Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1460 replies to this topic

#41 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

The Royal British Columbia Museum

IMG_9842.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

Great colours in that shot, Bingo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

I read this thread, excited about Terracotta Warriors, until I saw that was posted 3 years ago :) Nice shot!

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Great colours in that shot, Bingo.

Thanks Mike.  The museum is using blue lighting, and the sky often turns that colour at dusk.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

The discussion on the IMAX Victoria Theatre has been spun off into its own thread here :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

This is a good article in today's TC, makes a lot of good points.

http://www.timescolo...h.LeAA2rZb.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

The Royal B.C. Museum is exploring the idea of using the soon-to-be-closed Victoria Youth Custody Centre as storage space for its collections.

“We are looking at that space,” Angela Williams, the museum’s chief operating officer, confirmed Wednesday.

“We’re exploring the option of using space that is paid for by the taxpayer, owned by the taxpayer and is potentially an option for us. We have made no commitment one way or the other, and no decisions one way or the other.”

Williams could not say when she would know if the facility is suitable or financially viable.

“We keep crunching the numbers and looking at whether it’s viable or not. So I have no answer about when I’ll know.”

The museum and the archives continue to grow and accept collections, said Williams. Storage space is full at the museum and at three off-site storage warehouses.

“Currently, we are able to absorb the collections, but if you can imagine the state of storage, we’re going to have a need.”

Asked if the museum was looking at space other than the youth custody centre, Williams replied: “No, there are none.”

http://www.timescolo...orage-1.1528232

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

Why does the museum keep taking stuff if they have nowhere to display it?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:54 AM

Because their mandate is to preserve the art & artifacts that document the history of the province of British Columbia. Unless you can stop time or the creation of ANYTHING in the province, the collection will grow. I suppose you'd have them throw old the "really old stuff" to make space.

#50 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

I have never heard of any museum anywhere that has close to 100% of the items it owns on display. Museums, good ones anyway, are repositories and centers of research and historical record. You could replace the entire Capital Park project with a new four story museum building and still not be able to display all the items in the RBCM collections.

• Nparker, Mr Cook Street and Mixed365 like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#51 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

Uhh, every museum in the world (and art gallery) have huge collections of things that have never been shown.

• Nparker likes this

#52 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

Uhh, every museum in the world (and art gallery) have huge collections of things that have never been shown.

It's true and that is why they send their artifacts to other museums around the world to be shown. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

It's true and that is why they send their artifacts to other museums around the world to be shown. 

As does the RBCM: http://www.vancouver...0822/story.html

#54 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

They also just sent a bunch of Emily Carr paintings to London for a show.

• Nparker likes this

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

Royal BC Museum named best museum in Canada

http://globalnews.ca...seum-in-canada/

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

I think the Viking exhibit has to be the most boring one in recent years.

How many keys and buttons do you want to look at?

On the other hand the accompanying IMAX film was more interesting.

#57 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

RBCM (and others, like the Art Gallery and Maritime Museum) should try this: http://www.thespec.c...service/hosting

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

Museum is by donation until Friday, BTW.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:08 AM

Last day today for admission-by-donation.  If I was a hotel I would have run a smart promotion this week, admission to Royal BC Museum included with overnight stay!

Then when the guests check in, hand them each a quarter and say "there's your admission money".

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

Why even bother with donations? Why not a free pass for a week?

Incredible museums around the world are free year round but we can't even get a week?
  • Nparker and tedward like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users