Movie theatres & movie filming in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

I don't feel so bad about buying it on iTunes then. 

On another note, IMAX Victoria is closed for a projector/screen upgrade. 

Yes, only one theatre working this weekend downtown.  Pierre should be busy.  Oh, and the Vic.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

I emailed IMAX to see what they do with their old screen.  I want a piece of it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#83 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

I want the projector the size of a small car that pulls 400 miles of film....blah, blah blah.

#84 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Nah, they can keep the projector ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#85 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

I don't think they are getting rid of the film projector anyway, they are just adding a digital projector.

• sebberry likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

A big article in today's TC about Corey Large and Kid Cannabis.  It opens tonight at the Vic.  There is a lot of the word "success" being thrown out about the movie, no mention of it losing hundreds of thousands of dollars of someone's money since it was a commercial failure and only earned $6,000 in theatres.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Completing a movie must be some sort of success right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

A big article in today's TC about Corey Large and Kid Cannabis.  It opens tonight at the Vic.  There is a lot of the word "success" being thrown out about the movie, no mention of it losing hundreds of thousands of dollars of someone's money since it was a commercial failure and only earned $6,000 in theatres.

Maybe a success relatively speaking for Victoria? :P

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#89 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

You do realize that theatrical gross has nothing to do with a film's profitability these days right? You can't just look up a movie and go "oh it grossed this much in theatres, must be a failure." That's such low level analysis.

Here's a good article on video-on-demand profits:

http://thedissolve.c...demand-profits/

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

You do realize that theatrical gross has nothing to do with a film's profitability these days right? You can't just look up a movie and go "oh it grossed this much in theatres, must be a failure." That's such low level analysis.

Here's a good article on video-on-demand profits:

http://thedissolve.c...demand-profits/

Nothing to do with profitability, that's a bit of an odd statement, considering the article you cite:

We can guess these things, but we can’t really know them with any kind of precision, because they can’t be quantified. And that’s because the money generated by VOD rentals is almost never disclosed. Figuring out what’s successful or unsuccessful on VOD—or the overall viability of the format, period—is like being lost in a wilderness within a wilderness. And the powers-that-be aren’t passing out flashlights. 

So then the article goes on to say:

But until we get the other side of the equation and understand precisely the degree to which viewers are migrating to VOD, any statements about the independent-film business can only be expressed in anecdotes and generalities. Distributors have compelling reasons to keep the numbers under wraps: Hiding failures is appealing, and hiding successes even more so, lest filmmakers seek their own piece of the action. For now, as these tectonic plates shift, all we can do is feel the ground moving under our feet. What we lack is a seismograph.

That article also links to a site that has some stats on VOD:

http://www.filmbuff....ti-screen-gross

Now, only three films listed.  And one does pretty well, 15x its in-theatre take, but it's Keanu Reeves.  If I take 15x the $6000  Kid Cannabis made, I still only come up with under $100,000.  That movie cost a lot more than that to make.  Ron Perlman's salary was likely more than $100k.

#91 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

I'm just saying there's way way more than theatrical gross when you're judging a movie's success as a commercial enterprise. Video-on-demand is just another leg as well. There's streaming service licensing (both domestic and international) as well. The linked viedo-on-demand article was to illustrate that a lot of these things are opaque nowadays.

You can't just go "well I want to see if this was successful, let's look up current domestic theatrical gross on boxofficemojo.com to tell" like it's 1985 or something (not that that website would have existed in 1985, but you get the idea).

Edited by ZGsta, 15 June 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#92 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

*double post*

Edited by ZGsta, 15 June 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Ya, I'm with you.  I'm quite fascinated about the whole movie fund-raising and profits thing.  It's quite a thing.  Many investors are fine with losing money movie after movie, in the hope that they land one big hit, that erases all their previous losses.  It's such a unique industry.  You make a movie, and market it, for some fixed amount, say $50M.  All the cast (some bigger-name cast will have percentage deals) and crew are paid out months, even a year or more before it goes to theatres.    Then you let her rip, there are not really any more costs (maybe a bit more marketing) as it goes out to theatres.  You know in the first weekend or even after Friday night if you are about to become enormously wealthy, or if you have another dog on your hands.

I can't think of many other industries that work this way.  If you open a ball-bearing plant, and develop the perfect ball-bearing you might score big, but competitors will spring up fast and quite frankly, you still have input costs to keep buying steel and paying labour to make your bearings.  Same for a restaurant, a building contractor, whatever.  

#94 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

There was a movie being filmed at the Legislature yesterday. Someone in the crew told me it was a Disney feature film. Anyone know about this?

#95 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

There was a movie being filmed at the Legislature yesterday. Someone in the crew told me it was a Disney feature film. Anyone know about this?

The production is using Ogden point for parking. I was told the Disney film is called "Off the Island". The title often changes by the time it hits the market though.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

The production is using Ogden point for parking. I was told the Disney film is called "Off the Island". The title often changes by the time it hits the market though.

http://www.castingca...original-movie/

Off The Island will tell a heartwarming and imaginative story set in an alternate world where a group of discipline challenged young kids are chosen to participate in an experimental new boarding school where they can learn to better behave in society. 

What kind of wages will the boarding school teachers make?    :banana:

#97 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

I am much more curious about the class size in this "experimental boarding school".

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

What about special needs students in this alternate world? 

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

I'm hearing the protest was actually a scene from the movie.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#100 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

My son is an extra in it tomorrow. On site at 0630, ugh.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users