[Marine] Belleville Terminal and Coho/Clipper services

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

This is the issue I want to see addressed during the first year of the new council.

#2 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hockey Fan -
So what is it that you want? Do you really want the Coho moved out of the harbour?
Pieta VanDyke

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

I think we're mostly concerned about making sure it STAYS in the harbour where it belongs and that this important entrance to our city and point of interest and activity, dare I say vibrancy, isn't replaced by yet another useless paved open space.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

wasn't there a thread where people could post their top 10 most important issues for the next city council? shouldn't this thread be absorbed by that one?

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

Hockey Fan -
So what is it that you want? Do you really want the Coho moved out of the harbour?

Nope. I want to see it stay, plus proper facilities for arriving tourists.

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

Here you go VicHockeyFan... from Rob Reid's website

Harbour
My Vision:

Our harbour is a focal point of Victoria’s tourism industry. We can embrace this through beautification of our shorelines and through completion of the harbour pathway. The harbour offers economic opportunities in tourism and industry. With the proposed marine technology centre in Sidney there will be new opportunities in wave and wind technology that can support the region. We need to continue to work with the Province to ensure that the Belleville Terminal remains a gateway for tourism with space for passenger and vehicle ferries. On a federal level we can work with Transport Canada in ensuring that the infrastructure for our marine airport is sustained and that safety standards are maintained for this important corridor. Our harbour is part of our heritiage and we should celebrate this by encouraging and enabling museums, interpretive wayfinding and amenities .

Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

^ Excellent. Good to see that someone is paying attention. Anyone that wants the Coho out of the harbour loses my vote.

#8 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

I don't know why anyone would seriously consider moving the Coho terminal somewhere else. I have a feeling that any candidate advocating that would crash & burn. I still think all the ferries (Coho, Clipper, Express & anything else) should be consolidated into a single terminal, if possible. That sounds like it would be tricky though. Here's the old top 10 issues thread:
http://www.vibrantvi...read.php?t=2880

#9 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:08 PM

Just for the record - I don't support moving the Coho, but do support beautifying the site.

The notion of moving the Coho came up during the task force review process when the US Homeland Security officials came up and informed the group of all the modifications that would be required to meet their (new?) standards. The cost of meeting these standards would have been so high that cost recovery on site - a requirement by the Province, who did not want to put a penny towards the project - would not be enough. So they concluded that the only way to beautify the site and have it pay for itself would be to take out the Coho and put in a hotel!

reminds me of what happened to the baby when the bathwater was thrown out......
Pieta VanDyke

#10 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

Pieta thank you for posting your position on this issue. Please feel free to post on any of the other issue threads.

The intent of this section of the board is to get the positions of candidates on various issues. Probably in most cases members will be cutting and pasting from second hand sources. Because this is driven by forum members interest, not all candidates are likely to be equally represented, but all candidates do have equal opportunity to set the record straight.

What we'd much rather see is candidates saying it in their own words!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#11 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

Ours is the most active working harbour in Canada with the busy co-existence of float planes, harbour ferries, Coho, Clipper etc.. and reflects Victoria as an important port city with a rich maritime past.

While US Homeland Security has threatened to close their customs office if the Belleville Terminal is not moved - all talks/plans are on hold at the moment - a task force has been formed but there is no news on where things are at on that score.

I do agree that the terminal is a second rate facility and not a welcoming site for tourist - so it does need to be upgraded for sure - but I would be 100% against seeing it moved.

Sue
www.susanwoodsforvictoria.com

#12 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

I was wrong in saying US customs has threatened to pull out Victoria if the Belleville Terminal is not moved. The fact is that they want it to be upgraded to current international security standards - and the cost of doing so has led to local talk about moving it out of the harbour. Sorry for the misinformation (I need a vacation :-)

Sue

#13 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

The terminal is an important part of the harbour and I think a whole lot of people like seeing the Coho, a real working blue water ship.
But the current terminal stinks and sends a very poor message to both arrivals and passers-by. The Inner harbour is a gem unique in Canada and deserves better than this eyesore.
And while we're at it, tow away and scuttle that ghastly "undersea garden" floating coffin.

#14 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Sorry, slightly off topic, but why the heck does US customs and/or immigration have an office at the Coho anyway? And why do they get a say in how it is outfitted?

#15 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

They do customs pre-clearance for US tourists and Canadians heading to Seatte and Port Angeles - folks can just walk off on the other side.

They want to upgrade the terminal with post 9/11 security measures. If they pull out people will have to pass customs upon arrival in USA.

Personally I think it benefits us to have them here for the security of the harbour.

Sue

#16 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:11 AM

They do customs pre-clearance for US tourists and Canadians heading to Seatte and Port Angeles - folks can just walk off on the other side.

This is what has always driven me nuts about it. You are cleared for INS on the Canadian side and then go through customs on the US side. Has that changed?

You don't have to do this for air travel, so why for the ferry? I don't see how its in anyone's advantage to have to line up twice.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

^ Actually for air travel in many canadian airports you do pre-screen for entry into the US. At least in Vancouver and Calgary. Not sure about other locations.

#18 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:18 AM

Toronto too I think.

#19 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

Yes, similiar to air travel, US Customs and Border Protection pre-screen Canadians for citizenship verification, criminal and security checks. However, US residents have to get cleared through customs upon arrival in Port Angeles/ Seattle.

Cheers Sue

#20 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

At least if you are going to get denied you don't have to take the ferry ride.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users