Photo

Victoria Symphony Splash

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#61 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Should we not hold any public events unless the 27 other nearby municipalities agree to contribute funding commensurate with their proportion of the population of Greater Victoria?

#62 Greg

Greg
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Aren't the province and the CRD part of the sponsorship for Splash, like they are most arts activities in Victoria? Isn't this in a sense addressing this issue?

"Government Partners: British Columbia Arts Council, Province of BC, Canadian Heritage, Canada Council for the Arts, CRD, City of Victoria"

/now if someone wants to use the bully pulpit and subtle threats to force cost-sharing for dealing with the homeless population, or drunk students on the weekend, or myriad other problems that land unfairly on the City, that's another topic.

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Should we not hold any public events unless the 27 other nearby municipalities agree to contribute funding commensurate with their proportion of the population of Greater Victoria?

It's worth contemplating. That or amalgamation.

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,574 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Absolutely we should.

Are we one region or are we thirteen independent fiefdoms? We can't be both, but the residents of 12 municipalities seem to think we are ...until it's time for them to assist with a fiscal draw on City of Victoria tax payers.

I have no idea why the City of Victoria even grants $4,500 for this event. Our grant is policing, public safety and the pre- and post-event preparations all which carry a heavy pricetag.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

My guess is that the 50K people who attend the event probably spend several hundred thousand dollars downtown that evening on food, drinks, parking and other goodies. On that basis you can argue that it is worth the City providing a small donation to the event.

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,574 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

40k MAX attend and even that I think is rich. Government Street looked void of life by comparison to previous years.

I don't think we even have enough capacity to serve 20,000 restaurant and bar patrons in the hours leading up to the event. Has anyone ever calculated how many seats there are in central restaurants?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 LJ

LJ
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

^ The solution is not to tax everybody in View Royal.  It's to make it at least partial user-pay in some fashion.  $10-15 for good seats, free for lousy seats.  Sell seating blocks to business.  Simple.

Don't they have grandstand seats that they sell? I was under the impression they did.

If I could reserve a seat for $15 so that I didn't have to show up hours ahead of time to get a "good" spot I would do that.

How much do the buskers earn per day? They ask you to put a minimum of $5 in the hat, I would say about a third of the people do.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:43 AM

Victoria's annual cheap-fest is today!

http://www.victoriab...e-is-some-info/

• Jill likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

Victoria's annual cheap-fest is today!...

LOL! This is so true. I swear if even a moderate $5/person were charged (and that would be a tremendous bargain) the crowds would be cut in half. Victorians are notoriously cheap, especially when it comes to "cultural" events.

#70 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,524 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

Anyone have an idea of what time the Symphony hits the stage?

Edited by sdwright.vic, 02 August 2015 - 01:50 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

what time three Symphony his the stage?

???

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#72 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,524 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

Does the Symphony....
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

Predictive text strikes again!

• sdwright.vic likes this

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

Victoria Symphony Splash
Doug Clement Photography

tbb.jpg

http://www.timescolo...plash-1.2015922

There were 300 volunteers. Although police were on site, volunteers handled the bulk of the security/ audience-relations duties. It was a first for the Victoria Symphony Splash

So, it took 26 years for the police chief to say, "no, we don't need such a heavy police presence, let's step up the volunteers".  26 years of big overtime bills for VicPD, ended with a sensible change.

• Nparker likes this

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:28 AM

Victoria's annual cheap-fest is today!

http://www.victoriab...e-is-some-info/

Nearly 40,000 there last night, take from donations was $35,000.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

https://twitter.com/...052798479822848

CLdKsQyUAAAj64Q.jpg

• sebberry likes this

#77 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

Nearly 40,000 there last night, take from donations was $35,000.

That's pathetic. 

• Mike K., Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#78 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

The wind must have been in the right direction last night - the fireworks were loud here and they seemed to wake up all the seagulls.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

The wind must have been in the right direction last night - the fireworks were loud here and they seemed to wake up all the seagulls.

Ya, was loud at my place too, CSV.  Wind def. a factor.

#80 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

That's pathetic.

99.9% of the people who waited for hours in the blistering sun will never attend an actual symphony performance in comfortable seating despite tickets being as low as $14.
  • Nparker and sebberry like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users