Photo

[Marine] Belleville Terminal and Coho/Clipper services

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#21 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Good point. And they've just implemented a fuel surtax as well.

#22 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

Then again, I don't know where else you can get a corndog these days :-)

#23 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

To provide some historic perspective, the entire reason why downtown Victoria looks the way it does is because of boats like the Coho. Francis Rattenbury specifically located and designed the Parliament Buildings and the Empress (named after CP's Empress ships) to provide a grand entrance to the city for passengers arriving by boat -- the main way that anyone got to Victoria a century ago.

Not only should the Coho be kept at the Belleville terminal, there should be even more ships landing in the Inner Harbour (e.g. from Vancouver). It certainly would provide visitors with a better first impression of our city than the malls of Douglas and Blanshard.

#24 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

Yep, the harbour is our fancy grand main entrance to the city. I guess that makes Saanich the service entrance haha.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#25 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

Then again, I don't know where else you can get a corndog these days :-)

You can get 'em in Quebec. They're called "Pogos". I like that name better than corndog.:D

#26 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

My friend always seems to have a freezer full of corn dogs, or are the supermarket type not real enough? Is it like ego waffles vrs actual waffles?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#27 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

You can get 'em in Quebec. They're called "Pogos". I like that name better than corndog.

As long as they're deep fried, coated in corn meal, salt, msg, covered in mustard - and perched on a popsicle stick - I'm happy to call them either.

#28 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

My friend always seems to have a freezer full of corn dogs, or are the supermarket type not real enough? Is it like ego waffles vrs actual waffles?

No they are the fake variety. An authentic corn dog (pogo) is a culinary delight that simply can't be reproduced in a factory.

I wonder if they fall within the perimeter of the "100 Mile Diet?" Port Angeles is only 27K away!

#29 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

No they are the fake variety. An authentic corn dog (pogo) is a culinary delight that simply can't be reproduced in a factory.

I wonder if they fall within the perimeter of the "100 Mile Diet?"
Port Angeles is only 27K away!

That is actually a very good point - a 100 mile (and why not KM as we live in Canada, metric zone?) diet includes much of the Fraser Valley, Olympic Penn, and Northern Washington State (from Vic). In fact we are closer to those regions than the north of Van. Ils. However, the carbon cost (which is one of the main reasons to promote this) is much higher when both trucking and ferries are included. We might end up promoting processed mystery meat from Port Angeles over fair trade oranges from Mexico.

#30 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

Not to mention Joe Louis cakes.

#31 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

But I digress...

Fact is the Tall Ships Festival, Heritage Boat Festival, the 2005 world-wide sailing race in which we were a host port and will be again in a few years, traditional and eco tourism, and, as mentioned by Jacques, the foresight and legacy left to Victoria by Rattenbury, are all good reasons to sustain the Inner Harbour as the jewel in our crown.

Every city needs a heart and the Inner Harbour is most certainly Victoria's.

Opps almost lunch time. I hear a pop tart calling my name.

For now, Sue

#32 Tim Van Alstine

Tim Van Alstine
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

I was wrong in saying US customs has threatened to pull out Victoria if the Belleville Terminal is not moved. The fact is that they want it to be upgraded to current international security standards - and the cost of doing so has led to local talk about moving it out of the harbour. Sorry for the misinformation (I need a vacation :-)

Sue

The fact is as a person that did actually sit on the Belliville Committee US Homeland Security did in fact say during our process that they were considering closing Belliville as a point of entry. It fell too far below international standards in their veiw. That was the information that swayed the Committee to the recomendation to move the COHO. The COHO fought back "good on them"
by getting both
the mayor of Port Angeles onside and many local politicos.
PS Ryan Burles the President of the COHOis a fine man,and a dear friend of mine.

#33 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Seems like the Clipper people are not too satisfied with their accommodation.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#34 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

^ Good for them!

Bingo, great photos. Any more - perhaps of 'rag hangers' rather than 'stink pots'?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#35 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Tall Ships in Victoria - 2005

#36 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

Great to see Clipper complaining so openly about their accomodations. What has it been, seven years since the Mayor's Blue Ribbon Task Force came out with their recommendations for revitalizing that area? I should be surprised nothing has changed but really I'm not.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

The terminal conditions are an embarrassment. But then again the terminal at Pier 69 in Seattle isn't much better as far as passenger comfort is concerned, and the more I think about it the more comparable both terminals are to each other despite the "severity" of local conditions.

To be honest any redevelopment of the terminal facilities will be purpose-built for only two or three operators, so one wonders how Clipper and Coho feel about investing several million dollars each for modern digs or paying massive fees and whether that has anything to do with delays.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

The terminal conditions are an embarrassment. But then again the terminal at Pier 69 in Seattle isn't much better as far as passenger comfort is concerned, and the more I think about it the more comparable both terminals are to each other.

To be honest any redevelopment of the terminal facilities will be purpose-built for only two or three operators, so one wonders how Clipper and Coho feel about investing several million dollars each for modern digs or paying massive fees and whether that has anything to do with delays.

I've said it before, and I've looked at every single Tripadvisor review of the Clipper and Coho. Nobody complains about it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

That first paragraph (third sentence) needs a couple more commas too.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

My personal opinion is that Merideth Tall is being rude by posting that sign. As a private American business woman she is pressuring the Canadian taxpayer to buck up to her demands and make her business more profitable with our money.

Perhaps she would like to buy her own waterfront property and build her own terminal building and keep her hands to herself and out of yours and my pocket.

The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority has big plans in the future for this harbour. Her efforts to work within that plan should start by taking down that sign and picking up the phone.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users