Okay, I'm guessing those managers didn't complain to the local media after the fact?

Excuse me Mr. Bosa, can I top up your bank account for you there?

Edited by todd, 30 August 2016 - 08:25 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users