Photo

The Victoria Economy Thread

• Please log in to reply
1026 replies to this topic

#681 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

It's a small but increasing trend — businesses opting not to accept cash. 

"We haven't heard of it a ton, it's not happening a lot, but it's certainly happening," said Brynn Winegard, a retail and marketing expert.

"I've heard of it happening in boutiques in malls, as an example, or independent retailers," she says.

But as Canadians move toward digital-only transactions, there are some concerns to be aware of.

Scott Hannah, the president of the Credit Counselling Society, says budgeting seems to be more difficult without paper money to guide your spending: with cash, once it's gone, it's gone.

Privacy is another potential issue: if all your purchases are made through a card or online, they can all be tracked. 

"There's an awful lot of information that's going around in terms of what we buy and how we buy it," said Hannah.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-cash-1.4428655

• Coreyburger likes this

#682 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:54 AM

^ Yup, all it will take is one major incident like a wide area power outage for folks to appreciate having some cash on hand. (thanksgiving 2008 for example)

#683 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Word on the street is that Genologics is shutting down. Don't know how many people are left but at one point they had close to 100 tech workers employed at the tech park. 

#684 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

^ Yup, all it will take is one major incident like a wide area power outage for folks to appreciate having some cash on hand. (thanksgiving 2008 for example)

I was a supervisor at the James Bay Thrifty Foods then. We closed the doors when the power went out, so cash would of done you no good.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#685 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

A University of British Columbia student's research paper has revealed that for some grocers, penny rounding can be lucrative.

She then made a discovery: a typical grocery store would earn an additional $157 of revenue from rounding each year.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4440481?cmp=rss

Now, ignoring that most if not the overwhelming vast majority of people do not buy one item at a time at the grocery store...

WTF is this story even making the news?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 December 2017 - 06:59 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#686 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

That sounds like an absolutely horrible research paper. I get that a lot of research is boring, but c'mon...

#687 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

Now, ignoring that most if not the overwhelming vast majority of people do not buy one item at a time at the grocery store...

Pretty amazing stuff until you realize that most people don't go to the grocery store to purchase 1 item. As soon as you purchase multiple items then you are back to the law of averages.

#688 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

Average grocery basket size in Canada is about $53.

https://www.statista...trip-in-canada/

So how the items offered at $2.98 or $3.69 have an factor in this is beyond me.  Especially when most transactions are credit or debit, so there is no rounding anyway.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#689 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

$157 earned per year, or $0.43 per day.

You have to give this student some credit for pursuing something she felt was worthy of her time, but $0.43 per day is not an advantage, as the CBC posits. I'm sure there is more change swept up from the floors of grocery stores every day than $0.43.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#690 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

^ right.  Every day your average grocery store also throws away hundreds of dollars worth of produce.

#691 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

$157 earned per year, or $0.43 per day.

You have to give this student some credit for pursuing something she felt was worthy of her time, but $0.43 per day is not an advantage, as the CBC posits. I'm sure there is more change swept up from the floors of grocery stores every day than $0.43.

Not only that but you could use the argument that grocery stores discount their prices by $.01 to have the prices appear more attractive (ie something they have been doing for decades). On that basis then the $.99 pricing actually costs them money each year.

#692 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

Right!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#693 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Not only that but you could use the argument that grocery stores discount their prices by $.01 to have the prices appear more attractive (ie something they have been doing for decades). On that basis then the $.99 pricing actually costs them money each year.

Shelf price doesn't include tax, so that $0.99 becomes $1.04 or $1.11 (depending on the item). They gain a cent on produce, lose a cent on processed foods.

#694 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

Yikes...

The BC Investment Management Corp., one of the country’s largest pension managers, has laid off “about 20” of its investment professionals, a mix of analysts and portfolio managers who largely worked in equities.

Part of the problem was the sudden, and seemingly chaotic way in which the layoffs were carried out.

On the day of the layoffs, a source said, emails were sent advising some staff to go to one location and the rest to another, to hear the good or bad news. But some wound up in the wrong room and had to be pulled out and redirected before the news was delivered.

http://business.fina...ns-about-morale

#695 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

This doesn't really surprise me based on the abysmal way in which recent changes to the Public Service Pension Plan were announced.

#696 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

BCIMC and Pension Corp are two completely separate entities though, aren't they?

#697 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

BCIMC and Pension Corp are two completely separate entities though, aren't they?

Yes, but my point was that bad decisions are being made throughout the public pension system.

#698 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

I had heard about this recent firing squad mishap. That's something you don't want making the news.

BCIMC recently re-branded as BCI now btw.

#699 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

...BCIMC recently re-branded as BCI now btw.

I suppose this resolves them of actually managing anything.

#700 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

BCIMC manages the investments for the Public Service Pension Plan. BC Pension Corporation administers the plan according to the direction provided by the Public Service Pension Board of Trustees. The board implemented changes to the PSPP to modernize the plan and make it more equitable. The changes were not related in any way to performance by employees of BCIMC or the Pension Corporation, and therefore it's unlikely any would be laid off as a result of plan design changes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)