The Victoria Economy Thread

• Please log in to reply
1026 replies to this topic

#841 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:02 AM

I need to get a job in and fish and chip joint. Will report back.

ETA: none of the three usual seafood suppliers stock it or have access to it.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 14 July 2020 - 12:08 PM.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#842 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:25 AM

If the fish is mushy, just go with that. Turn the problem into a feature. Breakfast has better food costs than dinner, introduce hake oatmeal.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#843 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:11 PM

Might benefit from salting and then rehydrating, like brandade or bacalao. Hake is a type of cod I think, maybe that’s why there is such an overseas demand.

Matt.

#844 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

I’m not very familiar with hake, but it’s got a very poor shelf life, which wouldn’t work for food service very well.

Matt.

^But it would work in a high-volume operation like fish and chips shops where your par levels are pretty consistent and there's little or nothing left over at the end of the night.

i've heard of chip shops that don't have freezers and they close down for the day when they run out of fresh fish. i would say it can be done. if hake is mushy, it might be worth a try to mix it up with mashed potatoes, make little footballs & fry them like the portuguese do with pasteis de bacalhau. no more $20 halibut & chips!

Edited by amor de cosmos, 14 July 2020 - 01:24 PM.

#845 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

I wish we had plaice here. Very common in the UK for fish and chips, which I find so expensive here now we rarely have it. Here it seems to be all batter and no fish. Used to be the poor man's treat in the UK.

• Nparker and johnk2 like this

#846 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:34 PM

Had the chance to take a quick trip up island these past few days. I have never it so active with tourists. Hotels and resorts are full, restaurants are packed and stores are busy.  Meanwhile in Victoria, hotels are struggling with sub 20% occupancy and retailers downtown are folding.

You wonder how much having businesses shuttered, homeless littering the streets and our major park being so unsafe that City staff refuse to go there may be impacting perceptions of our fine city. 

#847 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

up island hotels are full?

no.

#848 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

up island hotels are full?

no.

No vacancy signs everywhere.

#849 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:51 PM

they are likely just closed. or limited rooms. no housekeeping staff.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 July 2020 - 01:51 PM.

#850 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

It is quite possible that room inventory is being reduced but the places are definitely not closed as there are lots of Alberta and mainland cars in the parking lots.

I stopped in at Rutherford Mall last week and only saw 1 store closed. Compare that to what is going on locally. 

#851 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:13 AM

...Next year will get very interesting [re property taxes] but that's for another thread...

If the CoV wasn't governed by ideologically driven fools, they would be thinking ahead to achieving a balance between necessary expenditures and expected revenues.

#852 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

I received a letter in the mail today advising that effective January 9, 2021, Coast Capital Savings will be permanently closing its James Bay Branch and amalgamating it with the Bay Centre location. The JB branch has been closed since March due to the plague, but will re-open from September 8 until the end of the year to help with the transition.

#853 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:05 PM

They must have heard that their biggest investor, Nparker, was thinking of moving out of James Bay.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#854 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:08 PM

They must have heard that their biggest investor, Nparker, was thinking of moving out of James Bay.

CCS waited a while to make their decision; I moved out of James Bay in 1993*.

*of course back then I was known as JBayer  :banana: 

• Hotel Mike likes this

#855 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:43 PM

I received a letter in the mail today advising that effective January 9, 2021, Coast Capital Savings will be permanently closing its James Bay Branch and amalgamating it with the Bay Centre location. The JB branch has been closed since March due to the plague, but will re-open from September 8 until the end of the year to help with the transition.

Many will be too young to remember this, but that branch is essentially the very first location of what eventually became Coast Capital.

It was, for a time, the first and only location of WestCoast Savings, which at the time was a tiny James Bay centric savings union.

I know, because as a kid out of Vic High, I had a job in James Bay ... and I opened an account there so I could cash my paycheque. It took me a while to realize that that was the only location of WestCoast Savings, and that once I got a job downtown, I had to drive down to James Bay to cash my cheque.

No such thing as cross-branch or internet banking back then!

Edited by Spy Black, 03 September 2020 - 04:53 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#856 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:10 PM

^That reminded me of a storey back when I banked with Canada Permanent. I took my paycheck in to cash, the cashier wouldn't cash it because it was dated with tomorrow's date. Walked outside to the ATM and made the deposit/withdrawal.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#857 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:16 PM

Damn kids today don't know the misery of banking back then.

#858 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:20 PM

Many will be too young to remember this, but that branch is essentially the very first location of what eventually became Coast Capital.
It was, for a time, the first and only location of WestCoast Savings, which at the time was a tiny James Bay centric savings union.

I know, because as a kid out of Vic High, I had a job in James Bay ... and I opened an account there so I could cash my paycheque. It took me a while to realize that that was the only location of WestCoast Savings, and that once I got a job downtown, I had to drive down to James Bay to cash my cheque.
No such thing as cross-branch or internet banking back then!

That’s newsworthy, for sure! And it was in the building at 239 Menzies, not any other space? Would this have been in the late 80 or early 90, something to the effect?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#859 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:04 AM

That’s newsworthy, for sure! And it was in the building at 239 Menzies, not any other space? Would this have been in the late 80 or early 90, something to the effect?

much earlier i think.  i think by the early 80's west coast savings had many branches.  

Coast Capital Savings found its beginnings in 1940 as a co-operative of BC government employees later emerging as Pacific Coast Savings Credit Union throughout a series of mergers of local Vancouver Island credit unions. 

https://en.wikipedia...Savings#History

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 September 2020 - 04:08 AM.

#860 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:26 AM

It was in that exact same building. 

The building has seen more than a few renovations, but it's the same building.

It always had a pass-through to drive into the rear parking lot, albeit not as fancy as the one that's there today.

I opened my account there in 1975

Edited by Spy Black, 04 September 2020 - 05:28 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users