Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1460 replies to this topic

#21 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:16 PM

No condos, no residential, but an expansion of the museum/archives is likely.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:55 AM

Heritage? Some of those buildings are less than 20 years old.

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

The museum moved into the present building in 1968 and the new archives was occupied in 1970.

If you want heritage designation you need to get the ball rolling sooner than you think. Otherwise they want to tear it down and replace it with something new and shiney and taller.

If there had been a hertitage designation for the bridge, a lot of the fuss wouldn't have happened. Now you can't get that, because the city isn't going to designate something they want to replace.

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

Why on earth would you want to preserve those? Wouldn't it be better to have something actually functional in their place?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

I'd replace the modern wing of city hall ten times before I'd replace the RBCM buildings. I have no problem with creative expansion, however. They did a good job with the RBCM's main entrance addition.

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

Otherwise they want to tear it down and replace it with something new and shiney and taller.

In Victoria they usually replace it with something new and dull and shorter.

#27 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

ROM to revamp Chinese warrior display

Armoured General: To guard the First Emperor in the afterlife all levels of military were represented in the Terracotta Army, including this Armoured General.
Handout: Royal Ontario Museum

James Bradshaw
Globe and Mail Update
Published on Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2010 2:39PM EST

The Royal Ontario Museum is promising a completely different look at China’s famed terra cotta army when it marches into Toronto this summer.
As expected, the ROM announced it will host The Warrior Emperor and China’s Terracotta Army starting June 26, part of a national tour that will take it to the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in early 2011; to Calgary’s Glenbow Museum, subject to board approval, that summer and fall; and to the Royal BC Museum in Victoria in late 2011 and early 2012.

Nice!

#28 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Nice!

Exciting!

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

http://www.timescolo...0565/story.html

Chinese terracotta warriors coming to Victoria

By Grania Litwin, Times Colonist

[...]

The warriors and horses of Emperor Qin Shi Huang date back to 210 B.C. They were discovered after farmers near Xi’an turned up a clay head while digging a well in 1974. Experts soon unearthed 2,000 warriors, chariots, horses, generals, officials and acrobats in what has been called one of the most significant archeological finds of the 20th century. Only a fraction of the complex has been exposed, and there are thousands more figures still buried — perhaps even an entire underground city.

[...]

I did not know that!

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

RBCM website:

Have you taken advantage of the Royal BC Museum's New Year's tradition? Visit the museum this week and pay your admission by donation. Visitors are asked to pay-what-they-can from Sunday January 2 to Sunday January 9.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

^^^

I did this last week. Their suggested donation was $5. I hadn't seen their newest exhibit of specimens out of their archives yet; it was really neat!

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

Me too!

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

The museum is currently re-building its fishing exhibit!

http://twitpic.com/4bvx1t

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Museum holds April Fool's scavenger hunt

Times Colonist March 31, 2011

Is it historically correct to see a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from the rear-view mirror on a Ford Model T? The joke's on you this April Fool's Day at the Royal British Columbia Museum as they present their first Scavenger Hunt.

http://www.timescolo...4229/story.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

The museum is seeking a new CEO.

For Immediate Release
May 12, 2011

Pauline Rafferty to retire after 10 years as CEO of the Royal BC Museum

The Royal BC Museum announced today that Pauline Rafferty will retire as CEO later this year once a successor has been selected by the Royal BC Museum’s Board of Directors.
Rafferty, who has lead the organization for 10 years, will remain as CEO during the recruitment process to ensure continuity and participate in the national search for her replacement.

“Pauline has been an extraordinarily effective and transformative executive for the Royal BC Museum,” said Chair John Williams. “After 35 years of Public service, we understand and support her as she plans what we hope will be a long and fulfilling retirement.”

Rafferty joined the Royal BC Museum in 1992 and has been CEO since 2001. During her time as CEO she has earned high praise from the community and her peers across the country for her passion in bringing the Royal BC Museum’s strategic vision to life and strengthening its position as one of the foremost cultural institutions in the world.

“I have one of the best jobs in British Columbia,” said Rafferty. “Every day brings new discoveries working with a talented and committed group of museum curators and scientists, exhibition designers and archivists to inspire curiosity and wonder and to share our B.C. story with the world.

“The Royal BC Museum is my home and there is still a lot of work to do before I pass the reins to a new CEO who will build on our pillars of success and take the museum and archives forward into its next exciting chapter of growth and development.”

Rafferty is the seventh person to lead the Royal BC Museum in its 125-year history. She is the first person and the first woman to head the Royal BC Museum Crown Corporation and one of only a few women to head a Crown Corporation in British Columbia.

Her accomplishments include:
- Leading the Royal BC Museum in its establishment as a legislated Crown corporation.
- Showcasing blockbuster international touring exhibitions like Titanic and Eternal Egypt.
- Being named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2008, 2009, and 2010.
- Overseeing the integration of the Royal BC Museum and the Provincial Archives.
- Championing a renewed vision for the Royal BC Museum and its long-term redevelopment plans.
- The historic return of artifacts to the Nisga’a Nation as part of the first modern day treaty to be signed in British Columbia.
- Past President of the Alliance of Natural History Museum of Canada, 2007-2010.

“The Board of Directors, the broader museum and archives community, and indeed the Province owe Pauline a large debt of gratitude for her exceptional work, accomplishments and commitment over the last decade,” added Williams.

About the Royal BC Museum
As the provincial museum and archives, the Royal BC Museum preserves and shares the stories of British Columbia – on‐site, off‐site and online – through its research, collections, exhibitions and educational programs. Its two‐hectare cultural precinct also includes a number of historically significant buildings and First Nations sites.
For more information about the Royal BC Museum, visit www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca or call 1‐888‐447‐7977.

Media Contact:
Royal BC Museum Media Enquiries
250‐387‐3207
news@royalbcmuseum.bc.ca

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Royal BC Museum says:

Before the summer tourist rush, we're offering a nice little incentive to locals. If you are a Greater Victoria resident, come visit the the Royal BC Museum between May 13 and May 31 and receive a free book with your paid adult admission. Just show proof of residence and take home "Free Spirit, Stories of You, Me and BC".

That's a $30-39 value. One book per group.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

They'll likely be at the government surplus depot for a fraction of that price in several months ;)

Know it all.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

I read this article and it got me quite excited. I thought "awesome, this guy knows what he's talking about!"

http://www.timescolo...0626/story.html

...These are beautiful, stunning, world-class objects.

"We must have the information about these objects. Let's think a little bit more about the communication."

The RBCM has an amazing collection of First Nations' objects that set it apart from museums around the world, Lohman said.

Coast Salish art "deserves to be better known, it's not known at all."

The RBCM is in need of a bit of magic, he said.

"When you walk through the doors of the museum, does it take your breath away?" asked Lohman. "No, it doesn't. You think you're in a hospital or a school or something."

His aim is to make the RBCM the best known museum in Canada, even the world.

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

^Excellent. Walking into the museum used to take your breath away--when you were confronted by the larger-than-life hunting canoe between two walls of cascading water. Today, seriously, the new Coast Capital bank in the Bay Centre is more impressive.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

The new dinosaur exhibit opens today:

VIDEO

http://dinosaurs.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users