Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1461 replies to this topic

#1341 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

Alarms trigger people and make them re-live past trauma, so have likely been disabled. Security guards represent toxic masculinity and the white male patriarchy, even when they identify as some other personage. I imagine the perpetrators (the real victims in this incident after all) were asked if they were alright and if they needed any assistance from museum staff to climb off the exhibit. I expect they were offered counselling. After this, I am sure they were hugged (after receiving permission of course) and told their story was important. At this point staff likely apologized and made assurances they would incorporate this truth into future RBCM programming.

• LJ, AllseeingEye, sebberry and 1 other like this

#1342 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 12:19 PM

Sounds like your work in government isn’t quite done yet!!

#1343 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 12:41 PM

So you think I should write government press releases?

#1344 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:18 PM

So you think I should write government press releases?

“dork looking for hipster credit causes museum to shine tusks”

#1345 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 04:16 AM

Standing on the cobbled main street of the once-popular Old Town, she was asked: “When will this place be open again?”

She said it was ­dependent on the feedback from the ­consultation now underway “and our ability to curate stories with communities.

“So it’s hard for me to say specifically when this is going to happen. I suspect what we will do is take it in phases so that we’re not redoing everything with a very long pause and then reopening all at once.”

Her best guess was “perhaps” this year.

But a day later the service plan was made public. It ­proclaimed: “The RBCM is now intensely focused on reopening the third-floor galleries to the public.”

It also refers to “an ­accelerated drive to reopen the closed gallery spaces” as one of the key financial and operational challenges ahead. Others listed are the years-long public engagement process and stewardship of the collections in preparation for moving them all to a new facility in Colwood.

Maybe it’s just semantics. But the service plan, which was signed in early February by the board chair, sounds lot more bound and determined to quickly re-open the third floor than the CEO does.

https://www.timescol...hurried-6647976

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2023 - 04:17 AM.

#1346 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:13 AM

Time to can the CEO without a parachute.

• Nparker likes this

#1347 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 11:56 AM

She is probably looking at a $500K paycheque for being obstinent.  I give her 6 months.

Edited by spanky123, 04 March 2023 - 12:00 PM.

#1348 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 15 March 2023 - 12:07 AM

Museums are too colonial, says Department of Canadian Heritage

The report also took issue with most archivists, curators, librarians and other museum employees in the country being white women

Potsmedia News Published: March 14, 2023

Canadian museums are too “colonial” and don’t cover enough pressing issues, according to a Department of Canadian Heritage report.

“Museums are colonial institutions,” the report Renewal Of The Canadian Museum Policy said, according to  Blacklock’s Reporter. “Museums are part of the colonial legacy.”

Cabinet has ordered revisions to a 1990 Museum Policy used as a guide by some 2,700 exhibitors, art galleries and heritage groups that rely on federal funding. “Canada’s museums are at a crossroads,” said the report.

“The 1990 policy does not take into consideration important societal shifts such as reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, addressing issues of equity, diversity and inclusion or the ongoing digital transformation,” wrote the department. “As a trusted source of information, museums can help educate the public and encourage debate on issues such as climate change, equity, diversity and inclusion. Museums must also consider these issues in their behind-the-scenes operations.”

The report also took issue with most archivists, curators, librarians and other museum employees in the country being white women, Blacklock’s said.

More: Museums are too colonial says Department of Canadian Heritage | Toronto Sun

Edited by FawltyVic, 15 March 2023 - 12:10 AM.

#1349 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 06:55 AM

How have we let this madness happen?

#1350 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:17 AM

They’ve lost the grip of the television to program the masses effectively so are amplifying the other platforms?
  • Matt R. likes this

#1351 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:24 AM

What frightens me most is the rewriting of history. Future generations may not ever know what has been lost.😨
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1352 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:36 AM

This whole thing started in the Universities with neo Marxism and has spread. 

Read the letter from the teachers union regarding the police. These are the people educating a whole generation of young children.

It has been one institution at a time. 

• Teardrop likes this

#1353 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:59 AM

I saw it forming when I was at university thirty years ago. It started with women’s studies then. Now we are at the point where men make better women than women and bend your knee to that or else. Just saying women is almost hate speech.

Neo Marxism is a good term for it.
Take something good in principle. Equal rights, justice for all, freedom to be yourself. Then espouse these virtues in a mad extreme way and turn it on its head and enact the opposite.
Equal rights for a virtually non existent ideal but not for you. Justice for all, but you. Freedom to be yourself if you are inline with the doctrine.
  • Nparker and On the Level like this

#1354 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 08:02 AM

Now we are at the point where men make better women than women and bend your knee to that or else. 

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.03.15-12_02_07.png

It's interesting that in the past of course there were complaints about men making more money, men being in the power positions in business, sports, politics.

So now a number of men have chosen to pretend to be women, in order to occupy those same spaces without criticism.

And a good proportion of us are going along with it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 March 2023 - 08:05 AM.

#1355 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 08:21 AM

A good example of the inversion is the masses getting a derogatory name for just being whatever you happened to be. “CIS gender.” That’s a crap name. I would like to lobby for something cooler that doesn’t sound like something you pop, or remove.
Maybe Retro gender?
  • Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#1356 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 08:27 AM

A good example of the inversion is the masses getting a derogatory name for just being whatever you happened to be. “CIS gender.” That’s a crap name. I would like to lobby for something cooler that doesn’t sound like something you pop, or remove.
Maybe Retro gender?

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.03.15-12_27_03.png

• Nparker likes this

#1357 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 08:31 AM

And a good proportion of us are going along with it.

I think it’s more that people didn’t see it coming, didn’t care, and the fundamental principle of woke is good. It’s the tiptoeing to totalitarianism that works every time.
I’m starting a new political class: Alt-Woke. A more true application of tolerance, justice, equality. To not use hate to battle hate. Or use censorship to promote free speech. To not teach racism to battle racism.
  • Nparker likes this

#1358 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 08:48 AM

The report also took issue with most archivists, curators, librarians and other museum employees in the country being white women, Blacklock’s said.

Called that a while back. Seems like white women now have earned the same disdain as white men.

• Nparker likes this

#1359 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:44 PM

Thomas Sowell on equity...

https://youtu.be/8WYi-64MejU

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 08:58 PM

That was brilliant. As one commentator on the above YouTube clip said:

Observe that he (Thomas Sowell) said all this in 1999. Obviously, his words have fallen on deaf ears, for things have progressed in the opposite direction all this time. Still, his words are there to be heard and read. We can only pray that the people who need his wisdom will find it...

What concerns me most is that it may already be too late to get things back on course.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users