Movie theatres & movie filming in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

Kid Cannabis made $5,565 so far.  Although this says it was only in 1 theatre, but I saw listings for it in at least three LA area theatres, hmmmmm.

http://secure.boxoff...kidcannabis.htm

And now another Corey Large film has failed to get a distribution deal, and has gone straight to iTunes etc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2548208/

How does this guy continue to lose money on every single movie?  I mean this one has Ron Perlman and Titus Welliver in it, those guys can't come cheap.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

http://www.timescolo...unday-1.1748756

“We’re looking for 150 students to come and volunteer as background from morning to early afternoon,” said associate producer Andrew Holmes.

Prizes, gift cards and refreshments are being offered as enticements to potential background performers who look between the ages of 16 and 22 for a pep rally sequence being filmed at a Saanich high school.

Rob Randall, what's the deal with that, do they not receive any payment other than that mentioned?  I thought extras still received minimum wage.   We give tax break to film productions, then they hire volunteers to work?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#123 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

http://www.timescolo...unday-1.1748756

Rob Randall, what's the deal with that, do they not receive any payment other than that mentioned?  I thought extras still received minimum wage.   We give tax break to film productions, then they hire volunteers to work?

My sole extra work was on a straight-to-DVD ultra-low budget educational documentary for American students studying the revolutionary war. (Five likes and I will post a photo). Actual actors with lines to memorize (like my uncle) were paid a couple hundred bucks for an evening's work and non-actors like me that just had to nod and thump a desk got about $75 I think. Now, if your low-budget production needs a couple hundred people instead of a dozen it's a bit more challenging. Fortunately, teens are easier to wrangle than adults and it doesn't take much to convince them to hang around and goof off around a schoolyard on a Sunday which is probably what they would be doing anyway.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Jill and 3 others like this

#124 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

My sole extra work was on a straight-to-DVD ultra-low budget educational documentary for American students studying the revolutionary war. (Five likes and I will post a photo). Actual actors with lines to memorize (like my uncle) were paid a couple hundred bucks for an evening's work and non-actors like me that just had to nod and thump a desk got about $75 I think. Now, if your low-budget production needs a couple hundred people instead of a dozen it's a bit more challenging. Fortunately, teens are easier to wrangle than adults and it doesn't take much to convince them to hang around and goof off around a schoolyard on a Sunday which is probably what they would be doing anyway.

Was your uncle Tony Randall?

• Matt R. likes this

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

:banana:

#126 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Ha! No, actually he was born Arthur (or Ira) Rosenberg.

208069_5297825739_7674_n.jpg?oh=fbcf6ad6

St. Michael's University dining hall stands in for the Philadelphia State House.

By the way, if you ever need to clear out a buffet table in a hurry, invite two dozen underemployed actors.

Attached Images

• Rob Continental Cong.jpg

• Mike K., Jill, Bingo and 1 other like this

#127 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

Cool...my favourite movie with him was the odd couple.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Tony_Randall

#128 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

10930078_940807362605603_582115862297621

• Nparker likes this

#129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

A new show on History called Alone features 10 men who set out into the wilderness with nothing but 10 provisions and camera gear. Each man is alone, with no crew, no support (food, water, shelter), etc., and the last man standing receives $500,000.

What I didn't realize was this show was filmed right here on Vancouver Island! I caught an episode yesterday and let me tell you, seeing Vancouver Island's wilderness through the eyes of people from all across North America is quite interesting. Six days in, five men have given up and called for rescue, leaving five still vying for the prize.

The fellow who left on day six is ex-military and spends his days training (what I think are) military units in Africa. So he's a tough cookie, a guy who has experienced quite a lot. Anyways, he became so frightened of the deep woods of northern Vancouver Island that literally started going a little crazy.

Anyways, if you've ever camped on Vancouver Island out in the deep woods I'm sure you'll relate to what these guys are going through. Here more info: http://www.history.ca/alone/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#130 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:14 AM

Great show, been watching from Ep.1.

The fellow who left on day six is ex-military and spends his days training (what I think are) military units in Africa. So he's a tough cookie, a guy who has experienced quite a lot. Anyways, he became so frightened of the deep woods of northern Vancouver Island that literally started going a little crazy.

A small correction. He was going crazy because he was drinking seawater mixed with stagnant marsh water which cause hallucinations, stomach cramps and he went without meaningful sleep for over 24 hours.

The best one was the guy who left after one day because he heard bears snuffling around his shelter the first night and he had no gun to cuddle with as was his usual practice.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#131 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

Without watching the show at all, I have to cheer for a guy whose name is Mitch Mitchell.

#132 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

Do those guys have to do anything, go anywhere or make any accomplishments?  I mean, shelter in place does not seem that tough.  All you need is water and a bit of shelter.  Your hunger goes away after 4-5 days.

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

No, they just need to occupy themselves.

What I don't get is why they don't go exploring. The guy who checked out in the last episode was drinking marshy water, but it didn't occur to him that the further upstream you go the less likely there'll be salt content and contaminants in water? I mean that's survival rule #1 right there.

@Tedward, that was his theory, I thought? You could tell he was very much unnerved by the forest (he referred to it as jungle) and once he had some brackish water that was the final straw for him.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#134 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

@Tedward, that was his theory, I thought? You could tell he was very much unnerved by the forest (he referred to it as jungle) and once he had some brackish water that was the final straw for him.

No, he had been drinking the water for a couple of days and he seemed quite comfortable until he started hallucinating flashing lights and strange symbols on the inside of his shelter. :)

And to be fair, the rainforest on the north island coast could be described as a jungle.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#135 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Do those guys have to do anything, go anywhere or make any accomplishments?  I mean, shelter in place does not seem that tough.  All you need is water and a bit of shelter.  Your hunger goes away after 4-5 days.

Watching the show, it kind of becomes obvious that it's actually pretty tough.  They're not in a campsite.  Even getting a fire started with the wet wood on the first night proved quite a challenge (and we saw footage of them starting up fires pretty quick in the clips from their audition videos).

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

I dunno, survival on BC's coast is actually quite easy compared to other parts of the world. There's ample food, ample firewood (even when wet), ample water sources, and temperatures are nowhere near deadly for someone fully clothed and with a sack full of survival items.

I'm actually quite shocked that half of these guys disappear in the first five days. You kidding me? You've got survival gear, you're in the land of plenty, and you walk away within five days? Sheesh.

Even the dude and girl on Naked and Afraid spend 21 days (21!) alone in the wilderness. Yeah, there's two of them, but they're naked and each one has only one survival item.

Know it all.

#137 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

Film crews and gear on Crescent Road east of Foul Bay today.

#138 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

I dunno, survival on BC's coast is actually quite easy compared to other parts of the world. There's ample food, ample firewood (even when wet), ample water sources, and temperatures are nowhere near deadly for someone fully clothed and with a sack full of survival items.

I'm actually quite shocked that half of these guys disappear in the first five days. You kidding me? You've got survival gear, you're in the land of plenty, and you walk away within five days? Sheesh.

Even the dude and girl on Naked and Afraid spend 21 days (21!) alone in the wilderness. Yeah, there's two of them, but they're naked and each one has only one survival item.

Yes but no one in their right mind would drink swamp water to survive.

The Springhill Mine disaster had the guys urinating on bark and sucking on it for survival until they were rescued.

Now that's reality, not this stuff that is all scripted to make it look baaad.

Heck they are probably all tucked into their hotel for the night after steak and lobster on the barby.

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

Yesterday some movie was being filmed in Bastion Square in front of Merrick Architecture, but a duo was standing at the entrance of Bastion Square on Government telling people to turn around. Some were getting visibly upset and peeved at them, while tourists looked around thinking, "now what?" They didn't offer advice, just said, "go around," or "find another way," or "you can wait here for a while." They were standing almost half way down the block, which made the situation even worse. Nice.

I don't like this. What right does a movie set have to turn people away a block from where they're filming? I saw no signs, no ropes, just two people with walkie talkies turning people away, some of whom were trying to get to Rebar just meters away.

The lady in pink and the guy with the glasses were blocking the square. You can see a group of people starting to cluster waiting for them to open the walkway (tourists are told to go down a specific street, and they'll stick to it, so they waited). The tension was palpable.

Bastio-Square-closed-for-movie-set.jpg

Know it all.

#140 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

Why would anyone listen to these people? I would just keep walking on by. 

• Nparker, sebberry, LocalMom and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users