Rifflandia Music Festival

• Please log in to reply
478 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

The festival has been cancelled for this year. Atomiq Productions expects to hold it again in 2020.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:03 PM

Atomique purchased a nightclub a while back, and once a business tastes those yummy profits from selling severely marked up liquor to their patrons ... patrons who have already spent $20.00 or $30.00 (or more) on a ticket to get in just to have the privilege of buying your booze (along with presumably seeing a favourite band) ... well, once you've dipped your toes into that well, it's pretty hard to commit to dedicating massive amounts of money, and massive amounts of resources (human and otherwise) to an event that may or may not have ever been profitable.

Atomique has their own little venue to book their indie bands into now, with a massive nightly cashflow typical of any club.

Atomique no longer has any need for a raised profile via Rock the Shores or Rifflandia ... I doubt we'll see either one of them ever again.

#163 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

Atomique Productions will still produce several upcoming events, including the Cook Street Village Block Party, Car Free YYJ, Victoria’s Canada Day festivities, and the Phillips Backyard Weekender.

https://www.timescol...2020-1.23832193

plus they have taxpayer-funded gigs.

#164 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

Atomique has their own little venue to book their indie bands into now, with a massive nightly cashflow typical of any club.

hasn't almost every nightclub now closed though?  maybe there is not that much money in it.

#165 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

plus they have taxpayer-funded gigs.

Indeed, most of those have somebody else paying for the advance infrastructure, labour, and other sundry expenses ... and Atomique pocketing a healthy profit.

Rifflandia and Rock the Shores are massive advance cash-hogs, with huge labour and infrastructure costs, not to mention an incredibly large chunk of change that has to go directly to the artists in advance.

It's questionable if either of these two events were ever profitable in any sense other than raising the profile of Atomique ... such that they're now the "go-to" company for taxpayer funded special events, and anything involving selling a ton of booze at some sort of semi-private street festival, like Phillips Backyard Weekender.

Edited by Cassidy, 23 May 2019 - 05:16 PM.

#166 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:15 PM

hasn't almost every nightclub now closed though?  maybe there is not that much money in it.

They're doing well enough.

Successful night clubs have successful formulas, and Atomique's very successful formula is pretty much to present the only decent live band nightclub that's producing shows featuring recording artists on a continuous basis in town.

Atomique also have a deep infrastructure in place to book an incredibly wide variety of indie, and otherwise upcoming live acts from across Canada, the U.S., and even further abroad.

That they also do the typical club "theme nights" doesn't hurt the bottom line either.

Edited by Cassidy, 23 May 2019 - 05:17 PM.

#167 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

atomique says rifflandia was not profitable at all from 2008 to 2017.

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

But it was in 2018?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#169 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

atomique says rifflandia was not profitable at all from 2008 to 2017.

That's accurate.

But I guess too it depends on how widely you want to define what might constitute "profits"?

Rifflandia put Atomique on an international map in terms of both business opportunities and overall respect in the business.

It literally made them what they are today.

We also speak of "Atomique", but really there are a lot of umbrella companies, Amelia Artists, the nightclub, and probably a bunch I don't know about.

Rifflandia and Rock the Shores were really just part of a much wider "Atomique" net, a lot of which is invisible to the average entertainment consumer.

Edited by Cassidy, 23 May 2019 - 05:27 PM.

#170 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

Atomique purchased a nightclub a while back, and once a business tastes those yummy profits from selling severely marked up liquor to their patrons ... patrons who have already spent $20.00 or $30.00 (or more) on a ticket to get in just to have the privilege of buying your booze (along with presumably seeing a favourite band) ... well, once you've dipped your toes into that well, it's pretty hard to commit to dedicating massive amounts of money, and massive amounts of resources (human and otherwise) to an event that may or may not have ever been profitable.

Atomique no longer has any need for a raised profile via Rock the Shores or Rifflandia ... I doubt we'll see either one of them ever again.

Atomique does not own Capital Ballroom. The two owners of Atomique along with multiple industry people purchased the club but it is a completely separate entity. Easy to see why people think that though.

• Mike K. likes this

#171 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

I suspect the rough condition of the Canadian dollar has a lot to do with things, along with having hit Peak Festival a few years back and people burning out.

#172 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

I suspect the rough condition of the Canadian dollar has a lot to do with things, along with having hit Peak Festival a few years back and people burning out.

And a slowing economy which will start to limit discretionary spending.

Edited by spanky123, 24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM.

#173 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

Also limited discretionary spending which will start to slow the economy.

I can't afford to attend a music festival - I spent all my money on a tank of gas an electric car.

(Not really. I haven't bought an electric car, yet.)

#174 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

Atomique does not own Capital Ballroom. The two owners of Atomique along with multiple industry people purchased the club but it is a completely separate entity. Easy to see why people think that though.

It's owned by Atomique management, and Atomique senior employees.

It's booked by Atomique.

You can define "Atomique" however you see fit to ... I'm fine with my definition.

#175 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

The new ownership group features members of the local music, media, and food and beverage sectors. Joining Demers and Blasko as owners are Glen Barlow, Adam Duron, Chris Hibbins, Morgan Brooker, Stephen Franke, Colin McTaggart and Dylan Willows.

https://www.timescol...tclub-1.2281888

#176 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

Most of those folks work for or with ... wait for it .........Atomique.

#177 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

Most of those folks work for or with ... wait for it .........Atomique.

I am very well aware of those involved with the purchase. I actually work for two of the companies that some of the purchasers run. All i'm saying is that Capital Ballroom is a separate entity from Atomique Productions. 

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:06 PM

Thanks, Kayla.

I’ve always wondered if the group also owns the building, or whether development plans can push the operation aside. Are you able to speak to that?

Know it all.

#179 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:21 PM

I’ve always wondered if the group also owns the building.....

They purchased the lease from Damian Cownden (Sugar).

#180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:36 AM

Ah! Thank you.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users