• 16,368 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 04:53 PM

:squint:  sarcasm folks..... 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#462 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 23 November 2023 - 12:06 AM

Few years back I had the idea to blanket the south facing slopes of the Rockies with solar panels.

You’d do it above the tree line. The black surface would naturally melt snow. No animals or plant life needs to be up there. The angle is perfect for solar collection.

After I build a 1km deep rock pile in the Saanich inlet that will be my next mega project.

Edited by max.bravo, 23 November 2023 - 12:07 AM.

#463 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,368 posts

Posted 24 November 2023 - 02:49 PM

An interesting visual https://x.com/rainma...QrcObpkhVXe97Jg

#464 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,560 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 10:03 PM

Enfinite, already the biggest player in energy storage in Alberta, is about to flip the switch on 60 more megawatt hours (MWh) of capacity spread over three facilities near Grande Prairie, about 450 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

The new projects – “days away” from coming online – will bring the company’s total energy storage capacity to 180 MWh, chief executive officer Jason White says. They’re among the latest additions in what he sees as a big year for the adoption of energy storage technology, in his province and beyond.

“Everybody in Canada is starting,” he says, while acknowledging such projects don’t materialize overnight. “They’ve obviously been planning for years.”

Enfinite’s utility-scale Tesla “Megapack” lithium ion batteries will add to Canada’s still relatively small capacity for energy storage, estimated by industry group Energy Storage Canada to be less than one gigawatt hour (1,000 MWh) in total across the country. Energy Storage Canada estimates that in order to reach Canada’s climate goals of a net-zero electricity grid by 2035, we’ll need at least eight to 12 times that capacity.

There have been several big announcements in Ontario this year related to plans for expanded energy storage capacity, including a 250 MW project in the works at Six Nations of the Grand River, 100 kilometres southwest of Toronto. That project alone is anticipated to reduce emissions by between 2.2 to 4.1 million tonnes, the equivalent to taking up to 40,000 cars off the road, according to Michelle Chislett, executive vice-president of onshore renewables with Northland Power, the majority owner of the project.

https://www.theglobe...sion-needed-to/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 November 2023 - 10:03 PM.

#465 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:24 AM

Alberta is starting to ask, “who pays for the removal of wind turbines once they hit their life span,” estimated at $1 million per turbine.

It’s a huge issue that hasn’t been addressed fully, yet.

Meanwhile in the US wind projects are being scrapped due to insufficient handouts:

The Danish wind energy developer Ørsted said this week it's scrapping its Ocean Wind I and II projects off southern New Jersey due to problems with supply chains, higher interest rates and a failure to obtain the amount of tax credits the company wanted. Together, the projects were supposed to deliver over 2.2 gigawatts of power.

The news comes after developers in New England canceled power contacts for three projects that would have provided another 3.2 gigawatts of wind power to Massachusetts and Connecticut. They said their projects were no longer financially feasible.

In total, the cancellations equate to nearly one-fifth of President Joe Biden's goal of 30 gigawatts of offshore wind power by 2030.

- https://www.pbs.org/...an-energy-goals

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#466 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:41 AM

Alberta is starting to ask, “who pays for the removal of wind turbines once they hit their life span,” estimated at $1 million per turbine.

It’s a huge issue that hasn’t been addressed fully, yet.

I think it's rarely addressed with these type of projects.  Alberta (and even BC) certainly has the same issue with abandoned oil and gas wells and of course we have other industrial and mine sites all over North America that have the same questions.

This is Morro Bay, California.  (Which I had never heard of before this weekend, it looks like an interesting small town.  Although they should have a sky-tram to the top of that rock, like is planned for Bear Mountain.  Or turn it into a globe thing like that spere in Las Vagas).

20-morro-bay-aerial.jpg

Those three chimneys are at a decommissioned gas>electricity plant.  You can see the transformer yard to the right of it all.

The cost to remove them is significant.  The owner of the property is now asking to install a battery/electricity storage facility there, since it is already served by the electric lines there.

https://www.sfgate.c...nt-18140283.php

‘Frightening’: Citizens group in Morro Bay fights world’s largest lithium battery plant

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 November 2023 - 06:50 AM.

#467 LJ

LJ
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 06:26 AM

Although they should have a sky-tram to the top of that rock, like is planned for Bear Mountain. 

Can you show me this plan?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#468 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,560 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 06:27 AM

Can you show me this plan?

Gondola planned between Mt. Finlayson and Langford's Bear Mountain development

https://victoria.cit...in-development/

• Matt R. likes this

#469 LJ

LJ
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 06:15 AM

Seven years old and nada, some plan.

#470 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,560 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 06:31 AM

Seven years old and nada, some plan.

Gondola permits take time.   :farmer:

#471 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:32 AM

More often, I think they never happen.
Still no gondola up Cheam or up to SFU... those have been 'in the works' for decades. The Cheam one in Bridal Falls is probably dead actually. The SFU one may happen as its government/transit driven but its taking a long time. The Sea to Sky one took at least one false start before it was finally built, more than a decade later.

#472 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:38 AM

I still love the Ogden point to inner harbour gondola idea...

• lanforod likes this

#473 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,560 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:45 AM

I still love the Ogden point to inner harbour gondola idea...

I do too.

The Oswego route would be neat.

screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2023.11.29-11_44_38.png

https://www.timescol...isitors-4602854

#474 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:50 AM

Yeah how cool.. $5 a ride..  would see cruise ship folks use it a ton and locals as well...

• lanforod likes this

#475 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,368 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 09:38 AM

They could just stay on the ship and do a VR tour as they dump
their sewage in the harbour.
  • Matt R. likes this

#476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 11:11 AM

I believe it is jettisoned, not dumped.
  • dasmo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#477 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,368 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:09 PM

Shoot. Jettison would have been a much better word…
  • Matt R. likes this

#478 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:32 PM

I rather like the term "evacuate" to describe how ships dispose of their sewage.

#479 LJ

LJ
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:32 AM

Cruise ships take all their leftover, suitable, food each day and grind it up fine and feed it to the fishes. Win for the fish.

#480 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,560 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 07:41 AM

Power company says it's halting energy storage plan after backlash, death threat

'If you scream the loudest, then you get to make the decisions,' says president

https://www.cbc.ca/n...power-1.7047393

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users