Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1460 replies to this topic

#1 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

I love the museum. In my opinion it's not promoted enough. Travel reviews are typically glowing...people often admit they were caught off guard by how good it is, as if they were just expecting an hour's diversion or something like that.

I don't think it's promoted nearly enough. It should have a national (if not international) reputation, and yet it doesn't.

Anyway, they have a temporary "science centre" thing going on right now. I think they should incorporate some permanent interactive scientific stuff.

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/visit/speed-fore/index.html

Is there still space to expand on the back side of the museum, where the courtyard/entrance to the Newcombe Theatre used to be?

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Good call bringing this up in a topic!!! Wow. Amazing no one has started this yet.

I too love the museum. I love the Mammoth.

We should get a bunch of people of V.V. and go on a tour of the Museum.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:48 PM

I remember the Newcombe auditorium. I saw a couple of concerts there. I think it's just office space now so I would say there is plenty of room for expansion.

And yes, this is one institution that truly deserves the phrase "world class". I just wish it was free again.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

By 2007 ground will break for a new RBCM expansion out to the court yard in the back.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:30 AM

Excellent!

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:45 AM

I admit I haven't been there in years. I remember the 20th Century exhibit with objects from every decade (except the 80s and 90s). Did they ever update this?

Let's go later in the year and see if we can get a group rate. I'd like to see it again.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:50 AM

Sounds like fun! Perhaps we can put a Land Use Application sign for 25 storey building in the old town section.

Great to hear they are planning a new extension. What will happen to the public art in that square? I have always sort of felt sorry for its location.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Entry into the Royal B.C. Museum is by donation until the 9th of January. If you haven't had the chance to visit the museum in a while now is definitely a good time to do so.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,784 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

Yup was there this am.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Entry into the Royal B.C. Museum is by donation until the 9th of January. If you haven't had the chance to visit the museum in a while now is definitely a good time to do so.

Thanks for bringing this up, Mike. I put the article in the tourism thread, I think, couldn't find this thread among all the cobwebs. ;)

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

^Good idea, VHF.

Royal B.C. Museum celebrates the New Year with admission by donation event
By VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=1668

The Royal B.C. Museum (RBCM) is celebrating the New Year with an admission by donation event between Saturday, January 2nd and Saturday, January 9th 2010.

In addition to the permanent displays, the museum is currently exhibiting Coast Salish First Nations sculpture, basketry, weaving and contemporary artworks (S’adadeb: The Gifts), and Silver of the Stars, a silverworks collection by 10 celebrities. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

A reminder that this event is almost over.

We will be hearing more from the museum in the coming months. They are outgrowing their premises and there will likely be profound changes in the physical layout of the site over the next few years.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

A reminder that this event is almost over.

We will be hearing more from the museum in the coming months. They are outgrowing their premises and there will likely be profound changes in the physical layout of the site over the next few years.

...and with genome mapping and cloning etc. soon they will be able to have a real wooly mammoth outside, like in a zoo setting, so that'll clear out space.

#14 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

I used to take my son there when we had free admission. When he was three-years-old he sang along to the First Nations music.

#15 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

I'm going tomorrow.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

I haven't been in at least 14 years.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

People should consider getting an annual pass. It's cheap and great for those rainy winter days.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

It's $59 per head per year, or a two person non interchangeable "family pass" for $99. Admission for special displays is in addition to the pass.

Know it all.

#19 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:53 PM

Amazing as it may seem, until just a few years ago, the entire RBCM site was still divided into individual lots. Lot consolidation was done but the site (and the Legislature site) is still under the generic R-2 zone which is common single family dwelling zoning but also allows apartments and "public buildings".

We will likely see a rezoning application this year that will give the museum more flexibility in future planning. It's already acknowledged that the Fannin Tower (the highrise housing the Provincial Archives) is aging and crowded.

A major redevelopment may be in the works.

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

Amazing as it may seem, until just a few years ago, the entire RBCM site was still divided into individual lots. Lot consolidation was done but the site (and the Legislature site) is still under the generic R-2 zone which is common single family dwelling zoning but also allows apartments and "public buildings".

We will likely see a rezoning application this year that will give the museum more flexibility in future planning. It's already acknowledged that the Fannin Tower (the highrise housing the Provincial Archives) is aging and crowded.

A major redevelopment may be in the works.

I hope those buildings get a heritage designation, before someone wants to tear them down and erect condos.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users