BUILT
601 Herald
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 601 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
601 Herald Street is a five storey, 27 loft-style unit woodframe condo with ground floor retail situated at He... (view full profile)
Learn more about 601 Herald on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 601 Herald | Condos| 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#181 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

I knew it looked familiar! I mean.. err... Well anyways I give this building so far a 7 which is kind of disappointing for me to say... Hopefully as it finishes I can raise that to an 8.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#182 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

I saw you snapping this shot, but I don't know who you are....

The Lung Kong Kung Shaw building is having some cosmetic work done to it. I think the roofline is under repair. The back of the building was finished by the developers of 601 Herald to improve the view for their new tenants.

#183 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

I saw you snapping this shot, but I don't know who you are....

Caught .....red handed... :)

#184 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

[quote name='hotdoglegz']I saw you snapping this shot, but I don't know who you are....

I took the same picture ~8am Tuesday(?), but it was with my work blackberry, so the quality wasn't post-worthy..

I think if thin black trim were added to the vertical portions of the residential level windows it would help.

#185 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

It could have been a lot worse. IMO its not as good as the bay window design but its decent overall. A few years of wind and rain and the brick will mellow out. Beige casings can be changed, I would prefer black.

#186 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

It blends in. Doesn't make a statement or standout. It's plain and uninteresting.
Exactly what our council thrives on.

#187 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

It blends in. Doesn't make a statement or standout. It's plain and uninteresting...

I don't think that is a fair statement. I think "601" got the design right for this location. I am the first one to berate Council for ther general lack of vision and excessive conservatism when it comes to approving new buildings in the downtown core, but in this case I think they got it right. Also, the finish detail has been done very well, beige window casings nothwithstanding.

#188 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Bay windows or even balconies would have been nice.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#189 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

Looks pretty good to me. The ground floor seems a bit short and dark window frames would have been better, I agree. But it still looks like a pretty good fit for the area.

In my ideal word the brickwork wouldn't have extended right down to the sidewalk. But I can live with it. Some old buildings are like that so my personal preference is my only grounds for complaint.

So are those little windows the only windows that actually open? If I was planning to live there I think I'd have a tough time with that.

#190 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

I tend not to be happy with "pretty good".

#191 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

You must be unhappy a lot.

I like it because it looks less faux than this other building by the same developer:
http://maps.google.c...303.13,,0,-3.28

#192 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Bay windows or even balconies would have been nice.

The balconies are not attached yet, nor are the awnings. I'd not worry too much about the window trim until the rest of the trim is installed.

#193 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

There won't be balconies, just metal things hanging off the side. Can't even be called planters because there is no way to access them.

#194 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

I find it discouraging how council seems to be shaping our perception (including mine) of what is acceptable in this city. Have we all gotten that desperate point where we should just be happy with this design; one that designed never to be noticed?
Here's my take on the situation: We get slim pickings at best from council, therefore when something somewhat passable such as this project comes to reality we are all very happy because at least it's something, and it's not offensive.

I agree that his building is OK and I would be proud as the builder. My gripe is that developers feel they must conform to the city's camouflage in order to exist.

No developer is its right mind would waste time and money in proposing something bold and distinct in this town. Pushing the envelope is not only risky here, it is darn right fatal.

#195 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

But what sort of wow factor are you expecting a small building in the old town to deliver? You could build a brand new Adelphi Building or a brand new Temple Building (spend a fortune, in other words) and I still doubt that you'd blow very many people away. People would look at your fancy building and say it was pretty good. Next.

I think with these small infill buildings in the old town that it's less about the individual buildings and more about how all of the pieces fit into place. As long as a new little building gets the fundamental things right, and as long as it doesn't look exactly the same as every other new little building, then maybe we shouldn't get too hung up on over-analyzing it.

I love to over-analyze, don't get me wrong, but this is how I've been feeling lately about these sorts of really small projects. The one that didn't happen on Fort Street, for example. The folks in charge said it wasn't right, that it wasn't good enough. Again, I have to wonder what it is that we're really expecting from these smaller projects.

#196 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

^ Actually I think that the original design was better. If remember correctly. My only real gripe is with the colour of the frames the rest is pretty good.

It has a whole new look!

#197 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

Compare for yourself:

It has a whole new look!

#198 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

No developer is its right mind would waste time and money in proposing something bold and distinct in this town. Pushing the envelope is not only risky here, it is darn right fatal.

On that point I must agree with you gumgum. Evidence: the pyramid proposal for the Admiral's Inn site. Pam must have been birthing puppies over that one.

#199 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

The bay windows turned out to be really faux looking on the Vancouver building so I'm actually glad that they didn't happen on Herald Street.

#200 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:04 AM

I'm looking forward to Kunju immediately to the east of of this project. 601 has the faux heritage thing going and Kunju will dish up some modernism.

Now if only someone were to do something with that horrid Fountain Tire location immediately across the street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users