Alternative Energy Sources

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

Hey, I had to ask to. It has been quite some time since I posted a pic but first you have to put it on one of those pic sharing sites, Flickr, Shaw etc.
then take the url code that the pic is given on the site and insert it into the "insert image" box (that is the box on top of the post reply box that looks like a mountain peak and a postage stamp) and then you're basically done. Somebody is sure to correct me if that is wrong.

Imageshack is a quick way to host pix.

#62 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

Imageshack is a quick way to host pix.

Thanks, i will give it a try.

#63 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

Crap, I just can't get the picture to load from imageshack. Sorry everyone. I will talk to a mod offline.

#64 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Crap, I just can't get the picture to load from imageshack. Sorry everyone. I will talk to a mod offline.

Oh look it made it here only too small to be appreciated. Bear with me everyone. This technology is worth learning about.

#65 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

^ Sorta like Stonehenge in 'Spinal Tap'!;)
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#66 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:57 PM

If this picture thing does not work, I will throw in the towel.

You are totally correct. It is like Mad Max meets a vibrator. Who would guess that you could heat a home from 10 feet below the surface of the earth.

The coils are filled with a glycol type substance, run through a heat pump type device that resides in an indoor mechanical room, and the resultant heat is pumped through the floor slab. No oil, very little electricity, apparently you set the desired temperature for each room in October......and you leave it there until spring.

#67 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:47 AM

Sparky - I see you got the pics working. This is intriguing - thanks for posting the pics and info

#68 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:58 AM

Thanks Mat it was a night of strain. It's still too small. I want to learn to be as good as VHF, maybe he will PM me with pro tips.

I am excited about sharing the technology. I do not know anybody else that has done this.

This is going to be worth monitoring.

#69 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

I use Photobucket. The already put the [img] tags below the photograph for you so you just have to cut and paste into any forum.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#70 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:34 AM

Pls post more pics sparky. I'd like to see how the whole
system works.

Ditto for photobucket. It's easy. Go to the site. Click the 'upload' button. It'll ask you if you want to tag it. Skip that if you want. Once that's done you should see a small version of your pic. Under it is a list of text. Next to the one that say 'IMg tags' copy the text and paste it here. Good luck.

#71 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I will take and post more pics. The infloor heating pics are wild. The magic box that will be located in the mechanical room is on order.

#72 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

">

Test from photo bucket. I think I am missing a key point with this photo thing.

#73 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:57 PM

Copy all the text on that line.

#74 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

This picture is of the "slab coils" each room has it's own circuit. Note the two "valve stations" where the relays will be located. These relays will be controlled by low voltage thermostats, so each room can be set at its own temperature.

#75 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

Holy Crap I did it.

#76 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

Thanks gumgum I was trying to insert photos instead of "copy paste" I feel a little hideous but I am going to plow past all that and tell the geothermal story (complete with pictures of course.) This pic puts size into perspective. These "slinky coils" are laid on the ground after 10 feet of soil has been excavated. The 4 rows are in series so there are only 2 pipes from the house. Out and in.

#77 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Wooohooo! Grats! I'm so proud.
:)
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#78 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

This pic is the "solder station" where we needed to keep all the connections dry.

#79 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

This is a good perspective of the in ground installation before we back filled.

Here is a closer detail of the slab coils. Look at me go, two pics in one post. I just threw my training wheels away.

#80 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

Here is one of two valve stations that control about 8 zones each. Basically the buried slinky coils are filled with a glycol like liquid, and so are the slab coils. In between the two is the magical heat pump. I have not seen this piece of equipment as yet but I will keep you posted when arrives. Somehow it grabs the heat out of the ground and sends it to the slab.

I will take a break now and take some questions.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users