Alternative Energy Sources

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#401 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 07:20 AM

Yes, no concept of reality in a piece like this. It’s just a press release for all involved. They don’t even define what a “home” means, whether it’s a studio condo or a four bedroom 2.5 floor house.

Sounds like the “average” home perhaps.

#402 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 07:34 AM

What’s an average home? These variables are never defined.

Can we get an expert to weigh in? Maybe the house hunt guy can provide some data?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 07:37 AM

~ 900 kWH per month.

#404 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 07:30 AM

Thanks to the failure of alternative energy promises, Ontario taxpayers are subsidizing $6 billion in electricity costs via the government, because costs are out of reach for so many.

- https://www.cbc.ca/n...rices-1.6780846

The absurdity of it all:

Ford's PCs blame the size of the spending on green energy contracts signed by Liberal governments that locked the province into paying wind- and solar-power producers above-market prices for generating electricity.

The electricity cost-relief budget is now more than the combined budgets of the ministries of economic development, environment, agriculture, northern development, mining, natural resources, forestry, Indigenous affairs and labour, training and skills development.

The Ford government has spent more taxpayer money subsidizing hydro bills than it has spent on long-term care. In the four budgets since 2019, a cumulative total of $23.6 billion has been devoted to electricity cost relief programs, $2 billion more than budgeted for long-term care in the same time period.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#405 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 07:34 AM

The absurd part is the opposition asking the money to be spent on other projects instead of just taxing everyone less.

And the outcry about $600 million going to the top 20%.

#406 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 07:57 AM

Stepping up his pleas for action on fossil fuels, Guterres not only called for "no new coal" but also for eliminating its use in rich countries by 2030 and poor countries by 2040. He urged carbon-free electricity generation in the developed world by 2035, meaning no gas-fired power plants, either.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eport-1.6784346

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 March 2023 - 07:57 AM.

#407 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:33 AM

The Malahat First Nation will take a step toward energy independence this year with the installation of a solar energy system to power its administration facility.

Using a $200,000 grant from the B.C. Indigenous Clean Energy Initiative, the First Nation is undertaking the first of what could be a series of new sustainable energy projects — this one will ensure the power will never go out in its administration building.

https://www.timescol...avement-6798698

#408 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 04:42 AM

Tesla China recently posted a teaser on social media for something called the "Cybervault" that will debut on April 3. According to Teslarati, the Chinese text on the poster reads, "Cyber-enhanced, balancing commuting and traveling; A technological appearance, fully meeting your expectations; This time, our protagonist is ___ ; Only 3 days left until the reveal." All we can say is... WTF?

https://insideevs.co...a-china-teaser/

screenshot-insideevs.com-2023.04.03-08_41_39.png

#409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:46 AM

Is that the new user manual?

Know it all.

#410 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 06:27 PM

New from Tesla today:

Today, we are publishing Master Plan Part 3, which outlines a proposed path to reach a sustainable global energy economy through end-use electrification and sustainable electricity generation and storage. This paper outlines the assumptions, sources and calculations behind that proposal. Input and conversation are welcome.

https://www.tesla.co...ter-plan-part-3

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2023 - 06:28 PM.

#411 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 06:28 PM

Is that the new user manual?

Turned out to be some kind of steel box.

#412 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 07:39 PM

From an anonymous Wisconsin Trooper:

I’m not a fan of all electric vehicles. Too many variables affecting battery consumption. Definitely not suited for cold climates. The following experience just cements my distaste for EV’s, especially Teslas.

I got sent to a motorist assist the other day, at the start of our snowstorm. Tesla on the side of the interstate, dead battery. So, I arrive on scene and the occupants have the right-front door open. They tell me that they can’t open any other doors, because the battery is dead. Sure enough. Can’t open the doors from inside or outside. The driver also can’t get her license out of the glove box where she put it during their trip. Because the glovebox opens electronically… and the battery is dead. You actually have to use the computer in the center of the dash to open the glovebox.

They said they had 10% battery left, should’ve been plenty to get from that location to the charging station nearby. Then all of a sudden, the whole car shut off and they coasted to the shoulder.

So now I have to find them a tow. No one wants to tow EV’s. Finally found one company to do it. 8-mile trip to the charging station in Tomah. $1,000! Normal vehicle on the flatbed would’ve been $150.

So now we’re at the Tesla superchargers. Guess what. Can’t open the f’n charging port because the battery is dead!!! The ports open, you guessed it, electronically! And we also can’t open the doors now (had to close the one open door when it was loaded onto the wrecker). The owner's manual is in the on-board computer, but the battery is dead.

I got the occupants to a store where they’d be warm while calling the rental company to figure out how to charge this POS, so I’m not sure of the outcome. I had to leave for a crash report.

EV’s may be the way, someday, but certainly not today!! I’ll stick with my dinosaur burner.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#413 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 07:46 PM

Lot of holes in that story.

Plus it was a rental. Sounds like driver error.

You can 12v battery “jump start” the control system.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2023 - 07:49 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#414 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 09:45 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.04.09-13_43_51.png

Megapack is designed for utilities and large-scale commercial projects. Our team of experts will help you design a system that meets your project goals and maximizes your site potential.

https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/megapack

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 April 2023 - 09:45 AM.

#415 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 10:19 AM

The name "megapack" makes me loathe it.

#416 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:12 PM

The fact he is building it in China makes me loathe it.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#417 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 01:37 AM

He is also building them in California. You have to be worldwide.

#418 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 01:57 PM

New Law: 50%+ Solar Power Over Parking Lots In France - CleanTechnica

“If half of France’s parking lots are covered by solar panels, they’ll have an installed capacity of between 6.75 gigawatts and 11.25 gigawatts, at a cost of between $8.7 billion and $14.6 billion, according to the official analysis of the legislation,” the Washington Post writes. “France’s 56 nuclear power plants each have a capacity of slightly over 1 gigawatt on average — and the one under construction in Flamanville has ballooned in cost to $14 billion, according to the latest estimate — roughly the same as the entire solar expansion.”

#419 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:00 PM

Aren’t they worried about the nuclear plant going up in Flamanville?

Know it all.

#420 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 03:23 PM

Aren’t they worried about the nuclear plant going up in Flamanville?

I'm sure someone is... Who do you mean by 'They'?  Apparently it's like 10 years behind schedule lol.  Supposed to be $3B when priced in 2004.

Edited by Ismo07, 18 April 2023 - 03:26 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users