Photo

[Downtown] DoubleTree by Hilton (Executive House Hotel) | 19-storeys | Built in 1965

Hotel

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

The new windows seem to be a bit too dark, don't you think?

http://www.flickr.co...N00/2369684421/

I expect all they're doing is replacing all the rusty, grimy old sliding glass doors and windows. The only reason the lower floors look so dark is because the drapes have been taken off so if you put the drapes back, i'll bet it would look just the same. Conversely, if you took all the drapes out, the whole building would look darker. I expect the biggest difference will be the new paint, but even that won't change it's looks much.

I'm sure one of you shutterbugs (which is probably a misnomer now with digital cameras) can stagger down and get a shot of the Falls and post it on that thread, and while you're at it get a shot of how the Executive House looks these days.

I would but i'm 2500 miles away!

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

Dark beige paint has been applied to the 18th floor overhangs presumably to test the look with the new green tinted glass.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

The building looks awesome. Amazing that if you just make the very changes I have been suggesting on here for years it can sure do you a word of good. Come on Chateau Victoria get in on the improvements!

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

A lot of people were lumping the Executive House in with the new construction down there anyway, so I suppose it's only fitting that it looks the part.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

Now no-one will believe us when we say that highrises have been a part of the Humboldt Valley for nearly one-third of Victoria's existence as a city.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:04 PM

It's too bad these building do not have completion dates like older buildings do.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

JACKSON, Derryck E.

September 13th, 1931 - July 18th, 2009 Only son of Edwin and Hope Jackson, Madronas, Mill Bay, B.C. Predeceased by his parents, and sisters, Barbara MacAulay and Patience Granfield. Derryck leaves his wife of 54 years, Anne; a daughter Andrea (John Phillips) two sons: Sam (Quita) and Reid (Lily): grandchildren: Taren and Logan Phillips, Jesse, Simone and James Jackson and Kai Jackson. During his life, Derryck was active in many construction projects in Vancouver and Victoria. He built several apartment complexes, Executive House Hotel in Victoria, Village Green Inns in Duncan and Vernon, Duncan Financial Centre and others. Most recently he has been instrumental, with his partners, in the development of small hydro electric run-ofriver projects. Fortunate to have lived in excellent health until a sudden encounter with cancer, Derryck loved his time spent playing tennis, fishing and annual upland game shooting in Alberta, all with family and dear friends.

A reception to celebrate Derryck's life will be held at the Victoria Golf Club, 1110 Beach Drive, at 4pm on Thursday July 23rd 2009.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#28 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

Exec House is a good building. Since they cleaned up the exterior it compares just fine to the recent stuff around it. Built in the 60s and it still looks good? That's a good one IMO.

#29 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

It's looking pretty nice these days, better than many new buildings I might say. It's a simple clean timeless design.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

Both the Rohani (Staples tower) and Exec House are some of our finest future heritage buildings.

Know it all.

#31 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

My Uncle lived in Executive House after it first opened. Some of the suites were apartments.

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

What floor?

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

I think it might have been the sixth but I'm not sure. I've seen one, though. It's like a typical large 1960s apartment layout.

#34 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

I think it was fairly high up. I have a feeling to upper floors were apartments. I've only ever referred to it as Executive House.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

So...... this place is becoming a Hyatt, says the word on the street.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

So...... this place is becoming a Hyatt, says the word on the street.

I have to assume that is good news...the Hyatt brand holds a lot more weight with me than "Executive House".

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

It also opens up the hotel to a far greater network of potential guests. Chateau Victoria would be wise to hook up with a national or international chain as well.

Know it all.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Executive House tells us that the Hyatt rumour is just that, rumour, but concedes that the hotel has "other plans in the works" that will be revealed soon.

Know it all.

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

^ Maybe their "other plans" might include removing their sidewalk signs, AKA trip hazards.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Word from an employee says they are closing in mid-October, 40+ layoffs, and no guarantees of call-backs when they re-open in June. We have a call in to the hotel to try to get some dates/more information. It would seem a shame to close the food/bev. until they have to, let's face it, Bart's kinda rocks. The former Barkley's is privately owned now.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users