• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#361 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:12 AM

COVID was just the warm-up in the NWO long game.

:whyme:

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#362 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,034 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:14 AM

75 years ago Japan went to war over oil. After the war they realized that through free and legal trade they could do quite well without substantial local energy supplies.

#363 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:20 AM

:whyme:

:rtfm:

• Nparker likes this

#364 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:36 AM

75 years ago Japan went to war over oil. After the war they realized that through free and legal trade they could do quite well without substantial local energy supplies.

They are looking at going back to increasing nuclear.  They are short too right now...  It's a little more complicated than 75 years ago.

Japan is Ready to Address the Energy Crisis | Paige Lambermont (independent.org)

Edited by Ismo07, 05 December 2022 - 09:37 AM.

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:38 AM

Yes it is, totally agree...  That article makes light of the Swiss for a very complicated issue.  

It's a Swiss article, the one talking about them believing the chance of energy rations were slim prior to March of 2023.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:59 AM

It's a Swiss article, the one talking about them believing the chance of energy rations were slim prior to March of 2023.

Ah you posted 2 articles  I was referring to the first one...  Yes I think a few countries didn't think the war would has this much effect...  I'm guess he underestimated it as well.  Article is clear however that this is war driven.

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 01:36 PM

They didn’t think Nato supporting Ukraine against Russia, but depending on Russian energy, would have an impact on energy supplies?

It’s been a talked about vulnerability since forever. They just didn’t think windmills and solar panels would suck this much.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#368 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 01:46 PM

Don’t forget it takes a lot of oil to manufacture, ship, maintain and install those windmills.
  • Nparker likes this

#369 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 01:47 PM

They didn’t think Nato supporting Ukraine against Russia, but depending on Russian energy, would have an impact on energy supplies?

It’s been a talked about vulnerability since forever. They just didn’t think windmills and solar panels would suck this much.

Most is hydro, and yeah pretty sure they knew their limitations..  Did you read your article or just the part where they though they were ok?  Pretty specific to them saying they underestimated the impact and no, likely didn't expect Russia to withhold LNG...  Maybe they didn't see the fine print.  Great tactic by Russia I suppose...  They are not ready to rely on wind and solar, it just added to reduce fossil fuels...  Besides the caption under the photo that speaks to this March quote, I can't seem to find it.  Wouldn't mind seeing what was actually said.

#370 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 01:51 PM

Of course Russia would withhold energy. That’s like they’re biggest weapon, and Europe’s single largest weakness.

Trump went on a wild rant when he met with the Germans saying they were playing with fire by not diversifying, remember? The Germans laughed.

Now Euro leadership is finding ways to skirt the elephant in the room and avoid taking responsibility for taking the easy way out, while talking the good talk.

Know it all.

#371 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 02:14 PM

Of course Russia would withhold energy. That’s like they’re biggest weapon, and Europe’s single largest weakness.

Trump went on a wild rant when he met with the Germans saying they were playing with fire by not diversifying, remember? The Germans laughed.

Now Euro leadership is finding ways to skirt the elephant in the room and avoid taking responsibility for taking the easy way out, while talking the good talk.

No I don't , Trump has said many things I'd rather not remember..  Can you find that quote at least?  And I thought you didn't believe in diversifying, you just want coal, oil and gas...  All the others don't do enough.

PS.. Found it..  Trump accused Germany of becoming ‘totally dependent’ on Russian energy at the U.N. The Germans just smirked. - The Washington Post

But can we trust WP on saying what Trump really meant..  Aren't they fake news?

Edited by Ismo07, 05 December 2022 - 02:15 PM.

#372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 02:29 PM

🤡🤡🤡
  • dasmo likes this

Know it all.

#373 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 04:20 PM

"Today, bread at the bakery would have to cost 7 or 8 Swiss francs ($7.38 and $8.43) because of the electricity costs for ovens and refrigerators, but no one would buy that anymore," Roland Rupp, president of the Swiss SME Association, told newspaper 20 Minuten.

The average price for bread in Switzerland is around 5 Swiss francs.

"Many are closing quietly now and there will be many more closures," Rupp added.

According to the association president, this crisis is worse than the pandemic. "Back then, the state still helped us with loans, today it does nothing. Politics has completely failed," he said.

- https://www.aa.com.t...-survey/2752357

5 Swiss Francs is equal to $7.21CAD, for a loaf of bread.

Know it all.

#374 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 04:34 PM

...Back then, the state still helped us with loans, today it does nothing. Politics has completely failed," he said.

I hate to break it to him, but the failure of politics "back then" has fueled the inflation that is exacerbating the current situation.

• dasmo likes this

#375 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 05:04 AM

The UK Government has approved controversial plans for a new coal mine in Cumbria, which will become the first deep coal mine in the UK for more than 30 years.

The decision has been considered by Communities Secretary Michael Gove, who says he is satisfied that there is currently a UK and European market for the coal.

A decision on whether to grant permission for the colliery near Whitehaven was originally due on or before 7 July but has been delayed three times.

https://www.itv.com/...did-we-get-here

screenshot-www.itv.com-2022.12.08-08_04_55.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2022 - 05:05 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#376 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 05:35 AM

US scientists make major breakthrough in ‘limitless, zero-carbon’ fusion energy: report

Scientists have been struggling to harness the fusion reaction that powers the Sun for more than half a century

https://www.foxbusin...n-energy-report

Though developing fusion power stations at scale is still decades away, the breakthrough has significant implications as the world seeks to ween itself off of fossil fuels

Still a chance to get this installed at 930 Pandora.   :teacher: 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2022 - 05:36 AM.

#377 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 05:45 AM

Is this another cold fusion thing where we hear about a bunch of experiments that nobody else can replicate?

Know it all.

#378 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 05:53 AM

Is this another cold fusion thing where we hear about a bunch of experiments that nobody else can replicate?

Tune in for details:

U.S. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm and under-secretary for nuclear security Jill Hruby are expected to formally announce "a major scientific breakthrough" at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory on Tuesday. 

I'm no expert, but I believe this is genuinely believed to be technically possible or possible under the laws of physics.  The problem thus far has been the cost/energy required to make it work.  Produce more energy than the required input.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2022 - 05:54 AM.

#379 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:44 AM

Still “decades” away.

https://amp.cnn.com/...3-22/index.html

Thanks, truckers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 December 2022 - 09:45 AM.

#380 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:03 AM

I also remember when interferon treatments were going to eradicate cancer.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users