Photo

Victoria's oldest houses

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

You cannot upload here (VV does not host images) but you can link from Flickr unless the photographer has forbidden it. Right click on the photo until you see it alone, without any text or links and but that address in the

My father's family lived for many years at 2800 Scott Street in a post-war house. Glenalan54 and my uncle were friends back in the 60s. I understand most of the subdivision was built 50 or 60 years ago so the old house in the photo must have been one of the first, back when Bowker Creek still wound through the neighbourhood. I'll make a guess that Belmont street is glimpsed in the background.

#42 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thank-you for the tip regarding images on VV.
Also I wish to mention that I have fond memories of Betty, Robert, Bill and quite a few photographs that I would be happy to share with you. Also I recall when I was nine or ten years old I met your great grandparents who used to live in a great old house I believe on Shakespere right around the corner from 2800 Scott Street. The house is still standing and I remember how kind they were to me.
The Randalls are a great family.

I just loved that picture of the house (that you now posted) and I went looking for it to give an updated picture. I'm always on the lookout for historic places.

#43 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

The house on Rockland used to be called "The Duvalls". Had to leave because of silverfish, an unfortunate byproduct of living in character houses! It's quite split up into apartments now. Hardwood floors throughout. I'll post some pics soon.

Trutch Street still had the original fireplace and interior, but the stairs were on their way out..tons of spiders in the Fall-Brown Bros managed it and the owner i think lived in Vancouver. Saw a few mice too!

#44 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

St. Anne's Chapel is considered a house?

Technically it is a House of God so the answer is yes its a house.

#45 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

This is one of my personal favorite old houses in Victoria. It is on Battery St and at one time its fron yard went right to Dallas rd. (as recently as 1947)

This Queen Anne house was built in 1889 and is called the W.M. Macaulay House.

William James purchased the Chemainus Lumber Mills from Robert Dunsmuir and later formed the Victoria Lumber Company.

This home originally had 9 fireplaces all rooms had hand painted ceilings ( frescos)

Cost to build $25 000 a handsome sum in the late 1880s

It is now part of a townhouse complex and the interior consists of many apartments.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

Here's an old duplex near my place.

Work appears to have halted some time ago.

Seems odd to just be sitting there, deteriorating away.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Here is one for you brainiacs. Where is the house of 7 kitchens in Victoria?

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Here is one for you brainiacs. Where is the house of 7 kitchens in Victoria?

One of Robin Kimpton's unauthorized renovations?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

^ :)

#50 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

This one here caught my eye yesterday nice lookiing brick apt block.

#51 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I have a copy of the Colonist from the 1960s which shows a number of famous Victoria houses under the headline, "They survived a hundred years". 

Most of them were torn down in the next ten years, including the Tolmie house.

#52 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:28 PM

there is a video here too.  not sure why the drone flies off to space for the first minute of it.  but it comes back down for an (outdoor) tour after.

Classic 10 Suite Rockland Revenue Property! Featuring: 1 x 2BR, 4 x 1BR, and 5 x Bachelor Suites. First time on the market since 2003! This 2½-storey Tudor Revival Arts & Crafts style house was designed by architect Samuel Maclure with an admiration and influence from the work of Frank Lloyd Wright. Situated on a large 0.62 Acre property that offers further potential for development. Some suites offer Panoramic Views of Mt. Baker, Ocean and Amazing Sunrises to the East! A rare opportunity to purchase a character investment property in one of Victorias most sought after neighbourhoods!

$2,999,900

1031 Terrace Avenue

https://www.realtor....ctoria-rockland

863445_1.jpg

if you have never taken a walk or drive up terrace avenue it's really something.   i think the grounds of this building tells you once again that no matter what, people that live in an apartment building don't give two bits about the yard.  we really ought not to even have them for apartment buildings.

ARCHITECTURE:

This 2½-storey house combines Prairie School and Tudor Revival Arts & Crafts styles. It is asymmetrical and has a wide, bellcast hipped roof, wide eaves and a front-facing shed-roofed dormer with a balcony. There are extensions on the main floor on the right and left sides of the house. On the front façade, below the dormer, is an offset, wide front porch with tapered square posts supporting a balcony above. The balusters of the dormer and balcony are square; the porch has shingled posts and balustrades. The upper floor is stuccoed and half-timbered, and is separated from the shingled lower floor by a high corbelled belt course. The horizontal emphasis of the wide eaves is enhanced by the different surface treatments, and attests to Samuel Maclure’s admiration of the work of Frank Lloyd Wright and the Prairie School.

ORIGINAL OCCUPANTS:

1905-31: Dr. Francis Henry Stirling (b. France 1870- 1931) and his second wife, Marion Louisa (née Johnston, b.Kent, ENG 1872-1931), who came to BC in 1901. Francis grew up in Scotland, trained as an oculist in Vienna and came to BC in 1890. He married Jessie H. Smith in Nanaimo in 1891. She died in 1892 while giving birth to Jessie Dorothea. Francis continued his medical training and established a practice in Victoria in the early 1890s. He was an accomplished amateur golfer, winning several provincial championships.

OTHER OCCUPANTS:

Tenants: 1921: Arthur Charlton and Vina Burdick (1595 Rockland Av) rented the house.

1932-35: Strathcona Hotel manager Manuel “Albert” Wylde (b. New Westminster 1867-1956) and Alice Ellen (née Mesher, b. Farnham, ENG, 1869), with their daughter Victoria Wylde (b. Victoria 1897), a government steno. Alice was the sister of architect/contractor George C. Mesher (1004 Terrace Av).

1936-44: William Henry Langley (b. Victoria 1868-1951) was the son of Alfred and Mary Langley. [Alfred established a wholesale drug business in San Francisco in the early 1850s, then in Victoria in 1858. Langley St is named for him.] William was educated at Trinity College School at Port Hope, ON, then worked in the law offices of Drake, Jackson & Helmcken. He completed his legal education in London and was called to the BC bar in 1890. He worked with Archer Martin (1022-24 McGregor Av, Rockland), then Alexis Martin (1598 Rockland Av) until 1906, then established his own practice. In 1906 William married Gladys Annie Mona Baiss (1881-1978), a native of San Antonio, TX, who came to BC in 1888. He served overseas from 1916-18 and earned the rank of major. He was a solicitor for the justice department in Ottawa for nine years. William was also president of the Island Amusement Co, and a director of the Colonist Printing & Publishing Co. He retired in 1947 and died in 1951 when an E&N passenger train hit him at the Johnson St. Bridge. He had been living at a nursing home for two years and had wandered away.

1945-46: Contractor Sidney Coxworth (b. Markham, ON 1865-1951) and Harriet Edith Burton (née Evans, b. ENG 1880-1959) divided the house into apartments. Sidney then retired, at the age of 82.

1947-50: It was the 10-suite Terrace Court apartments, owned by Russell and Miriam McTavish.

https://victoriaheri...errace1031.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2021 - 03:40 PM.

#53 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:33 PM

The walk through Terrace Avenue is like stepping into a hidden passage.  

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#54 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:40 PM

The walk through Terrace Avenue is like stepping into a hidden passage.  

yes!  it's so neat.  i'm sure at some points it's barely 15 feet wide.  maybe less when you pinch between those trees 2/3 of the way up.

HERE is the google map trip if you'd like to take it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2021 - 05:47 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#55 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:12 AM

I love Terrace Ave., it's like the English countryside (take that Lisa Helps!). 

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

#56 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:09 PM

Terrace Ave. makes for some great running hill repeats, if any of you are so inclined ;)

• aastra likes this

#57 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:11 PM

^Hilarious, but tread with caution. The mods here will make you pay a steep price if you lean too hard on the puns.

#58 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:39 PM

Oak Bay council has placed a temporary protection order on a farmhouse built in the 1880s.

tc-173685-web-vka-hampshire-220213917937

The owner of the home at 2072 Hampshire Rd. wants to move the house to Metchosin and redevelop the 32,000-square-foot property into four lots. The land is listed for sale at $3.2 million.

https://www.timescol...e-it-1.24292412

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 March 2021 - 02:39 PM.

#59 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:55 PM

https://www.oakbay.c...-hampshire-road

This site is a rare example of an early rural farmhouse built in the early 1880s. At the core of the present building, is a farmhouse, built in the 1880s, that is one of two homes surviving from the early years of European settlement

#60 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:01 PM

it doesn't have 4 tennis courts like that guy across the street but it's ok.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users