Photo

Victoria's oldest houses

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

You cannot upload here (VV does not host images) but you can link from Flickr unless the photographer has forbidden it. Right click on the photo until you see it alone, without any text or links and but that address in the

My father's family lived for many years at 2800 Scott Street in a post-war house. Glenalan54 and my uncle were friends back in the 60s. I understand most of the subdivision was built 50 or 60 years ago so the old house in the photo must have been one of the first, back when Bowker Creek still wound through the neighbourhood. I'll make a guess that Belmont street is glimpsed in the background.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#42 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thank-you for the tip regarding images on VV.
Also I wish to mention that I have fond memories of Betty, Robert, Bill and quite a few photographs that I would be happy to share with you. Also I recall when I was nine or ten years old I met your great grandparents who used to live in a great old house I believe on Shakespere right around the corner from 2800 Scott Street. The house is still standing and I remember how kind they were to me.
The Randalls are a great family.

I just loved that picture of the house (that you now posted) and I went looking for it to give an updated picture. I'm always on the lookout for historic places.

#43 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

The house on Rockland used to be called "The Duvalls". Had to leave because of silverfish, an unfortunate byproduct of living in character houses! It's quite split up into apartments now. Hardwood floors throughout. I'll post some pics soon.

Trutch Street still had the original fireplace and interior, but the stairs were on their way out..tons of spiders in the Fall-Brown Bros managed it and the owner i think lived in Vancouver. Saw a few mice too!

#44 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

St. Anne's Chapel is considered a house?

Technically it is a House of God so the answer is yes its a house.

#45 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

This is one of my personal favorite old houses in Victoria. It is on Battery St and at one time its fron yard went right to Dallas rd. (as recently as 1947)

This Queen Anne house was built in 1889 and is called the W.M. Macaulay House.

William James purchased the Chemainus Lumber Mills from Robert Dunsmuir and later formed the Victoria Lumber Company.

This home originally had 9 fireplaces all rooms had hand painted ceilings ( frescos)

Cost to build $25 000 a handsome sum in the late 1880s

It is now part of a townhouse complex and the interior consists of many apartments.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

Here's an old duplex near my place.

Work appears to have halted some time ago.

Seems odd to just be sitting there, deteriorating away.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,151 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Here is one for you brainiacs. Where is the house of 7 kitchens in Victoria?

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Here is one for you brainiacs. Where is the house of 7 kitchens in Victoria?

One of Robin Kimpton's unauthorized renovations?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,151 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

^ :)

#50 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

This one here caught my eye yesterday nice lookiing brick apt block.

#51 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I have a copy of the Colonist from the 1960s which shows a number of famous Victoria houses under the headline, "They survived a hundred years". 

Most of them were torn down in the next ten years, including the Tolmie house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.