Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Is it Hartland landfill?

YES!  Good call, I never would have thought.  But I have maybe never been up there in 20 years.  See sculptured shrubs on right:  http://goo.gl/maps/oT1sN

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Edited.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Read the post above yours Mike.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

Holy smokes, I didn't see those posts.

Nice work.

Just goes to show how good the staging crew is. They can find just about anything from whatever is available locally.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

I'm not sure if using the entrance to the dump as the Canadian border station is clever or cruel. 

• lanforod likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#67 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

It's in very limited release, was not released here.  4 LA theatres had it, not sure where else.

So I guess the only way for Victorians to watch a movie shot in Victoria is to pirate it?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Some of these films don't even make it to DVD despite getting positive reviews.

Know it all.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

Some of these films don't even make it to DVD despite getting positive reviews.

Ya, it's a crap shoot for sure.  Canada gets left out of a lot of stuff (streaming, pay-per-view, digital music etc.) due to rights issues.  We are too small to bother negotiating rights to US stuff.  Not sure how else to watch this movie here.

One recent movie by the same distributor, Well Go USA, made a whopping $5,948 at theatres in its one week of release.  Ouch.

It had very poor reviews too:  http://www.rottentom...m/cavemen_2013/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#70 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

So I guess the only way for Victorians to watch a movie shot in Victoria is to pirate it?

Half the fun of watching movies filmed here is spotting familiar locations. Kid Cannabis, which opens today in Los Angeles, New York and Toronto and debuts as a new Video-on-Demand release on iTunes and through Rogers and Shaw, has plenty, including the former Monty’s strip club, Roadhouse Pub and Smith Bros. Foundry and Machine Works. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.DUJVDjiw.dpuf

#71 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Slight change of topic here, but the whole British Pathe Archive has been digitised and posted on Youtube

https://www.youtube....er/britishpathe

Some amazing footage

• sebberry likes this

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Ya, it's a crap shoot for sure.  Canada gets left out of a lot of stuff (streaming, pay-per-view, digital music etc.) due to rights issues.  We are too small to bother negotiating rights to US stuff.  Not sure how else to watch this movie here.

One recent movie by the same distributor, Well Go USA, made a whopping $5,948 at theatres in its one week of release.  Ouch.

It had very poor reviews too:  http://www.rottentom...m/cavemen_2013/

Kid Cannabis made $5,565 so far.  Although this says it was only in 1 theatre, but I saw listings for it in at least three LA area theatres, hmmmmm.

http://secure.boxoff...kidcannabis.htm

#73 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

^Speaking of that, why does the movie biz track popularity by box office gross? It's such a strange measurement compared to straight-up attendance.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#74 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Slight change of topic here, but the whole British Pathe Archive has been digitised and posted on Youtube

My favourite so far is the colour Rolling Stones concert footage from 1965. Sadly, very little Victoria content that I could find apart from that Undersea Gardens outtake.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

^Speaking of that, why does the movie biz track popularity by box office gross? It's such a strange measurement compared to straight-up attendance.

I guess.  But they do adjust for inflation in some lists, so you can see a more real track than simply gross.

Adjusted for inflation...

http://secure.boxoff...me/adjusted.htm

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Year^ 1 Gone with the Wind MGM $1,608,275,200 $198,676,459 1939^ 2 Star Wars Fox $1,417,832,000 $460,998,007 1977^ 3 The Sound of Music Fox $1,133,626,400 $158,671,368 1965

#76 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

Kid Cannabis made $5,565 so far.  Although this says it was only in 1 theatre, but I saw listings for it in at least three LA area theatres, hmmmmm.

If you're going to release a stoner movie on April 20 weekend, then you have to give the snacks away for free.  They could have made a million on this, easy. 

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

Here's the Rolling Stone article that grew into the Kid Cannabis movie.  It reads exactly like the movie.

#78 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

What was the inflation rate from 1940 - 1978? The gross for Pinocchio was $84,xxx,xxx and Every Which Way But Loose was $85,xxx,xxx yet Pinocchio was #39 and Every Which Way But Loose was #196? 

I like numbers.

Wise Victoria Mortgages - Offering honest & reliable mortgage advice to Victorians.

www.wisevictoria.com - 225 Dundas Street at the corner of Bay and Catherine - 250 388 9473

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

Well, that's it, it made less than $6,000.  I guess it's off to DVD if they are lucky.

#80 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

Well, that's it, it made less than $6,000.  I guess it's off to DVD if they are lucky.

I don't feel so bad about buying it on iTunes then. 

On another note, IMAX Victoria is closed for a projector/screen upgrade. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users