• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Very cool ship tracker:

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/

I imagine you could load this with your iPhone or similar while you're at Ogden Point and identify the ships you see in the strait.

You are my VV fav for this little gem HW. *muwha!*

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

Holden, nice work. I'm getting out of the smuggling business.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

An amplitude modulation radio broadcasting company reports:

HARBOUR AUTHORITY MAKING LONG TERM PLAN FOR OGDEN POINT

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=11300

Nov 10, 2009

THE GREATER VICTORIA HARBOUR AUTHORITY HAS HIRED AN INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT TO CREATE A PLAN THAT WILL GUIDE DEVELOPMENT OF OGDEN POINT FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS.

[...]

#44 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

Very cool ship tracker:

I imagine you could load this with your iPhone or similar while you're at Ogden Point and identify the ships you see in the strait.

Wow!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#45 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

I walk along the waterfront almost every day. That would be so cool! And it should be an iphone app!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

I wonder if you can see Somalian pirate vessels disappear in real time, once the Navy starts torpedoing them? But that's not likely as that is one off the first pieces of hardware the pirates disable.

The annual Swiftsure Race committee has been using a similar tracker for a few years.

Originally Posted by Holden West
Very cool ship tracker:

#47 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

Ogden Point strategy launched

U.S. firm hired to produce 20-year plan

BY CARLA WILSON, TIMES COLONISTNOVEMBER 11, 2009

http://www.timescolo...0225/story.html

A Colorado-based firm has been hired to develop a master plan for Ogden Point, where a new financial report said cruise-ship visits led to $71.5 million in direct economic impact in Greater Victoria this year.

[...]

#48 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

...will be able to dock at Ogden point, once the new mooring dolphin is built. A redesign has dropped the original expected cost of $4.5 million to closer to $3 million.

A 70-metre catwalk will run from the end of Pier B to the mooring dolphin. It will be able to accomodate two ships of up to 335 metres at the same time.

This year cruise ships resulted in $71.5 million dollars in direct spending, according to the harbour authority.

see Carla Wilson's report in todays Times Colonist.
http://www.timescolo...5303/story.html

#49 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

Interesting letter by Richard (Dick) Austin, Retired deputy chief, Victoria Fire Department, in today's T-C: Industrial James Bay was much noisier.

As one who was born and raised in James Bay, may I offer a much different picture of the life and sounds that existed in James Bay during the pre-cruise era.
(...)

[Austin's letter details the various 24/7/365 industrial (and noisy) aspects of JB, including the Victoria Machinery Depot (current Canadian Coast Guard base); lumber yards at Ogden Point; Pier B, the grain elevators, B.C. Packers. His last point:]

When one examines how Victoria has changed from the late 1940s to now, the transformation is startling and for the good -- the Victoria harbour was a mess.

That last part speaks to the current Marina debate, too, I suppose.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#50 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

I've made the point before that everybody mourns for the way things were, but there's no way in hell anyone would actually want to go back to the way things were:

#51 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

there's no way in hell anyone would actually want to go back to the way things were

I'd love to go back for a month or two.

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

Well, okay. But to which decade?

If I ever find a magic lamp, one of my wishes will be to go back to 1920 or so. A few weeks in that Victoria with a digital camera would be pretty sweet.

#53 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

Does anyone know why there is a plaque on the western part of Ogden Point? It said something about some project that took place in April but it looks exactly the same as it has for years.
In chains by Keynes

#54 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

Does anyone know why there is a plaque on the western part of Ogden Point? It said something about some project that took place in April but it looks exactly the same as it has for years.

COMMEMORATING 25 YEARS OF
KEEPING THINGS THE WAY THEY WERE

APRIL, 2011

PRESENTED BY THE JAMES BAY RESIDENTS' ASSN.
"I liked it better before"

• SimonH likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#55 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Its probably the landscaping along the eastern edge of the parking lot. This area (sort of next to the cafe) looks a lot better than it did a few years ago. One thing that the JBNA agitated for with the GVHA was beautification of that area - to make for a more pleasant welcome for cruise ship passengers.
Pieta VanDyke

#56 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

^The impression I had was that JBNA would be a lot happier if there were no cruise ships and their attendent noise and traffic.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

Just one more cruise ship left this season, this Wednesday. A pair that were scheduled this last weekend cancelled.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,176 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

Any reasons behind the cancellation?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

Gee, over already? I've barely done any cruse ship watching this year.. guess I should get down there, eh?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Any reasons behind the cancellation?

One was Sat, one was Sun, while two others did dock both days, but I guess it could be weather, but it didn't really get funky until Monday.

See here: http://victoriacruis...cruise-schedule
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users